• This topic has 62 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Mayhem 2015 – the sun shone, the rain drizzled and we won – finally!
  • gee
    Free Member

What a great weekend. Course was suitable for the event, sensible climbs, same layout as 2014.

After a pretty terrible start with a puncture on lap 1 and a team mate crashing into a photographer on lap 3 and trashing a wheel it all went smoothly thereafter and we won overall/open men by a lap… For me, this was my season goal achieved, I’ve been trying to win this race since 2001!

Full write-up to come.

What did you all think?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Congrats on the win. Hopefully get my self signed up for next year’s, it’s been a while.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Was a lap better than last year for me (20 solo) and other than one stack and lots of cramp, I didn’t have major issues. My MaxxD packed in sadly. The blokes at Exposure sorted it in 20 seconds. User error!!!!

Second unsupported solo done. Fancy a team ride next.

gee
    Free Member

Most embarrassing moment… Slipping out on the chicane under the finish arch at about 3am on the wet dewey grass… Oops. Not paying attention.

rOcKeTdOg

I thought it was a lot quieter than last year, less people in the expo area, seemed less people on the course too as far as I could see.

So easier to win, less competition & easier to pass the few that were there > 😉 <

gee
    Free Member

Numbers were up on last year – 1500+

And yes I realise your post was a joke, it’s just nice to see the event recovering after 2012.

beaker

Loved every minute! Big respect to the solo riders, don’t know how they do it. Thanks to the Marshals, especially the one that checked I was ok after getting a bit cocky on a descent. She said she knew I was going to stoof in as I rode past but neglected to inform me of her premonition.

Roll on next year!

bigblackshed

20 laps solo????????? 😯

Last time I did it, 2007 I think, I managed 5 laps solo. But then I went for the BBQ, beer, social, and arsing about. My mate managed 3 laps solo SS, last one was on an old school BMX, came dead last. He won a SRAM groupset, because he was obviously crap at SSing.

squealer
    Free Member

Phil?

mikertroid
    Free Member

BBS,

Guys did over 30! I was mere track litter!

tazzymtb

Turned up, drank far too much booze, mucked about on singlespeeds, shouted encouragement to the geared folk who looked they were hurting on the climbs, snotted cinamon whiskey vomit out of my nose on the cheeky little grass climb. Usual happy taz twatting about really. Was ace to see a load of friends and even ace-er to see the fast folks do well. Nice one gee and matt et al, and top job to dorris day for twatting the solo on rigid single speed and still being chatty and friendly as he hooned past.

sorry if I my slightly drunken ramblings disturbed anyone

ollieT
    Free Member

Had a great weekend. I rode in a sport team bike city t4. We traded first place for hours. At 22 hours in there was still only 18 secs in it. Sadly we lost out and had to settle for second but thats the sort of racing you need. There was plenty of room to pass and be passed and there was a good atmosphere out on the course. Also nice to be on the podium again.

nickc

I’ve been trying to win this race since 2001!

what are you going to do now? 😆

really pleased for you, can only imagine what that must feel like, congrats!

grahamh
    Free Member

After a pretty terrible start with a puncture on lap 1 and a team mate crashing into a photographer on lap 3 and trashing a wheel

I spoke to a photographer in an “Go Outdoor” vest, he said the a rider had crashed into him after losing in on a downhill, if not he’d have ended in a bard wire fence 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

My best result (though far from my best performance!) to date this year… 11th in Mixed Teams of 5 with 32 laps between us (I appreciate Dorris did this on his own, but he’s a machine, we’re only humans!).

Big shout out to two of my team mates in particular, who did 19 of the 32 laps between them, all of them at a good pace. My GF was doing incredibly well too, until on her 4th lap she had an unfortunate off and hurt her leg and bent her disc rotor beyond repair, so we were down to 4. Then after 3 pacey (by my standards) laps myself, I had a nightmare! I was out at 4am, having tried to get some sleep but basically failed, and I’d fallen foul of Quaver’s (increasingly poor) catering, and spent the most of my 4th lap trying to keep the contents of my stomach inside. I apologise now to anyone riding the dawn lap, if you thought you’d come across pockets of Marsh Gas at various points along the course, it was me! I was in pain, and even tried to be sick unsuccessfully… It was 71 minutes (yes really!) of hell I wish never to have to repeat. Fortunately my nightmare lap didn’t seem to cost us a place at least.

