• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller 2 … is it really £59
  • Paceman
    Free Member

The new Maxxis High Roller 2 … is it really £58.95 ??? 😯

I know we have to accept that prices of some things are on the increase, and i’m a big fan of the 2.35 Single Ply High Roller for trail riding, but £58.95 is cRaZy.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-maxxis-high-roller-ii-24in-tyre-12-45711

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member
    wwaswas

little bit cheaper here

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/Tyres/Maxxis/High-Roller-II.aspx?ID=653

but yes looks to be the rrp.

I’m in two minds really, £60 is a lot for a bicycle tyre but the work to produce can’t be that much different to a car one?

nbt

I do recall my LBS saying that they expected Maxxis prices to rocket to £60 per tyre in 2011. ONly just made it though, he was expecting it to be january.

alfabus
    Free Member

£52.99 for the DH version; only £36.99 for the single ply folding one.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/tyres/Maxxis/High-Roller-II.aspx

Dave

edit: damn, beaten to it!

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got an exo casing 60a hr2 on the rear of my bike at the moment, nice tyre, decent size and volume (more realistic 2.4 compared to the small 2.35). Was a big fan of the originals so an evolution of the design makes for an even better tyre. That was about £40 iirc – not sure i’ll be stumping up £60 for a 3c for the front though.
    Tyres are outrageously expensive these days imo but a good tyre makes such an improvement to how a bike behaves that i’m happy to stretch my budget but i draw the line at £50.

Paceman
    Free Member

Taking 2 seconds to google it:
    http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient…
    Admittedly the original highroller is mixed in with the results, so you have to pay attention … but youcan ge them for about £40

It was a rhetorical question, there’ll always be discounts, but an RRP of nearly 60 quid 😯

GW
    Free Member

I’m in two minds really, £60 is a lot for a bicycle tyre but the work to produce can’t be that much different to a car £5 cheng shin* one?

*who incidently manufacture Maxxis tyres (and many other big brands)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Link to £5 cheng shin Highroller II 2.5 40a k thx pls

I_Ache
    Free Member

Does it feel like on original HR? Or does it feel like a totally different tyre?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Does it feel like on original HR? Or does it feel like a totally different tyre?

It makes you ride so much lighter as your wallet is empty.

PJM1974
    Free Member

it wasn’t too long ago that £27 for a tyre was considered to be bordering the rip off territory. Maxxis’ prices seem to have gone through the roof over the last three years, presumably the weak pound is partly to blame here.

I’ll be shopping at Specialized for a new set of boots when the time comes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Much of the higher end Conti and Schwalbe tyres have been around the 50 quid mark for a while, so not really a surprise to see Maxxis follow.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

For that kind of money, skids are out.

rondo101
    Free Member

The Ikon was released with the same RRP recently.

Rubber prices are going through the roof, so I fear this may be a sign of things to come. 3 years ago it was $0.54 a pound. Today it is $1.84 a pound, having fallen from highs of $2.80 in February of this year. The cost of buying supply at the peak will be passed down to the end user. As the populations of India & China get richer & more of them can afford cars, rubber consumption will increase & the price will continue upwards.

TL;DR – Skids are for kids. And the wealthy.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m in two minds really, £60 is a lot for a bicycle tyre but the work to produce can’t be that much different to a car one?

I make my own tyres now, that way I can have them at cost rather than have to factor in really unfair stuff like transportation costs, taxes, the running costs of the factory, import duty, retail margin, marketing costs and so on. I’m amazed that more people don’t make their own tyres. I’d make my own car tyres too, but I can’t be arsed as economies of scale in the car market mean the savings aren’t as great and they won’t fit in a domestic oven.

amedias
    Free Member

Decent tyres from Spesh and Bonty normally come in at the 25-30 quid mark, think the armadillo spesh ones are touching 40 odd though.

still a lot of money for a tyre, I’ve gone off Maxxis and Schwalbe purely based on price because I’m a bit of a serial tyre wrecker…

cx_monkey

There is ‘a’ version of the High Roller 2 at £58.99 – but there’s also versions at £47.99 and £39.99. The £58.99 is a DH specific, dual ply, triple compound version – and it’s the same price as all other Maxxis DH 3c tyres. The £47.99 tyre is also a DH dual ply, but is a single 60a compound – again the same price as other single compound DH casing tyres from Maxxis. The £39.99 tyre is the most appropriate tyre for ‘normal’ mountain bikers – single ply folder, with EXO sidewall, 60a compound. So comparable to nearly all other brands premium trail tyres.

“does it feel like an original HR?”

No – it’s actually way better, unless you’re a fan of tyres with a big drift zone. The transition zone, between the centre knobs, and the shoulders, on the HR2 is much smaller than on the HR – meaning that the grip is more constant through the lean angles. The original HR is very much grip-drift-grip in the bigger sizes. FYI – the 2.4 HR2 actually comes up a tiny bit bigger than the original HR 2.5 tyres.

