Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Maybe we should have more Stickies?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Just to cover the most bloody FAQs?
    Here’s my suggestion:
    If your WiFi doesn’t cover the whole house, just get a mesh system. There’s various makes out there, they all seem to work and wifi extenders/powerline thingies are basically a bit poo.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Here’s mine.

Lots of DIY building work is really more difficult than you think it is.

If you need to ask how on an internet bicycle forum then you should probably just get a man in.

funkmasterp

All wheel sizes are fine.
    Tyres – yes, yes there is lots of choice

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And mine –

No one makes a waterproof flat cycling shoe, whatever they say, they all have a stonking great hole in the top, that lets water in.

Some folk like the stickiness of 5 tens, some folk don’t.

Some folk moan about how long they take to dry out, some folk don’t.

There are other options, Giro, Vaude, Adidas, they all have the same issues, it’s just that some folk have to justify their choice for some bizarre reason.

avdave2

If you need to ask how on an internet bicycle forum then you should probably just get a man in.

Are there any trades where it might be acceptable to get a woman in?

Actually that is covered by the what to do with a windfall question isn’t it, forget I asked

mashr

Are there any trades where it might be acceptable to get a woman in?

Only one.

avdave2

Only one.

Pasterer?

Sandwich

No one makes a waterproof flat cycling shoe, whatever they say, they all have a stonking great hole in the top, that lets water in.

See also gloves and panniers!

All are waterproof in that no water can get out once it’s in through the big hole.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You’re over pricing your bike, it’s worth exactly what someone will pay, no more no less.

Yes that is broken.

Humane traps are rubbish, there is no humane way to deal with a humanely caught rodent.

It’s all thatcher/cameron/Johnson/Blair’s fault. In that order.

fadda

More seriously, how about a FAQ forum (alongside the chat and bike ones) where you can’t start a new thread, but can continue to contribute to the ones that get moved there.
    Could create some rules about what gets moved there…?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s the STW way:
    The washing machine/vacuum cleaner/dishwasher you should buy is the most expensive one you can afford (or actually, I the responder to your post, can afford. Get a loan cheapskate.)

The walking boots/wellies/(ahem) Approach shoes you should buy are the ones where most of what you pay is for the branding/logo as this will protect your feet

donncha

Will I die if I do X?
    Yes – everyone will die but hopefully not today because of doing something slightly different.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

everyone will die but hopefully not today because of doing something slightly different.

I’m not sure what you’re doing that risks everyone dying if you do it differently but can I suggest, regardless of how small that risk is, you stick with the appoved and tested method, purely for selfish reasons.

are the ones where most of what you pay is for the branding/logo as this will protect your feet

That’s why they use rubberised print. Duh.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m sure I took a loan out in 1546, and I’m sure I’m owed PPI…

Will I get it if I plead with the loan company, cos like I lost the account numbers or the loan was taken out when Henry VIII gave permission to Trinity Collage Cambridge to use his name, and I know that because I kept an old scrap book from my great grandfather.

No, you need to take it to the Ombudsman since last August.

How many times does one need to type that out…

🤷‍♂️😡

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Will I get it if I plead with the loan company, cos like I lost the account numbers or the loan was taken out when Henry VIII gave permission to Trinity Collage Cambridge to use his name, and I know that because I kept an old scrap book from my great grandfather.

Genius.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No, just get an Aeropress.

andybrad

rising damp doesnt exist ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’re asking what PC or Laptop you want, you want a recent Intel Core i3 processor (or equivalent AMD), 8GB of RAM and a suitably sized SSD drive. If you need anymore than that, you’d already had a clue what you want.

‘Dodgy’ software keys (£3 for £300 worth of software) are dodgy you are denying organisation that spent millions, if not billions developing and supporting it a fair payment for it, you can cut it a dozen ways and rationalise it however you like, but if everyone using Office only paid £3 for it, Microsoft couldn’t afford to make or support it. However the keys usually work and most consumers face little or no chance of being caught out.

