• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by escrs.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Maxxis Minion DHR II DD – alternative recommendations???
  • Premier Icon coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’ve searched far and wide, but can’t find a DHR II 29×2.40 WT (in the MaxxTerra, Double Down variant – TB00307900) available ANYWHERE atm. My local bike store says that they won’t see any until April 2022.

What’s a good alternative from Maxxis for the rear?

Premier Icon 1timmy1

Schwalbe Big Betty Super Gravity in 2.4?

I like my Super Trail 2.4 version. I’d say not quite as much ultimate grip as the DHR2 but doesn’t have the ‘Maxxis wobble’ and is lasting well so far (soft compound).

Premier Icon teethgrinder

Just hoyed a Big Betty 2.4 SG Soft on the back of mine.
    I like it. Doesn’t roll as well as a Michelin Force AM2 2.6, and is a bit better than a Wild Enduro 2.4.

Grips better than both.

Premier Icon leegee

Vittoria Martello, Love mine as a rear tyre for summer.

Premier Icon marksnook

I’m in a similar boat wanted a tough but fast ish rolling rear tyre for Ard rock. Maxxis Aggressor?

Premier Icon coolbeanz
    Free Member

Being a Maxxis fanboy, I wanted to stick to the brand. I was also thinking about sticking an Aggressor on the back, but given the amount of rain we’re getting this summer, it might be a bit of a bold move. I also considered the Highroller II or even a DHF, but thought that they may be very draggy options (although probably not much worse, if at all, than the the DHR II thinking about it).

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

Super Trail Schwalbe is actually heavier than DD Maxxis. Not sure how durability compares. Super Gravity is 200g more on top, so equivalent to Maxxis Dual Ply

Premier Icon jimmy748

Michelin DH34, paired with a DH22 on the front for the ultimate in grip and carcass strength, I’ve not found them to have much more drag than the EXO plus.

Premier Icon Northwind

Is the new supergravity actually good? The old version was excellent but the only experience I’ve had of the new “super” puncture protection was the supertrail nobby nic and it was terrible (reinforced sidewalls, feeble middle, did about 5 easy rides on it and got 3 centre flats that wouldn’t seal). And I know the supergravity isn’t just the same tech as the old one, so I’m hoping they haven’t screwd that up too.

Premier Icon beagle
    Free Member

Man. I’d love to have a change of brand for tyres – love the DD after lots of experimentation. EXO+ Front, DD rear on the HT, DD front and rear on the FS. However, completely bored with getting warped/distorted tyres. I think maxxis quality control has gone to pot. Seems to be an issue with their DD and DH casings, especially with the dhr2. £60 odd quid each it’s a bit necky. I have a 27.5×2.4 brand new and fitted yesterday only for it to be a ‘wobbler’. Wiggle happy to warranty but I’m reluctant as they have no stock to swap it with.

If I could find something with the same protection as DD at a similar weight, I’d be bang up for that.

Premier Icon liamvc96
    Free Member

That is also normally my rear tyre of choice (27.5 though) but you wouldn’t get one even if you offered up your first born.

I went for a Schwalbe hans dampf super gravity instead and it seems good so for won’t be as grippy as a DHR but it rolls a hell of a lot better. Perfectly good for the summer and it still has quite a tall side nob.

The super gravity casing felt slightly thinner than the DD but not much still feels a lot better than single ply versions. Double down is still a dual ply casing just it’s 120tpi and DH casing is 60.

According to the maxxis website and a bike radar review the SG schwalbe is lighter than the DD maxxis by 100gs or so. The big Betty is heavier and looks like it would roll slower than the dhr so I’m not sure I’d go for that.

Keep checking at the bike shop sometimes stock has been arriving spontaneously even though the due date is next year or something stupid.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

aggressor 2.5 WT DD waiting to go on here….

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

liamvc96

According to the maxxis website and a bike radar review the SG schwalbe is lighter than the DD maxxis by 100gs or so. The big Betty is heavier and looks like it would roll slower than the dhr so I’m not sure I’d go for that.