Someone also mentioned the price of the Ikon tyres – £53.99 for the top spec 26″ – that’s 3C and EXO sidewalled. (£57.99 in 29) – again there’s cheaper versions of both sizes, and also coming the end of Jan will be cheaper again tyres – a £32.99 dual compound folder, and a £39.99 version with a lighter casing. For the really hard up amongst us, there’s a £23.99 wire bead version.

Yes – tyres have got more expensive, but the price of rubber has tripled, transport costs have quadrupled and labour laws in the Far East have now introduced minimum wages making the labour cost more expensive.

Why can you get a car tyre for much the same price? Pure economy of scales. Cycle tyres are a drop in the ocean compared to car tyre production.

There we go. Tidy.

bland

Cheap Maxxis Here

Or, these are the posh Maxxis ones without the branding on, so work out for yourself how much money goes into advertising. All this is is a different tread pattern to the top end maxxis

£17.99 is a lot less than £60!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bland? explain?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

When you see how often on-one has Schwalbe tyres for 40-50% RRP you know tyre manufacturers are having a laugh.

I’m using spesh tyres now mainly.

bland

cruzheckler – Member
    bland? explain?

Cheng Shin, yep that really crap tyre manufacturer uses MAXXIS as its brand name for cycle tyres.

They are just branded as Chen Shin and not Maxxis, same factory, same, process, same rubber, same costs, just not branded so cant charge rip off prices as people wont pay it.

Just goes to prove that they are overpriced and we are being laughed at!

bland
    cheers_drive

The increase in Maxxis tyre prices is a rip-off compared to 3 years ago. They are now the same price as a Schwalbe who were always very expensive.
    The increases in rubber prices and transport costs would not double the price of tyres. Maxxis are just capitalising on the success they have had over recent years.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bland – what does the cheng shin site tell me? not sure on chinese 🙂

what cheng shin tyre would i need for a new high roller for example?

bland

Hight rollers are Cheng Shins thats the point

Try google translate

d45yth
    Free Member

Maxxis are Cheng Shin’s but Cheng Shin’s aren’t Maxxis.
    Maxxis are the best tyres Cheng Shin make for that very reason, it’s their premium brand. They make tyres for lots of other companies brands but not to the same spec as Maxxis.
    Bland – What king of riding do you do and what tyres do you use?
    I buy Maxxis for their performance not the price. The Cheng Shin’s aren’t the same rubber, if they were I would buy them. I’ve tried just about every brand of mountain bike tyre available (in tubeless) and Maxxis are the only ones I’ve been totally happy with. Be it from a grip, durability or lack of problems point of view.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Rubber prices are going through the roof, so I fear this may be a sign of things to come. 3 years ago it was $0.54 a pound. Today it is $1.84 a pound, having fallen from highs of $2.80 in February of this year. The cost of buying supply at the peak will be passed down to the end user. As the populations of India & China get richer & more of them can afford cars, rubber consumption will increase & the price will continue upwards.

So if there is a pound of rubber in a tyre then the price should have gone up by $1.30.

We are being ripped off.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I used to run 2.35 Folding High Rollers, Single ply on my SC Nomad, I now have a pair of 2.4 Folding EXO High Roller II’s, although they feel amazing going down, they are a bit of a struggle on the ups, wondered why, until i looked at there official site:

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller-II.aspx

Compared to:

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller.aspx

230 grams per tyre heavier!!! 🙁

I know they have the side protection and im unlikely to get snake bites now, but that is a lot of extra weight to keep revolving.

GW
    Free Member

Maxxis are Cheng Shin’s but Cheng Shin’s aren’t Maxxis.
    Maxxis are the best tyres Cheng Shin make for that very reason, it’s their premium brand. They make tyres for lots of other companies brands but not to the same spec as Maxxis.

don’t kid yourself! try a butcher or chunder DH

When Maxxis first came up with the Highroller they simply coppied* the current most popular DH tyres’ tread/compound and their own version of DH casing (Michelin’s Comp 16). Maxxis then quite literally gave them away (to racers) then when they were sought after by privateers they released them to the public at £15 less than the Micheins.. funnily enough within the year almost every DHer on the planet had switched tyre brand. later down the line they released single ply versions and mincers all over the internet started running their overly soft tyre compounds at inappropriate tyre pressures to try to compensate for their poor riding skillz.

* not an exact copy but very close, HR = sightly less puncture prone casing and rolled faster. C16 = tubeless casing (15 years ago 😉 ) and better grip in certain sloppy conditions.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Roller 2 … is it really £59’ is closed to new replies.