Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Maxxis rekon?
  • endurogangster
    Free Member

Looking for a new rear tyre for my hardtail and the rekon catches my eye as a do it all fast rolling tyre.

Can anyone recommend? Looking at either the 2.6 exo+ or the 2.4 wt, has anyone ridden both.

Will be hmgoing on a duroc 40 rim if that makes a difference?

Cheers

filks

Fast rolling but not enough grip for me. Had the 2.6 on a bike from new and swapped it out pretty quickly

endurogangster
    Free Member

Cheers, what did you swap to. Its replacing a bonty chupacabra so will probably be an improvement in the grip department.

swanny853

I’ve been running a 2.6 Evo on the front of my Solaris for the last two or three weeks and so far I flipping love it. Loads of cush, plenty of grip, rolls fast. No idea how it’ll work in anything less than drought conditions…..

It feels like a round tyre rather than a square one if that makes sense, but I like that in a summer tyre

davewalsh
    Free Member

I really like the Rekon as a rear tyre, rolls well and can usually find some grip in most conditions. Not too keen on them on the front though, prefer to stick to a DHF. I’ve ridden them in 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8, I’d say fit the biggest you can get in.

scaredypants

I have 2.6 on F&R currently – I like ’em but then the ground is really dry & hard round here at the moment. It’s not going to be a winter option for either end, I think

(come up at 2.5″ on a 35mm rim)

filks

I swapped it for the 2.6 Minion DHR and haven’t looked back! More rolling resistance but totally predictable grip

jamesmio
    Free Member

Running one on the back of my Bird Aeris, replaced a tried and tested DHRII and so far, so great.

Easier rolling that the Minion was, haven’t found any issues with grip and it was on during an Innerleithen uplift day mid Storm Dennis.

I like it.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Bumping this up to see if anyone can give some experience of the Rekon in damper conditions.

It’s for my wifes bike, she pretty much exclusively rides trail centres (glentress blue and at a push some red) and other well paved tracks (Pentlands for those that know it). She’s by no means an aggressive rider and the the current Butcher/Slaughter combo that came on her bike is overkill and draggy.

Would the Rekon be a reasonable all round option, while she doesn’t need anything mega aggressive she’ll be put off if they start feeling sketchy.

honeybadgerx

As it happens my other half has a 2.8 rekon on the front of her hard tail, also mainly ridden on Glentress blue/red/easier off piste plus Pentlands and seems to get on with it really well. At least I’ve not been in trouble for fitting them (yet!).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good feedback! What does she have on the back? Wondering about an Ikon but perhaps the Rekon would be a safer (grippier) bet at this time of year.

frankiefingers
    Free Member

I run an exo plus 2.6 Rekon Maxx Terra on the rear of my HT. It’s fast rolling and fairly predictable when it comes to grip – I’ve only felt it go completely on very steep muddy off piste tracks. It’s no DHR2, but I ride lots of different terrain on my HT and it’s a good compromise between rolling and grip on that bike. Running a wider, stronger casing means you can drop the pressures and increase the grip, I have a 2.8 high roller up front and it’s a great all round combo for me. I mainly ride in the Peak District on moorlands and in the woods.

joebristol

Is a Forekaster a better option on the back for the winter? I’ve bought one for my hardtail but haven’t used it yet – but described as an aggressive xc tyre. Sheds mud ok from what I read, still rolls pretty fast and only gets bogged down in proper quagmire.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Maybe but I’m sure she wouldn’t mind me saying that I think switching tyres for different seasons is OTT for her riding, I just want a solid all year round choice. All of the trails she rides are relatively well surfaced so while it might be pretty wet and muddy in places, I don’t really think I need to worry too much about mud shedding ability.

davros

2.4 reckon has served me well on the new bike, but I’ve swapped it for a forekaster for the winter. I’d happily run it for 6 months of the year.

joebristol

Maybe I’m coming from a different place but the Forekaster is probably the lightest and fastest rolling tyre I’ll have used. I normally run an aggressor on the back for 6 months or so then a dhr2 forntje test of the year. I switch a dhf on the front for a magic Mary for the same sets of 6 months.

Hoping the Forekaster will do ok for an all year round rear tyre…..

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Forekaster is a bit more aggressive than the Rekon right? So perhaps Forekaster Front/Rekon rear would give a bit more confidence than Rekon all round.
    Where does the Ardent fit in to the range versus a forekaster?

snotrag

Forekaster Front/Rekon rear is a good combo, on my XC bike currently.

Earlier in the year I was running Ardent Race front/Ikon Rear.

The Forekaster is really particularly impressive.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sounds good! Kinda tempted for my own bike now…..

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I would be tempted by a bontrager xr3 all round or xr4 front and xr3 rear depending on how many muddy pentland trails you wife is doing. Or rekon race rear and forekaster front. For red/blue GT trails you really need very little in terms of grip, more grip will come from tyre pressure and contact patch witch with a more xc tyre is sometimes better.
    Saying that because I am lazy I have been using ardent rear minion front as the bike came with them, they offer lots of extra grip in more natural trails(eye opening grip from years of just using xc tyres) but are noticeably slower/more work and I don’t think any gripper or more confidence inspiring on blue/red trails compared to the bonty xr1/xr2 combo I had before.

kelron
    Free Member

I tried a bike with Forekasters on a wet demo day and was really impressed.

Ardents do not handle mud well in my experience.

NS
    Free Member

I picked up a new bike in July that came fitted with a 2.6 Rekon Maxx Terra Exo – was a great fast rolling rear tire over the summer on trail centre tracks & pretty good on steep / rooty / loamy trails but could spin out a bit on technical climbs.
    When the natural trails started to get a bit damper the tread clogged very easily with pine needles & would spin out badly on climbs, also wasn’t great on wet roots.
    I have just switched to a 2.6 Dissector Maxx Terra Exo+ – tread looks like a more aggressive version of a Rekon with bigger, wider spaced knobs. Only had a couple of rides on it so far but seemed to put right the issuses I was having with the Rekon on steep technical trails.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

No doubt that DH tyres are gripper on more extreme terrain, I am just not sure that for what tenacious_doug or rather for his wife what’s them for, that they are useful at all. I think slot of people overlook xc stuff thinking that’s it’s all scary to ride and fairly useless outside the racing tapes, I would argue that morden xc stuff would serve most mtber’s much better than DH/Enduro stuff and from my experience (although it is just that) an xc style tyre is generally better than more aggressive tyres on trail centre trails, faster/easier on the way up and just the same level of grip down the hill as hard packed surface doesn’t allow the larger knobs to dig in and a good xc tyre will offer the same if not better grip. I wouldn’t advicate two semi slicks to an everyday mtber, but a step or two up from that (esp at the front) and happy days!
    I really like the minon dhf but would never recommend it to a rider who mainly sticks to blue and red trails.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No doubt that DH tyres are gripper on more extreme terrain, I am just not sure that for what tenacious_doug or rather for his wife what’s them for, that they are useful at all.

Nope, but plenty good advice so going with Rekon/Rekon or Forekaster/Rekon depending on what deals I can find tonight.

cookci
    Free Member

I run maxterra 29 2.6 front and rear with an insert on my hardtail.

Looking at the tyre makes me nervous but looks deceive, they have never let me down. I’m seriously impressed with the tyre and it totally exceeded my expectations, even in wet weather/mud. Ok they aren’t as grippy as the DHF or ass guy but I find them much more predictable than the likes of the vigilante “high grip”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis rekon?’ is closed to new replies.