Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Maxxis DHF DoubleDown
  • Neb

I’m keen on giving the new Aggressor Doubledown a go on the rear, with a minion DHF or DHR2 up front. However, I’m struggling to find the Minion DHF in a 27.5 x 2.3 DoubleDown flavour. The only DoubleDown DHF is the 2.5 which is a WT tyre for wide (30-35mm wide) rims, but only in the US/UK. In the rest of Europe it’s just called a 2.5.

What’s going on there then? Have they just rebranded it as a WT in areas where it might sell more? If I stick a 2.5WT on a 25mm wide rim will I die?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No idea… If probably give it a go though do you need the DD casing? I find the exo fairly tough on out rocks and roots.

benpinnick

There’s no 2.3 DD DHF right now, only the WT format. I doubt it would be terrible, although it will be a bit rounder, and not quite 2.5 wide.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

And running a standard 2.5 dhf in 26 I wouldn’t want to be going narrower for such an aggressive tyre.

Neb

Thanks for that. I’m in two minds myself about EXO vs DD, I’m of to finale / molini in July and usually enjoy the steeps in the lakes so would probably benefit from Doubledown, but EXO might also be enough!

It’s been a while since I used maxxis, the tough casing on the WTBs I’ve been using have been ace. No punctures in 18 months in the lakes, including a week doing the trans provence. I just wish the vigilantes and breakouts had a bit more bite cornering = scary driftage!

Neb

That’s the funny thing Ben, the WTs only seem to be for the US / UK market. The European spec sheet for the 2.5 DD has no mention of WT. Making me wonder if the whole WT thing is more an attempt to sell more tyres, not an actual change in design. The difference between a 2.3 and a 2.5WT with the tyre flat is only 9mm, so when mounted on a rim it’ll be more like 3mm. It’s weird!

Shandy
    Free Member

The 3C MegaExo are pretty tough, I’ve never holed one on the front. I’ll probably try and buy DoubleDown for the rear from now on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it not a case that the euro spec sheet is awaiting an update?
    Exo is a tough casing unless your riding like a thug 😉 I’ve given mine some rocky hammering in the lakes, utah, and locally.

Neb

It’s still a 2.5 Doubledown tyre, just not labelled as a WT tyre, which is the only option in the US or UK.

I must admit, I’m not the smoothest of riders… 😳

I’m probably being overly cautious wanting a DoubleDown on the front, I just hate punctures with a passion.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Your running tubeless right?

Neb

I am, but only a fairly recent convert, so still unsure with what I can get away with.

With tubes a dual ply at 35 psi on the rear finally sorted at least one pinch flat every ride.

I’m assuming the DHF is still the goto maxxis front tyre? Would a DHR2 be suitable upfront for rocky terrain (usually wet!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tubeless will solve your problems most of the time. Dhr2 looks good and many swear by them.

kimbers

Exo is Ok in the alps, not ridden DD but I always go for dual ply as ive ripped exos a few ties n the alps
    The WTB tough ones are great though, but heavy

stevied
    Free Member

Was running a 2.5″ DHF 3c, EXO last summer which was great. Ran a 2.3″ DHR2 and Shorty 3c, EXO, tr over the winter which worked better than the DHF.
    I’ve just started using an Aggressor EXO, TR on the front and I’ve already got a couple of PR’s over the DHF on like for like runs.
    The Agg seems to be a fab front tyre with plenty of rolling speed and grip, especially on hard pack surfaces. Just fitted an Ardent Race on the back so looking forward to giving that a go tomorrow.

Neb

Steve, would you reckon a DHR2 would be better than a DHF upfront?

I’m thinking the Aggressor looks ideal as a rear tyre, hoping a DHF/DHR2 would suit it on the front.

benpinnick

@Neb – the Maxxis factory pricelist shows the tyre as WT DD, I think its just the Euro bods that have it wrong.

stevied
    Free Member

Steve, would you reckon a DHR2 would be better than a DHF upfront?

In the wet/loose loam etc I’d go DHR2 as it seems to clog less than the DHF. Drier, harder stuff is go the other way. The DHR is slightly more draggy.

Neb

Cool, thanks for that fellas. Looks like 2.3 exo is the only way forward, all the 2.5s are the WT version. The only non WT 27.5 DHF is the 2.3 exo.

barbs
    Free Member

Maxxis UK told me yesterday that they weren’t bringing in the 2.5 WT !……..