akira

First time for me, solid middle of the table effort in a team of four. Course was really good and managed not to push up any of the climbs so a small personal victory. Getting up at three in the morning and taking 45 mins to eat a croissant while staring into space was interesting.

gee
    Free Member

Grahamh – yep that’ll be him. It wasn’t barbed wire though. He didn’t appreciate quote how hard it is to slow down on steep shiny grass for a tight corner… Unfortunately he could only arrive Sat am so hadn’t preridden.

grahamh
    Free Member

Your team mate must have collided with him some time after I had walked past him.

hora
    Free Member

Congratulations you utterly fit bastard! 😀

Dickyboy

Well done Gee, my only achievement of the weekend was discovering that I can fit 3 bikes, 3 people & camping gear all inside my car after Crazy Alan concluded that cycling the 80 miles home was not an option after 20 laps on a fatbike 😯

shortcut

Well done to GB and co – cracking result.

I was having fun in a team of ten. So lots of time for being social, clowning around etc in the 6hours between laps, even so surprisingly little sleep.

Team of 10 really is the way to go. Although the category was missing Isla Bike Factory team and a strong Malvern team from last year. This meant the win was there for the taking. So we did!!

benji
    Free Member

Top weekend, first go solo having done team of 4 last year, but the allure of solo and a fat bike was too much, it was great fun, managed 15 laps, and maybe too much of a sleep, but it’s all good fun, 15 laps, and climbed every climb, couldn’t believe seeing folks walking on the first lap.

I might have a slight complex about my weight now, having been heckled by hundreds of strangers as go on fatty, they also seemed to appreciate the full zip jersey well open as well. The spectators really made it, loads of shouts of encouragement, high5’s from the little people, cheers if you played on their ramps.

Not sure how Dorris manages it, wins, despite a broken fork, and when catching you for a lap, remembers your name, and shouts encouragement, a truely inspirational champion.

Plenty of photographers out, so hopefully there will be a few links later to piccys, there should be shots of suffering than a rapha brochure.

gazhurst
    Free Member

What a fantastic event and an awesome atmosphere!

I was in the team of 10 with shortcut so it all felt a little relaxed and laid back for us. Almost like cheating. I have to echo shortcut though, Absolutely zero sleep even though we had about 6 hours off made me feel like death so I take my hat off to those who turned those pedals for 24 hours.

The friendly nature and inclusiveness of the whole event is what makes it. Long may it continue and grow even bigger than the sizeable event it already is. I was blown away by how polite everyone (and I mean everyone) was out on course. It was almost embarrasing knowing the only reason I was passing people on the climbs was because I was pretty fresh, yet they all still shouted encouragement.

It a shame British Cycling can’t look at these events and make Mountain Biking bigger and better (and more inclusive) in the UK. Perhaps someone should have a word with The Princess and get her to get involved 😆

Pooley
    Free Member

Our 4 man team in subcat oldies (Vets) also had a great weekend. Not at all deminished by the lack of showering/washing facilities. We’ve done 17 Mayhems, all trying hard, this time made epic by racing for 2nd/3rd place, which ended up as 3rd, well chuffed. It would have been nice to have had some sort of momento for our visit to the podium, after all it was a 17 year wait!

amt27
    Free Member

last one for me I’m afraid, unless the price comes down considerably to match other events and what is offered,

not going to moan too much, but at least deliver what you promise or have done in the past if the price goes up year on year, massively downscaled since the Original Sauce events when I started doing these,

looking forward to Bontrager for the first time, to see what that has to offer,

5thElefant
    Free Member

Best one for years. The track was lovely. No idea why as it seemed to be the same as last year which was awkward and disjointed. This year it all flowed. Loved it.

