Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis tyre winter combo?
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As above for the really wet Peak District

MarkLG
    Free Member

Any reason for Maxxis?
    Specialized Butcher front/ Purgatory rear is a great combo around these parts.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR 2 2.4 front 2.35 rear tubeless great combo anywhere good steering authority and good on rocks bomb proof my experience even at low pressures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GolfChick
    Free Member

currently running HR2 in the wyre forest…. desperately searching a good wyre mud combo now as they’re fairly poor!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Used HR and CM combo in dryer weather and although the HR was as heavy as a brick they where bomb proof (lust version).
    Used mud x last year which where ace but wound like some wider rubber on the HT,
    Hearing good things about they spesh combo cheers.

Anyone use a minion combo

kimbers

2.4 HR2s weigh a kilo each, well in 650b!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I rode on dual ply HR’s for a few years – totally bombproof but as per @jameswilliam heavy as a brick and pain to drag up all those climbs in the Peak Dristrict.

Northwind

HR isn’t the best in mud. I haven’t ridden the peaks so don’t want to recommend too much but for me Conti Baron is The Mud Tyre, nothing else comes close, XC-style skinny spiky muds are IMO all rubbish. And Specialized’s Butcher/Purgatory combo is a good option for if you want normal tyres that work in mud, rather than mud tyres. Though, the compound isn’t the stickiest so they’re not as good on wet rock as a supertacky.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Conti Baron Black Chilli up front could be the winter mud solution (not cheap though).

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Don’t think need a mud specific tyres for round hear.
    Just a good high volume combo with loads a grip up front but not still some rolling so as not to make climbing the broken road a nightmare.

BadlyWiredDog

I run a Minion DHF EXO 2.5 up front and an Ardent 2.25 EXO at the back, tubeless, all year round in the Dark Peak. There’s not a lot of proper mud, just gritty sludge in the main, so you don’t really need mud-tyres, just ones that work on rocks and corner okay. The 2.5 Minion isn’t a proper 2.5 btw, more of a large-ish 2.35 in real life.

The Ardent’s a nice balance between rolling reasonably fast and having enough grip. I guess if you wanted faster and were feeling rich a 2.35 Ikon might work out back. The Minion’s just reliably grippy on most stuff.

Works for me, but depends a bit on what your priorities are. If you ride in the White Peak, there’s proper slop in places, but the northern part doesn’t really get muddy in conventional terms.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My Uk trye of choice was the Minion 2.35, perfect 90% of the time. I used to mess round with the ST’s but in the end for anything other than racing the 60a’s were fine.

rOcKeTdOg

Golf chic, have u tried a beaver, new wider version is out too I think

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah i heard a few good things about them and they available in right size now but I’ve heard real mixed reviews about getting them to mount tubeless which has stopped me getting them.

BadlyWiredDog

I ran a 29″ Beaver tubeless on a Crest rim with no problems. Nice blend of relatively low rolling resistance and grip in soft conditions. I used one in last year’s Mayhem quagmire hell and it was great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre winter combo?’ is closed to new replies.