Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Maxxis Larsen TT
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Has anyone used this tyre up front , I’ve only ever seen them on the rear, need a fast rolling tyre for a pump track bike I’m building.. Thanks

bob_summers

Last time I ran TTs front and rear I did 800km in 5 days (Camino de Santiago), so I guess that’s testament to their rollability!

My only gripe with them is the feeble sidewalls. Used on rough stuff, it doesn’t take long for the cotton to start showing. Just got the UST version last week, should be better in that regard.

t-p26
    Free Member

Yes, very nice in the dust of that day we had…ah yes summer!

greeble
    Free Member

pump track? you want hookworms

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used them on the back & been very happy with them.
    I think Knottie has used them on the front a fair bit.

snowpaul
    Free Member

not a fan on the front unless on hardpacked and dry trails…

tried a full set in autumnal dales ridng and they were crap up / down… summer tyre in my experience

paul

amplebrew

They came on a Cannondale hardtail I had many moons ago and I found them to be a bit fragile, especially the sidewalls.

The Smallblock 8’s I replaced them with were a bit better.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks guys I have one but its a dual ply Super tacky so not too sure how it will roll shouldn’t be fragile !! 😀 I was thinking of a 60a compound for ther rear if they do one in a dual ply, and run the tubless on my Flow rims.

Hook worms not come across those , had a quick look quite slick like.

I have a set of small block 8’s perhaps try them first.

br
    Free Member

Rear for me too, ran them last year as I needed something ‘stronger’ for the HT as I’d split a load of rear’s – this year I put one on in March and have ran it right-through.

My only gripe with them is the feeble sidewalls. Used on rough stuff, it doesn’t take long for the cotton to start showing.

Jesus, were you riding on barb’s?

mc
    Free Member

Dual ply is the answer, which in reality was about as thick as a decent single ply.

Ran one as a rear tyre for long enough that it ended up almost slick, and even put it back on as I’d ripped the sidewall out the tyre I’d replaced it with (mates used to rip the pi$$ about me being too tight to change it, but it was good fun!)

However, for a pump track, grip is low priority. You just want something fast rolling, as if you’re hitting the corners right, you shouldn’t be needing sideways grip.

I did try to run my Larsen tubeless, but I could never get it to seal onto the bead. But in hindsight, I’m not sure how long it would of held up as tubeless, given how little rubber there was on the sidewalls.

br
    Free Member

I did try to run my Larsen tubeless, but I could never get it to seal onto the bead. But in hindsight, I’m not sure how long it would of held up as tubeless, given how little rubber there was on the sidewalls.

Great tubeless, last year on an 819 rim and this year a Crest.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Do all round xc I absolutely love them on front and back. Very predictable and surprisingly grippy for their thread pattern.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

send me a message, was just about to put a pair on eBay

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair on my hardtail for pumptrack, dirt jump and bmx track riding.

Great tyres, fast rolling and better grip than looks would imply. I’ve pulled some awesome cutties on wet grass with them on too!

For fast rolling tracks where low grip is needed they are great – pump ’em up to 60psi and give them a whirl.

My mate runs them on his hardtail and hits corners pretty hard:

Malco berm

Malco corner manual

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stick the SB8’s on Mr M.

knottie8
    Free Member

Been using ‘um for years , great tyres all year round . They do show the cotton through the sidewalls before the tread wears out though.

amt27
    Free Member

the new Specialized Renegade is a very good alternative to the SB8, I was using it on the FoD Verderers before the wet autumn settles in, very quick and grippy

rp16v
    Free Member

rode one today on mothers ss and seems aquite a nice rolling tyre not as fast as my sb8’s tho but seem abit better in this weather were having

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The TT is my favourite tyre for dry fast race courses. Never used it on a pump track though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Larsen TT’ is closed to new replies.