“May I have….” / “Can I get….”

• This topic has 105 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by  Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • “May I have….” / “Can I get….”
  • Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

So this is like literally the millionth time this has been posted on here.

Drac stirs the pot…:)

The way Americans pronounce ‘aluminium’ and ‘nuclear’ though. Makes my blood ‘quite literally’ curdle.

Shirley, when there are only two options, ‘Regular’ and ‘Large’ would be OK?

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

It’s a losing battle against ‘can I get’.

Well I’m clinging onto proper speech.

Oh and don’t get me started on Methodology.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Epic fail.

I’m sure your iPad will tell us why.

“May I have….” / “Can I get….”

Gonnae gie’s….

whitestone

@martinhutch – yes, the tendency to say “noos” (or “nooz”) for “news” and similar words is annoying: “Toosday” instead of “Tuesday” is another one.

Aluminium/aluminum is an interesting one – Sir Humphry Davy who discovered it first called it “alumina” then “aluminum” then finally “aluminium”. The international Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry settled on “aluminium” so the UK version is the “official” one.

“me and …” could be correct and incorrect depending on where in a sentence it occurs but you could easily bypass the problem – “Those belong to me and him …” vs “Those belong us …”. Saying “Me and him are going to …” could similarly stated as “We are going to”

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

The international Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry settled on “aluminium” so the UK version is the “official” one.

True, but so is “sulfur”…

johnx2

“Me and…” is annoying

Why? If you said that to me and my mates, we’d explain why this sentence is entirely grammatically correct.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Well I’m clinging onto proper speech.

As your parents, grand parents or great grandparents used?

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Gonnae gie’s….

Are you from Lesmahagow?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

As the father of three who insist on using “can I get”….

Are you from Lesmahagow?

No, my parents aren’t even related.

single07

can i get was standard in scotland when i was a kid – 1980s.

while we’re on this sort of thing, anyone noticed on Android, the apostrophe-S for a plural has become standard suggestion. my logic is there must be more people using it wrongly that correctly, so some gooele algoritm somewhere has ‘decided that’s how it is.

i see red with this sort of stuff but have ot remind my self that language evolves. at least we don’t have to use declensions anymore, or hardly anyway..

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I could care less.

This is by far the worst one. I couldn’t care less. I could care less clearly means that you care 🤬

Myself and yourself are also annoying when used incorrectly.

whitestone

my logic is there must be more people using it wrongly that correctly

And there’s another one! “than” not “that” 😉 Generally a lot of people get “then”, “than” and “that” mixed up.

Premier Icon muddy@rseguy
    Subscriber

That’ll learn ya

Premier Icon muddy@rseguy
    Subscriber

Anyone here complaining about “americanisms” you are now banned from using the word “Hello”

You may use the word “Hulloo”, “hallo”or “hullo” but only as an exclamation of surprise

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Hello, muddy@rseguy. And **** off.
    If you’re going to be a “guy”, why not be an ass?

(Hi, anyway, I suspect we’ve ridden together! 😀 Guy is your name isn’t it?)

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I’m with Fry, and to misquote Barnier, “there is a special place in hell for grammar pedants”.

single07

arrrrgh! THAT was just a smelling pistake, but my wife does that instead of than.
    she gets corrected every time…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

If anyone actually thinks that finding “can I get” annoying is pedantry and fits in with what Fry was saying, then, well, they’re actually thicker than they think they are.
    (They probably say “Can I get” when ordering their Big Mac with bacon too)

stmachreth

1. When someone agrees with a previous comment by posting:

‘This’,

by way of agreement.

2. Misuse of the apostrophe

3. ‘Peddle’ instead of ‘pedal’

4. ‘Send it’

You’re all going to burn

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Sir Humphry Davy who discovered it first called it “alumina” then “aluminum” then finally “aluminium”. The international Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry settled on “aluminium” so the UK version is the “official” one.

As i understood it, IUPAC (in North Carolina) didn’t settle on aluminium but actually changed the English aluminum to fit with naming standards, the Americans simply never bothered to follow and stuck with the English aluminum. Alumina is and was the “common” name of aluminum oxide as far as I’m aware and was never applied to aluminium.

Re me and my friend. I don’t know that my friend and I sounds any more intelligent, or even that ???? and I is always or ever more correct, it’s just me and ???? annoys me in the same way as finding my self agreeing with Donald Trump. It’s not that it’s wrong it’s just really really inexplicably annoying. I’m not likely to pick someone up on it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t allowed to cause me a little shudder every time i hear it.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

I find being pedantic about about grammar is what keeps a marriage alive, certainly me and I wife find it so.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

‘This’,

by way of agreement.

4. ‘Send it’

You’re all going to burn

This

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

So can I get a regular cup of tea from my barista while I swap out the wheels on my new bike to match up the colourway of the frame, before Me and my mates head out to send it??

johnx2

‘This’,

by way of agreement.

4. ‘Send it’

Your all going to burn

ftfy

AdamW

Am Welsh. Can confirm that I sometimes get confused by borrowed/lend so use the phrase “borrow when you’re broke, lend when you’re loaded” to remind myself. Such phrases are very useful especially when you need to mix acid and water.

Also while growing up had big issues with ‘learn’ and ‘taught’. “That’ll learn them” was a common phrase.

Borrow/lend = benthyg
    Taught/learn = dysgu

I now get annoyed by people using ‘of’ instead of ‘have’. And people who use ‘less’ instead of ‘fewer’. Which is somewhat grating at supermarkets.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Re me and my friend. I don’t know that my friend and I sounds any more intelligent, or even that ???? and I is always or ever more correct, it’s just me and ???? annoys me in the same way as finding my self agreeing with Donald Trump. It’s not that it’s wrong it’s just really really inexplicably annoying. I’m not likely to pick someone up on it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t allowed to cause me a little shudder every time i hear it.

Take the other party out of the statement, that dictates whether it’s “me” or “I”. So it’s “he was talking to me and my mates”, because you wouldn’t say “he was talking to I”, but it’s “my mates and I were talking to him”, because you wouldn’t say “me were talking to him”.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Literally, WGAFF?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Literally, WGAFF?

Big Writters.

CountZero

Please don’t say you’re one of those people who thinks it should always be “…and I”, because that sounds more intelligent!?

I do, because that’s how I was taught it should be. I could care less what you think.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Big Writters

Oh very good, actually!

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I could care less what you think.

So you do care at least. How much do you care at the moment and by how much less could you care? Whereas I couldn’t care less.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Nothing says twunt quite like using ‘myself’ and ‘yourself’ – ‘Is that gun pointed at myself? Maybe myself and yourself could talk about this going forward?’ Nope – get in the sea.

chrisdw

An interesting one i noticed when living in North Wales was using the word ‘keep’ as ‘put away’.

Got quite confusing sometimes. Was on a course and was told to keep all our equipment. 2 of us carried it with us. Everyone else put it back in the boxes.

They all spoke welsh except the 2 of us. So not sure if its another translation thing.

So where you guys goin on vacation this year?

Premier Icon northernsoul
    Subscriber

So where you guys goin on vacation this year?

Somewhere with lots of sick stadiums.

alpin

Barrista

A massively over used term in the UK…. Very rarely have I had:

espresso that was:
    1. pronounced correctly
    2. served at tver right temperature

A cappuccino that wasn’t filled to the brim with scalding milk with naff all froth.

A latte macchiato that wasn’t served in exactly the same way as a cappuccino, but in a tall glass.

Coffee in the UK is generally shit. The only person I could describe as a barrista was an Italian guy working at Pret around the corner for St Barts in London.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.