Many thanks to all the track hackers.

njee20
    Free Member

massively downscaled since the Original Sauce events when I started doing these,

Which themselves where downsized from the Saab Salomon days, and the Red Bull days!

dazh

Well my ride could be described with the good old football cliche of a ‘game of two halves’. My only target was to beat last years total of 20 laps and not sleep. 12 hours in I’d done 13, and then as has happened before, my stomach rebelled and decided it didn’t want any more food putting into it. The next 6 hours were spent throwing up and running to the bog, riding wasn’t an option (for me anyway). I finally got back on the bike about 7ish and did another 4 laps on virtually no food in a state of wide-eyed, zombie-like wastedness that I’ve never experienced before. Finished on 3 laps less than last year, but it felt 3 times harder. Anyone know a good sports nutritionist? 🙂

Oh and thanks to Chipps and Clover for the encouragement at the end of the final lap. I was pretty close to collapsing at that point.

TheSanityAssassin

Results and timings are incomplete for all us also-rans on the official site. Also, are there any links to pics from the many track-side photographers?

simonjj
    Free Member

Some official pictures here:
    http://www.robcrayton.co.uk/mm2015.htm

simonjj
    Free Member

View on Saturday evening from our camp site at the end of the final climb..

My first Mayhem as a rider and loved it, thought organisation and course were excellent, thanks to all involved, added bonus of it only being a 5 minute drive home.

sheeps

We had our best performance yet (30 laps) – must be the new team tops!

It ‘seemed’ quieter than previous years (especially in the main arena despite a bar) but maybe this was accounted for my perception that there was a larger number of solo-ists this year than previously.

Trackside support was ace (if a bit abusive from the Retrobike corner) and the track seemed better than last year (despite being the same) – I do miss the greater technical challenge of Eastnor/ Trentham Gardens though – only one stretch of singletrack 🙁

Organisation was to it usual standard again (thanks Pat & team) with bike wash, lube station, hot showers and clean toilets – music festivals could learn a thing or two here!! (although they might give the wash and lube a miss!)

jonny-m
    Free Member

Loved the event as usual great atmosphere, course etc but did seem a little “cheaper” than previous
    1. No big screen timing
    2. No paper programme of events/guidebook etc
    3. No flushing toilets
    4. Showers only open sat,sun.
    Commentators were a little quiet as well
    Anyway I’ll be doing it again, but if the price keeps going up the standard should stay the same surely

5thElefant
    Free Member

tang
    Free Member

Site is clear and you would hardly know anyone was there, thanks all for leaving it so clean.
    Its all about sponsorship and things were very touch and go this year. Its not a cheap thing to do and Pat & Jill work very hard on it all year.
    Vin and I are always trying to put more in if poss. I was pleased to get a flying lap on Friday morning on my own after a week on the course, would have liked to be out with you guys though. Biggest sweat for me was doing the prizes, only because the sponsors are so generous!
    ps there were a few odds and ends left behind, inc a wheel from the day car park. Its all at Pats and will be reunited if you get in touch.
    Fingers crossed for 2016!

ollybus
    Free Member

My first Mayhem, totally loved it!
    Excellent organisation and what a vibe. Joined a team of 4 and we managed 15th in the oldies category which I was really chuffed with. Can’t wait til next year.

Harry_the_Spider

Fingers crossed for 2016!

WHUT? 😯

It has taken me 11 years to make a comeback and me and my lad have just had our passes stamped for 2016!

salsaboy

First time for me riding it at Gatcombe. Loved the course bar that little single track climb, right turn and grassy slope to enter the camp site, but that hate is pain related.
    First time solo, learnt some lessons there.
    First time with gears.
    First time on a Fat bike.
    Well done Pat, all the marshals and the trackside support was fun.
    Roll on next year.

Pooley
    Free Member

Tang, not sure I’m getting your comment re prizes. My team got third in sub cat Oldies,(Vets) see my previous comment. Nothing what so ever at all, for a visit to the podium. Its clearly not why we do it, as 17 years of trying testifies. Time may be a healer, but, I doubt we’ll be back.

Peas
    Free Member

That was my first mayhem for a few years. I thought the course might get a bit boring when I rode it on Friday but for racing it was totally appropriate like the OP says. Plenty of space to pass, all the climbs were rideable and a couple of fun bit’s to look forward to. Happily, it also didn’t turn into a horrible muddy mess after a sharp shower which counts as a win for me! It was great fun!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem 2015 – the sun shone, the rain drizzled and we won – finally!’ is closed to new replies.