Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis minions, what ones
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

ive decided on a set of maxxis minions for my trance x, now i need to know what ones.

at present from following advice of a friend im going for a 42a single ply up front and a 60a single ply on the rear. 2.35 all round.

BUT why wouldnt i want a 42a on the rear too? is too much grip on the rear a bad thing?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the pairing that your friend has recommended (DHF both ends I presume?).

I have ridden a bike with a 42a tyre on the rear and it was not pleasant, a ridiculous amount of drag.

3C on the front would be another option if you are feeling flush.

lee93
    Free Member

I’ve got one dhr s/t 2.35 I only done two rides with it and had to take it off the drag was unbearable it was like riding throw deep mud so I’ve gone for ignitors 2.35 front and back very sticky fast rolling and light

tpbiker
    Free Member

If my experience of a supertacky on the front is anything to go by, avoid like the plague on the back. Even on the front it felt like you were pedaling through gloop, and wear was noticable after about 10 rides.

Obviously if you never intend to go uphill the gloop factor may not be such an issue. On a plus side they are ridiculously grippy on the decents

Bucko

DHF on the front and DHR on the rear, both 2.35 60a Maxpro single ply. Works great for me, seem to roll great and the grip is amazing

backtothetop
    Free Member

ill stick with the 42f and 60r rear then, i do ride a bit of xc too so ill just have to get used to changing tyres more frequently,

Have nobby nics on at present, although they are fairly light and quick, they just dont inspire any confidence on the downhill stuff

backtothetop
    Free Member

now ordered 🙂 thanks for the influence

lee93
    Free Member

I was speaking to a lad in Cyclewise (whinlatter) he says nobby nics don’t perform on there trails tried to buy some 2.4s at £43 each but he told me to stay away he showed me the maxxis far better tyres! Just the dhr minion is so heavy but using it down hill is perfect!!

nosedive
    Free Member

i didn’t think that the dhr was so heavy for how much grip it gives, 2.35 folding is pretty light

Ive gone for 42 front, 60a rear and used the dhr for the rear. they are literally the best set of tyres I have ever had. Im going to buy loads more for my other bike and spare wheels

stevomcd
    Free Member

Super-tackys last about 5 minutes on the back, but I get a pretty reasonable life out of them on the front.

2.5″ dual-ply UST, DHF 42a on the front, DHR 60a on the rear.

Bombproof, but weigh more than a small car.

Northwind

Couldn’t see the point of the DHR myself, I don’t think it does anything as good as a DHF on the rear tbh.

Supertacky on the back is a world of drag, and tbh I wouldn’t know what to do with the grip either most of the time. Also wear hilariously fast.

I’m not the biggest fan if I’m honest but a pair of 2.35 DHFs, supertacky on the front, maxxpro on the rear, will do the job.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis minions, what ones’ is closed to new replies.