Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis tomahawk tyres, good,bad or get some thing else ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Got some new wheels coming so want to put some new tyres on.
    If you have had any experience with the tomahawk what did you think of them ? Front and rear or match up with a hr2 or dhf2 ?
    Going on a full sus for general uk riding. Need to be ok in the mud as things are already getting pretty sloppy out there.

Cheers
    Shaun

fudge9202
    Free Member

Was thinking of one for the rear but reviews said grip is awesome but the let down in the grip is when it’s muddy so sticking with the minion.

mboy
    Free Member

Supposed to be quite good on the rear in firm to intermediate conditions. Not so good on the front, or in mud apparently.

Not ridden one yet I’m afraid, though did sell a bike with one fitted on it today.

Dansk1

I found it terrible up front. Swapped it to rear, minion up front and life is a lot less scary. Not tested in full slop yet.

shaungero
    Free Member

I might just stick with the minion up front and hr2 rear.
    How does a minion on the rear go? Does it roll as good or better than the hr2?

mboy
    Free Member

HR2 is sloooooooow

Minion, either DHF or DHR2 is faster rolling for sure, though still hardly what you’d call a fast rolling tyre.

I’m keen to try the Tomahawk on the back myself, looks a lot faster rolling than a Minion, yet still got some bite on the side knobs.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I was going to say 2.5 DHF 3C front and 2.3 DHR II 3C rear (what I’m currently running)…. But I’ve just noticed that the new Shorty 2.5 folding tyres are due to arrive in the UK this week I would be tempted to go for one of those with either a DHF or DHR II at the back.

Enduro mag seemed to like the 2.5 shorty front 2.5 DHF rear option.

The best enduro tire: seven combos in comparison

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a go in summer and liked it on the hard pack but not really an extensive test. The larger ardent is a worthwhile alternative, works in damp and on the rear open well and much faster than a hr2 etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tomahawk tyres, good,bad or get some thing else ?’ is closed to new replies.