True for the old Super Gravity, but not the new. Check the links below, with pics for actual weights

2.4 DD DHR2 29 – 1182g

https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Minion-DHR-II-29-x-240-WT-3C-MaxxGrip-TR-DoubleDown

2.4 Mary Super Trail – 1211g (Betty is heavier at 1255g)

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-Magic-Mary-29-x-240-Super-Trail-ADDIX-Soft-EVO-SnakeSkin-TLE-2021

2.4 Betty Super Gravity – 1410g

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-Big-Betty-29-x-240-Super-Gravity-ADDIX-Soft-EVO-SnakeSkin-TLE-2021

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Team ibis on assegais for the rear. Aggressors suck 😊

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

As a rear tyre the Specialized Eliminator is pretty good considering how cheap you can often get them. I’ve only used the Grid one but I gather the Black Diamond is v tough. It’s a bit less toothy than the DHR2, doesn’t brake as well but rolls faster, more drifty in the turns but controllable and fun.

Premier Icon liamvc96
    Free Member

I was comparing the Hans dampf which is 1161g according to that website.

I would also agree that aggressors aren’t the best tyre and don’t grip as well as they look like they would.

Premier Icon chakaping

I also considered the Highroller II or even a DHF

I found the HR2 very draggy on the rear, while the Aggressor or DHF would probably be too prone to clogging for year-round use. Actually not tested the DHF on rear, but I find it bad in mud on the front.

As a rear tyre the Specialized Eliminator is pretty good considering how cheap you can often get them. I’ve only used the Grid one but I gather the Black Diamond is v tough.

I’ve had a Blk Dmnd one as a summer rear tyre.

Good in loose/dusty conditions, rolls well, compound a bit plasticky (quelle surprise Spesh) so twitchy in the wet and I managed to hole it in the Lakes last weekend.

Would buy again, but it’s not the perfect tyre.

Premier Icon thegiantbiker
    Free Member

@coolbeanz – after much searching, I supposedly have the exact tyre you’re looking for turning up today from probikekit.co.uk. No idea if there’s any left but hopefully you’re in luck. Having tried some alternatives let’s just say I’m excited to have a dhr again.

Premier Icon joebristol

If you can’t get a dhr2 is there a Dissector DD in the compound you want? I reckon as a rear tyre it’s better than the aggressor for grip and still rolls ok. Obvs not as good as a dhr2 when the going gets wet.

Premier Icon lardman
    Free Member

even a DHF, but thought that they may be very draggy options (although probably not much worse, if at all, than the the DHR II thinking about it).

I’d run the DHF (if you can find one) on the back TBH. It’s not any more draggy than the DHR and freally grips in corners. You can also get away with an EXO+ more easily on the front.

Premier Icon pothead
    Free Member

Dhr2 DD Maxterra 2.3? I’d say it’s the best year round rear tyre and I’m told it rolls better than the 2.4WT. I haven’t personally tried the 2.4WT but I have a 2.5WT DHF Maxxgrip on the same type of rim and it works fine

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

Tough casing WTB Judge 2.4 or Trailboss 2.5 depending on whether it’s wet or dry?

The Judge has insane grip, but the carcass is a bit small, very heavy. TB is bigger, lighter, faster rolling but sketchy as ****in the mud.

Premier Icon hainman
    Free Member

Wtb Verdict tough casing or the Judge in same casing
    Best tyre I’ve had yet

Premier Icon coolbeanz
    Free Member

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Luckily, I managed to get hold of a DHR II DD and an Assegai DD from http://www.probikeshop.com. They’re priced extortionately, but beggars aren’t choosers.

Grab them before they’re gone!

Premier Icon Phil_H

According to their Contact us page they aren’t shipping to the UK at the moment ☹

Premier Icon coolbeanz
    Free Member

According to their Contact us page they aren’t shipping to the UK at the moment ☹

Ah, sad times. I’m actually based in Switzerland, so guess I’m lucky – tyres came in the post today.

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Only ever used Maxxis but watched Danny Hart play at inners today on Magic Mary front and rear gave me reason to think about changing if I can’t get dhf’s

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Arghhh stock is a nightmare.

Going with Magic Mary.

Any benefit to a 2.6 front and a 2.4 rear or just go the same width at both ends.?

Premier Icon escrs
    Free Member

Struggling to find a DHR2 in 29×2.4WT with EXO or EXO+ casing in dual compund or even 3c Maxx Terra (rather have dual compound) any i have found are north of £55+ p+p

Currently running a Miniion SS and its struggling with the conditions due to the wet weather we have had and the fact its a 2.3 so alittle narrow for my 30mm rims

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.