Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Maxxis Ikon 3c Max Speed EXO TR 29×2.35
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve found a pair of these in the shed, basically new, I guess they were taken off a bike at some point, but I don’t recall riding them.

I’m an XC (racing) kinda guy with a bit of Marathon type stuff thrown in also, as such they’ll more than likely end up on my 29er XC FS. Does anyone have any experience of them in similar kind of situations? They look kind of Racing Ralph / Race King kind of tyre.

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve used Ikons for a few years and really like them.

They don’t roll as fast as some others but i find them incredibly reliable for marathon racing.

And although an ikon on the front can be daft in damp conditions – its only ever xc racing and not enduro.
    I find they make a nice rounded shape which corners well without a sudden loss of grip. ( roval 30mm rims )

kelvin

Used that spec of that tyre on the rear… rolled very fast I thought.

steve_b77
    Free Member

@kelvin – what were you using on the front?

@jwh
    – nice to hear, I’m also considering Ikon front and Rekon Race rear, as I happened upon one of those too!

jwh
    Free Member

Thats my setup for this year Ikon / Rekon Race

Although I stuck a vittoria dry on the rear with the rekon race on the front for the dales divided next month.

I know there are faster tyres out there – but i also know that i need to finish inorder to do well. And i’d rather not have to fix a puncture.

singletrackmind

Very good tyres imo. Super fast on hard pack earth . Just enough in the way of shoulder tread to get you around the corners and they slip predictably when you overload them.
    I ran a pair front and back, or paired with a Rekon Race , which was a bigger carcas with knobbly shoulders. My rims are only 25mm internal, so the Rekon sat a wee bit squarer than the Ikon .
    I will happily buy them from you if you don’t want them.
    The mezcal / barzo combo is supposed to be fast as well , for less Dosh

snotrag

Echo the above, this is what I run on my XC Hardtail in Summer. Perfect. Fast. Nice and round. Like an MTB sized gravel tyre.

mjsmke

Ikon is my favourite tyre. Run on the back with a Rekon on the front on the full sus most the time. Use to run it both end on the rigid too with the front being 2.6.

andrewh
    Free Member

I used them on my race bike most of the time and really like them (aI did swap to Ardents for the Puffer)

Fast, grippy in the dry and reliable. The sidewalls do wear a bit on rocky courses like Finale though, but they don’t just fall apart like Contis. I prefer Ikons to the Racing Ralphs I used to use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.