Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis Tomahawk- tyre nerds required
  • Northwind

I got one of these funny looking things with a wheel a while back- the 29er, 2.3, 3C exo version- and I stuck it on the remedy just out of curiosity the other day. And it seems alright! Pretty fast, not massively grippy but predictable and well behaved… I’ve not done any proper scottish vertical mud or anything but for the job I use my DHR2 3C for- ie good weather stuff and trail centre bashing- it might be pretty decent. But it sort of hurts my head when I look at it, and the logo is the wrong colour.

It never seemed to get very much attention, anyone got a strong opinion on it? Because it’s Friday night and I rock.

astormatt
    Free Member

I have been running one on the rear of my Trigger for over a year.

I really like it, have found it to be very fit and forget, in a good way.

I used to run an ikon on the rear during the summer months but never changed it last year and the Tomo has been great.

I did run it on the front for Mountain Mayhem a few years back and thought it coped well.

Can struggle for traction in deep mud when climbing. But no tyre is perfect.

geex
    Free Member

it’s shit!

STOP trying to try every tyre.
    stick to a smaller select set of tyres and actually learn how they behave.

A DHR2 is so much more than a dry weather trail centre tyre.

Northwind

“STOP trying to try every tyre.”

I figure I should at least try every tyre in the garage 🙂 I mean, you wouldn’t know it’s shit, if you hadn’t tried it- right?

And I know fine well the dhr2 can do more, but that’s the job I want it to do and it does it well.

geex
    Free Member

No. I know it’s shit from looking at it

geex
    Free Member

if you absolutely *must* try it. stick it on the back and spend a week learning how to skid and control skids properly with it.

orena45

Really like my Double Down version, was great last summer on my local trails. My thoughts up on my blog

Northwind

“No. I know it’s shit from looking at it”

Ah. Well, thanks for your contribution but I can come up with knee-jerk assumptions myself, I was looking for actual experience.

Thanks to the other folks, any more very welcome

arogers
    Free Member

I tried one a while back, basically when I was stuck for a tyre and it was all I could get hold of a short notice. I only tried it on the back and pretty much had the same thoughts as you – Fast rolling (better than others which are supposed to be fast like the Aggressor or even Minion SS) and predictable, but lacking outright grip. The funny-looking side knobs make for a pretty loose rear end, so it’s actually pretty fun to run in drifty, dry conditions. Braking grip is poor. It’s bloody awful in anything resembling mud! I replaced it when winter rolled around and have never felt the need to put it back on the bike.

The only time I think I would use it again is if I did an XC or endurance race where I wanted something fast but still able to be pushed round corners a bit.

Oh, and I agree, it just looks wrong!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Jeez..Im fairly straight talking ..call a spade a spade ..but this Geex fella takes it to a whole new level ..

What a tube ..😁

If anyone is interested his words of wisdom can also be found on Fatbikes / awesome thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Tomahawk- tyre nerds required’ is closed to new replies.