Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Maxxis Minion DHR II review: the one tyre for EVERYTHING
  • Premier Icon BillOddie

Anyone seen a 29×2.4 DD Maxterra in a UK based shop recently?

Looks like they don’t bring them in anymore…

29X2.3029FOLDABLEEXO/TR1.885MOUNTAIN
    29X2.3029FOLDABLE3C/EXO/TR1.819MOUNTAIN
    29X2.3029FOLDABLE3C/TR/DD2.293MOUNTAIN
    29X2.40WT29FOLDABLEEXO/TR2.105MOUNTAIN
    29X2.40WT29FOLDABLE3C/EXO/TR2.105MOUNTAIN

Minion DHR II

Premier Icon Northwind

Nope, I got mine from one of the euro shops.

Premier Icon johnjn2000

Just to balance this. They are not amazing in wet chalk/mud combo. They don’t shed the sh!t as well as the Michelin WE’s or the Assegai (which is weird, surely they are very similar?) I had on my previous bike, but any other surface I am sure they are great

Premier Icon scuttler

I iz lazy and hate fiddlin with bikes.

I love Minion DHF on the front – summer, winter, peak, lakes, spain, Ard rock. I once stuck a DD High Roller on the back for a week in Spain.

Premier Icon reeksy

I’m surprised you say an Assegai sheds mud well.

Premier Icon Northwind

I think that was specific to chalky mud? Which observes no known laws of physics. Assegai definitely clogs more than a dhr in most conditions.

Premier Icon reeksy

Ah, ok. I’ve only experienced a more clay type wet mud experience. Bike ground to a halt.

Premier Icon argee

All bets are off on wet chalky runs, dont think there is a unicorn tyre that can improve on that type of terrain

Premier Icon Blackflag
    Free Member

Not as good as a Magic Mary up front though…. 😉

Premier Icon gavstorie
    Free Member

The DHR 2 was my go to tyre for a few years, but only as a rear. I tried it on the front and it was horrific in comparison to the likes of a DHF or Magic Mary.

MM/DHR2 was a fantastic setup but its been overtaken by the MM/Big Betty now.

Premier Icon joebristol

@convert

Existential crisis moment – am I slower and having less fun on the interesting bits with this tyre than I would have on a less grippy but faster rolling tyre because I’m more knackered than necessary getting there on the bits in between?

The 2.3 Dhr2 with the same acronyms you have (exo / 3c / maxterra) is much faster rolling than the WT 2.4 version you have. The 2.4 is only marginally bigger casing wise but the knobs are significantly bigger. Good for steep / wet / muddy stuff – but the 2.3” version is almost as good in that but rolls quicker. I like gMBR same 3c version you have (rather than the dual compound version) as it grips wet rock better.

In the winter I run the 2.3” dhr2 at the moment with a 2.6” Hillbilly up front – works really well in most places. I couldn’t find the equivalent 2.6” Magic Mary or Wild Enduro or Shorty in stock anywhere in December. Hillbilly was literally the only aggro sort of mud tyre I could find in 29er.

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Some great deals on DHRs on Merlin £41-55
    Exo 3c maxxgrip exo+ and DD

Premier Icon devbrix

Honestly can’t tell the difference between DHR, DHF or Assegai on the front. They all just seem to do the job. Snake oil.

Premier Icon b33k34

Would be good if you could still buy 60a compound tyres in modern widths for the back.

Googling says “ Maxxis Dual Compound = centre tread is 70a (hard), shoulder tread is 60a (normal).

Maxxis 3C = three layers of different compound rubbers, available in 3 combinations (see below). The base layer is always a very firm, stiff rubber and the two layers on top of this are progressively softer. The idea is to create a grippy tyre that doesn’t squirm around or drag as much as a single compound soft tyre.

Maxxis 3C Maxx Terra = 70a base, 50a centre, 42a shoulders.”

I think there used to be tyres that were just 60a as well?

The shoulder knobs wear really quickly/rip off using 3c tyres on the rear.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.