Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Maxxis tyres – help my confusion!!
  • Clink

So – I’m confused on what the key differences are between 29er versions of HR 2, Minion DHF and Minion DHR 2?

I currently have a HR 2 3c on the front of my Salsa Horsethief. However are the Minions even more gnarly? Which if any would go on the rear?

I have no issues with the HR 2, just trying to work out the differences is doing my head in…

Northwind

DHF = front, DHR = rear. Well, that’s the intent anyway. In practice with the old Minion, everyone used the DHF on both ends, and with the new Minion some folks are using the DHR as a front, because Maxxis.

Clink

So obvious (but nowhere on the Maxxis site)!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

DHR II is good front or back.

rickon
    Free Member

DHF is a very nobbly, grippy tyre. The DHR2 is a cross between the HR2 and the DHF, same outer knobs as the DHF with the same middle section as the HR2.

I don’t find the DHR2 works that well as a front tyre, compared to the DHF which is immense. THE DHR2 is a stonking rear tyre in dual compound.

chiefgrooveguru

I believe the DHR2 actually has thicker side knobs than the DHF so it handles the higher loads through the rear wheel better. Seems a popular front tyre too.

Don’t try and make sense of the sizes whatever you do…

downhilldave

Running Minion Dhf front and rear in 650B,seem quite fast rolling and grippy. BUT you have to lean em over hard. Ran an Ardent Minion combo for summer and they were fantastic. Swapped to the Minions for the gloop. Faster rolling than Hans Damph’s and seem better than Rubber Queens. No tearing like the Damphs. No fragile side walls like Conti’s. Might try a Magic Mary for a front for proper gloop,not sure yet. Read that the Dhf front/ Dhr2 was maybe not the best option but it’s all a personal feel thing. Love the Dhf front rear combo when it’s dry but the front is slightly vague when it’s sopping wet/mud fest when you tip it into a corner.

Northwind

rickon – Member

DHF is a very nobbly, grippy tyre. The DHR2 is a cross between the HR2 and the DHF, same outer knobs as the DHF with the same middle section as the HR2.

Eh, not really. They’re a vaguely similiar narrow-wide tread but the blocks are pretty different

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have noticed that Minions really like to be lent over to deliver maximum grip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres – help my confusion!!’ is closed to new replies.