Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis new WT sizing
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Has anybody tried tried one of Maxxis’ new 2.4 WT (wide tread) tyres? If so could you measure what width they actually come up at.

Been thinking that this might be a good compromise between the current “normal” tyres and 27.5 plus without having to actually buy a new bike. I don’t want to drop £50+ on a new tyre to find it won’t fit in the frame

Gotama
    Free Member

No bigger than a Schwalbe 2.35 in my experience of a 2.5 Shorty WT albeit talking in 29er terms here. Depending on what you want from plus the shorty in particular is not a particularly big volume tyre ie it blows up normal rather than balloon like with the Conti Trail King

honourablegeorge

Same here, 2.5 Minion DHF on a par with a 2.35 Schwalbe.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Really? I currently have a 2.3 Minion DHR II rear/Hans Dampf 2.35 front combo at the moment and I would say they come up roughly the same size. Rims are 30mm internal

I am assuming the Maxxis 2.4 WT will come up wider than a standard 2.4 or even 2.5.

benpinnick

Maxxis WT tyres are bang on there ERTO sizes on a 35mm rim I have found.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

benpinnick – Member

Maxxis WT tyres are bang on there ERTO sizes on a 35mm rim I have found.
    Thanks – that’ great. Not exactly “wide tread” though. ETRTO is shown as 61 for the 2.4 WT vs 58 for the standard 2.3. Thats a massive 3mm extra width so not exactly mega wide

honourablegeorge

CaptainMainwaring – Member
    honourablegeorge – Member

Really? I currently have a 2.3 Minion DHR II rear/Hans Dampf 2.35 front combo at the moment and I would say they come up roughly the same size. Rims are 30mm internal[/quotE]

I migh tbe mixing 26 ad 27.5 in my head here – just remember going from 2.35 Schwalbe to 2.3 Maxxis on 26″ and being shocked at the size difference, then moving to 27.5 Maxxis WT up front and feeling “back to normal”. Have had 2.3 Aggressor and Minion SS on the back since and they’re both really skinny to my eyes

dirtydog
    Free Member

WT is not about tyre width, its about the profile/tread layout on 35mm+ internally wide rims, a 2.4 is a 2.4, WT or not.

All new maxxis tyres are now pretty much bang on when it comes to sizing

bogdan27
    Free Member

+1 on that.

Right now the only thing that falls in the gap between plus tyres and regular are 2.6 but that carcas can be only with Foresaker which has a weak thread in my opinion

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

dirtydog – Member

WT is not about tyre width, its about the profile/tread layout on 35mm+ internally wide rims, a 2.4 is a 2.4, WT or not.
    OK, got it. Designed for wider rims. My current rims are 30mm internal so they may not give an ideal profile

From what I have seen, any given tyre size will come up quite a different size and shape depending on the rim width. Both myself and a mate run DHR II’s on the back, but he has 24 or 25mm rims compared to my 30mm and his tyres look smaller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis new WT sizing’ is closed to new replies.