Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis tyres 2.4 tr versions?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Do Maxxis do 2.4 tr versions of their tyres? They only seem to do the ardents in that flavour as far as i can tell or are others just harder to come by? And if they dont do them why the hell not? Also most maxxis tyres seem to be 2.3 or 2.4 but the minion dhf comes in a 2.5 version, are these old stock or new size and actually bigger than the 2.4s? All very confusing! Oh and looking at 26ers

chiefgrooveguru

The non-TR tyres come out of the same mould as the dual plies, so the bead doesn’t have that squared off UST style cross-section. However, they work just fine tubeless.

There’s the old 2.5 versions (with the next size down being the 2.35) and then the new 2.5 and 2.4 versions (with the next size down being 2.3). Many of the new 2.5 and 2.4 tyres are WT (wide tread) and designed for 35mm rims.

The bigger carcasses also tend to have bigger knobs.

It’s bloody confusing!

I have 2.3 TR (DHR2, Minion SS and Shorty), 2.4 non-TR (High Roller 2) and 2.5 TR WT (Shorty). All great!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Shortys are available in 26 x 2.4 and run pretty wide (considerably bigger footprint than 2.3 Swampthings). That said, newer stock seems to be 2.3 or 2.5 😕

jakehinton
    Free Member

To make it even more confusing Maxxis seem to have taken all actual information off their website. What i really want is a 2.4 dhr2 and a 2.4 dhf box exo/tr but as far as i can tell they dont exist.
    I was runnning the older non tr Maxxis tyres tubeless for a while quite happily but completely blew a tyre off the rim which put me off a bit!

jakehinton
    Free Member

@chiefgroove thanks for explaining the why!

mamadirt
    Free Member

These any good? Nextdaytyres seem to have 2.4 TR in DHR II although the fronts are 2.3 or 2.5 only.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

They do the high roller 2 in a 2.4 TR , I’ve got a 3C exo version on a he front of my bike and a 2.3 on the rear. There’s no real noticeable difference in size and I still think maxxis come up small compared to other brands, but not as skinny as they used to be. Have also had a minion dhf 2.5 super tacky on the front in the past, as mentioned I think these must come out of old moulds as they look about the same size as the ‘new’ 2.3’s. On the whole maxxis don’t appear to be very consistent with their tyre options across the range

jakehinton
    Free Member

But are the dhf 2.5s the “old” smaller sizing or are they actually larger than the 2.4s?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres 2.4 tr versions?’ is closed to new replies.