Neb

It does seem odd that in 650b normal rim width, you can only get one flavour of trail tyre (ie non dh) vs 8 flavours for 26 inch wheels and 4 for 29ers.

benpinnick

Its a mystery what Extra choose to bring in TBH. On the plus side, went for a run out on the aggressors today. Very nice. For the right now conditions (mostly dry) they seem perfect.

Neb

My Aggressor Doubledown has arrived and I’m pleased with the carcass, just what I wanted. Very similar to the WTB tough carcass.

I also ordered a DHR2 in exo for the front, it doesn’t look quite as good as a DHF but hopefully a bit more versatile. Thanks for the advice.

thekettle
    Free Member

I’ll been interested to hear how you get on with the doulbedown tyres in terms of sidewall durability. Riding in the Lakes (tubeless), single ply maxxis tyres last me one or 2 rides, and Supergravity Schwalbe a month or two before they tear. WTB tough casings are the only single ply’s that seem to cope, but I much prefer the ride and compound of the maxxis tyres.

benpinnick

WTB tough casings are the only single ply’s that seem to cope

That’s because they are dual ply 😉

Neb

Yup! The Lakes are tough on tyres! I found the wtb vigilante and breakout good, but a bit drifty in the dry and not much bite when leant over.

I did quite enjoy a slightly wandering rear wheel, so hopefully the Aggressor isn’t too grippy when stood up.

Whereabouts in the lakes do you normally ride?

thekettle
    Free Member

@benpinnick, that would explain it. Considerably lighter than maxxis duals of a similar diameter though (actual rather than stated size).

@Neb
    , all over the lakes but mainly mid, South and East.

bigjim

Exo isn’t very rock proof, I’ve sliced them too wide open to seal a few times. Much lighter than a tough wtb or something though. Double down look like a good option!

Neb

I’m liking the Dhr2 and Aggressor combo. It seems to roll, accelerate and grip better than the WTBs I was running previously.

stevied
    Free Member

This was posted, by Maxxis, on PB yesterday on an Aggressor thread…

DD options will be available in the 2.30″ versions of the DHF, DHRII, High Roller II, Minion SS, and Griffin in addition to the WT models already available. WT tires are optimized around newer wide rims but they’re still great on older narrower rims, you just end up with a rounder tire profile and a little less optimal side knob placement (the greatest change with the WT design).
    We’re still a few months out on a 26×2.30 Aggressor but it’s coming. The 26″ market is still very important to us so most of the more aggressive tires will continue being made in 26″. The Tomahawk is already available in 26×2.30, Minion SS should be available very soon in a 26×2.30, Aggressor later in the summer, and DD/EXO Griffins coming soon as well for 26″

Looks like DD is coming for the more aggressive tyres with 26″ Aggressor coming soon too. This pleases me 😀

benpinnick

Not sure on the factory dates for the new 2.3s, but I do know that Extra have no available-in-the-uk dates on any variants other than the DD Aggressor right now, so you’d probably be looking overseas for anything for 6 months.

zelak999
    Free Member

Neb – Member

I’m liking the Dhr2 and Aggressor combo. It seems to roll, accelerate and grip better than the WTBs I was running previously.
    How are you finding this combo a month on Neb?
    I tried the aggressor with a HRII on the front and found it really hard work. Do you find it slooooow to get it up to speed and keep it there?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bump. Any feedback after a years use? I seem to damage sidewalls before I wear out tread. Currently torn between double down or WT for a new rear tyre.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ll add to your bump Onzadog. i’m a big heavy clumsy brute and think DD would be good for me, certainly on the rear so keen to hear feedback.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m running 30mm internal rims so wondering if I should try…

1. Aggressor 2.3 dual compound double down.

2. DHR II WT EXO 2.4

3. DHF WT double down 2.5

On the rear.

tomaso
    Free Member

I ripped a knob off a Shorty EXO this morning dropping down to Longsledale. Two months of light EXO tyre whizzing for quite a wedge of cash. I will be putting the totally OTT Minion double down DHF back on and take the weight penalty.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks, I was wondering just how rock resistant the EXO sidewall was.

Is the carcass damaged or just the lug missing?

tomaso
    Free Member

I thought I tore a knob but upon close inspection it appears to be a wee hold just above the bead. Not really sure how I managed that. It is a tube only tyre now, so not something I will use.
    I had a look at the dual ply on the rear and it has a huge slice in the outer carcass from the outer nibbles to half way to the bead. Will have to see how it gets on…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis DHF DoubleDown’ is closed to new replies.