Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis dualplies, tubeless on Flows anyone?
  • Northwind

Just fannying around with tyres again… Got the no fuss endurance downhill coming up, last year I used specialized SXs run tubeless on my Flows and they did the job brilliantly, but once I was tired and sloppy I could have used more grip. So, got an old set of supertacky highrollers in the garage which I can finish off.

Question is though, how well do they work tubeless? It’s a Flow and a Flow Ex, yellow taped. I’ve used maxxis wired singleplies tubeless before with good success but not duals.

(I can just run tubes o’course but one flat knackers the day, and you do enough runs that mistakes are pretty likely. Last year I’m sure I would have flatted with tubes- I absolutely mullered the rear rim!)

mboy
    Free Member

Dual Plys work even better tubeless than the single plys. You won’t need much sealant in them, put it that way!

Just as long as the beads are straight so they seal well, you’ll not have any problems I shouldn’t think.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I used to use DP on non tubeless rims with rim strip kits and they worked very well when inflated. Lasted ages and never came off the rims.

They were a pain to get seated though, needed a compressor and 200ml sealant. the sealant came out through the side walls for 10 mins or so until sealed up, then they were fine.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

They work great. I ran some dual ply Minions tubeless on Stans Flows for ages.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got Flows and Flow EXs too.
    Maxxis Dual Ply work brilliantly with yellow tape and stans fluid.
    All good. Not had any problem inflating with track pump.

Northwind

Good stuff, cheers folks!

rugbydick

I (stupidly) ran a dual ply Minion DHF and Highroller 2 combo (both Supertacky…) on this weekend’s 7 hour jaunt round and over Mount Keen. Both on a Flow rim with yellow Stan’s tape.

They sealed fine, but I did have to use a compressor to get the Minion to seat.

My legs feel much stronger after that as well……………

Northwind

Yeah… No Fuss being cruel and inhumane, this race starts with a ride up the fireroad to the wallride 👿 But I figure it pedals like **** anyway, last year I tried faster rolling tyres and it still pedalled like **** so this year I am going to embrace the slow.

niceandy
    Free Member

I’d echo comments about being hard to seat and I had to use CO2. I ran 2.5 minions dual ply on Flow rims in the alps last year. I also used them with the rim strips in addition to yellow tape for added security and tighter fit to inflate.

I gave mine a testing on a few DH days and they were fine before using in the Alps and they were ok for most of the week, but I did burp the front tyre on one day, so I always had a nagging doubt after that and stuck in more psi to compensate.

I would say it’s a bit of a risk without rim strips and if you lose enough pressure (burp) then you won’t get it back on the rim without a CO2 cartridge, or sticking a tube in.

Since mine were knackered after last years trip I’m now running proper UST Maxxis 2.5s and they go up a treat (trackpump and without rimstrips). They feel up to the job of DH too.

Best advice is to give it a try, but give them a proper pasting to be 100% confident before using them on an event. You’ll be mighty annoyed if they fail on you, for the sake of running tubes.

scruff
    Free Member

Last year in T’Alps I used a Minion F on the front and HR on the back both dualply on Flows, just normal rimtape no need for extra strips. Went up easy with soem stans inside and stayed up, used about 25psi, no burping or punctures.

Northwind

Cool, yeah, will be taking it up to fw for a test beforehand, hopefully. I’ve got other dh tyres that I know’ll work tubeless so not buying any more for this job. Thanks folks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis dualplies, tubeless on Flows anyone?’ is closed to new replies.