However I wouldn’t use them in an Business Capacity. Microsoft et al are hugely profitable organisations and they don’t really care about consumers, business’s pay more and are more heavily policed license infringements, even small business can, and will be made and example of. If FAST investigate your business and find you’ve stolen software they will offer you the chance to avoid a criminal investigation by way of a fine, plus you’ll be made to pay the full license cost of every bit of software you stole.

Don’t download ‘cracked’ software from torrent sites etc, you might not die, but you’ll certainly increase your chances of pain and suffering.

‘Free’ anti-virus is usually more trouble than it’s worth, if you don’t want to pay, use Windows Defender, if you do want something better, buy ESET.

Do you ‘need’ a Mac? if you have to ask, the answer is No.

Do you want a Mac? Why not, they’re lovely, well made things and highly unlikely to be infected with a virus, not because they’re special, but because they have some good fundamental security measures but mostly because there’s relatively few of them. Viruses are also blissfully rare on PCs these days. These days the greatest risk is from sophisticated phising scams.

Are they ‘better’ than PCs? No, both have their merits, if you spend Mac money on a Windows PC you’d get something absolutely lovely too, but they’re no worse either, they’re also pretty good in a small business situation now Apple and Microsoft are friends again.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure I took a loan out in 1546, and I’m sure I’m owed PPI…

It’s of course a moot point now, but “I have PPI, was I missold?” Yes.

Before I was an IT Consultant, I was a Banker, trust me on this one – every, single, PPI type product was missold.

I don’t care if you knew exactly what you were buying, it was missold because no one told you what rights you had without it, which made it all but worthless.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dodgy’ software keys (£3 for £300 worth of software) are dodgy you are denying organisation that spent millions, if not billions developing and supporting it a fair payment for it, you can cut it a dozen ways and rationalise it however you like, but if everyone using Office only paid £3 for it, Microsoft couldn’t afford to make

Ohhhh that reminds me

That thing you didn’t buy because its physical constituent parts only have a combined value of 5% of the sales price has greater value than just its components.

You work in software, imagine if your employer only billed physical media cost +40% just how long you’d have a job. Stop moaning about an £8 burger.

ads678

Yes roadies are all miserable ****….

ads678

Jedi.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Jedi.

This is the answer you are looking for

epicyclo

The answer to all derailleur problems.

You know what I’m going to say… 🙂

geomickb
    Free Member

I have an itch/cut/pain/bit missing:

Must be cat aids, have you made a will?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Coffee tastes like coffee regardless of how expensive the machine you bought was, how much of a faff it is to use and how much luggage space it took up on your bike packing “rig”. It will still taste basically the same as if you put the grounds in a cup of hot water and stirred them, as does an americano form an even bigger, more expensive faffy machine at home.

You will never get back the time you spent deliberating between different road bikes. If you buy a penny farthing now it would still be months before yohandsome caught up with you.

footflaps

Just buy an Alpkit Viper head torch.

stevious

Try a few on and get the one that fits best.

ajantom

Try a few on and get the one that fits best.

Condoms, or helmets?

maccruiskeen

Condoms, or helmets?

Genders

richardkennerley

Just get the Hunts. Rumour has it they’re re-branded novatec hubs, but the customer service is excellent.

timbog160

TJ likes Putoline! 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

20psi front 22psi rear

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

All it needs is a sticky at the top explaining how to use Google or your own common sense.

That would probably cut the topics posted each day in half 😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Decathlon but look around the shop, I found the best thing was actually under the skipping ropes in the children’s horse ballet aisle.

baddddad
    Free Member

Yes you should go to see a real doctor for that, not rely on advice from internet cyclists

ElShalimo

Yes spend £500 on slightly lighter wheels…. Or just have a big poo before you go for a ride

jimmy

Hehe, I remember suggesting similar yeeeears ago after maybe a year of visiting STW, making a polite suggestion there’s a separate forum for regularly asked questions. Didn’t go down so well…. Maybe we need a stickie for this very question?

geomickb
    Free Member

On a serious note, no I don’t think we should.

We could probably replace the entire forum with a FAQ but that’s missing the point isn’t it?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

We’re in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Maybe we should have more Stickies?’ is closed to new replies.