Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Maxxis crossmark
  • bellys
    Free Member

Who uses them iv just put one on front 2.35 60a compound.
    been riding one on the rear over winter and was very good so now it’s drying out put one up front. are they any good on the front.
    Thanks

mega
    Free Member

you’ve put one on the front and are wondering if it’s any good…?
    you know what to do 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

same as on the back crap with no grip..in fact I once ran it with the wrong rotation on the front and it made no difference that how good they are 😕

Possibly good for Trail centres where it drains well but not great on natural stuff where you get mud IME

bellys
    Free Member

Hhmm that’s not good I’m off out in 20 min to try them.
    But found it good as a rear tyre.

chrisdb
    Free Member

yep great for man made stuff that only gets damp not muddy. struggles a bit in anything soft for grip when climbing. personally wouldn’t want to run one on the front but a great back tyre for trail centres as they roll so fast.

Junkyard
    Free Member

then probably fine as i find it crap as a rear tyre and spins out very easily..it doe snot like mud so it is not a great UK natural tyre IME

bellys
    Free Member

Well it’s safe to say that it’s not staying on the front.
    Not good at speed on wet grass or patches of mud.

mboy
    Free Member

2.25″ Crossmark in 60a is a very good rear tyre, as long as you don’t ride constantly in mud I found… As long as the surface is firm, it doesn’t matter what the terrain is, it’s fast, predictable and pretty grippy.

Though I’d not run one up front no matter what, there’s very little to speak of to actually bite into the terrain, which IMO you need on a front tyre for both braking and cornering grip.

IanW
    Free Member

I have one on the back, I like to call it “Kato” after the pinkpanther character.
    It also seems to intent on killing me when I least expect it.

rocketman
    Free Member

CrossMark is a fabulous rear tyre the first time I got one I thought I’d be all over the place but with a bit of finesse it finds grip in places where similar tyres give up but still rolls very easily. Would not use one on the front though unless conditions were absolutely perfect i.e dry buff trail centre.

Works much better imo with an Advantage/Ardent/HR on the front.

franki
    Free Member

Great rear tyre, fast and I’ve had good results in everything but heavy mud. I wouldn’t put one on the front, though.

Wozza
    Free Member

As above, good on trail centres and bone dry stuff, but show it some mud and it’ll kill you dead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hard dry and straight lines mostly!!

nealy
    Free Member

yep great for man made stuff that only gets damp not muddy. struggles a bit in anything soft for grip when climbing. personally wouldn’t want to run one on the front but a great back tyre for trail centres as they roll so fast.

^ This. Also the sidewalls of mine (2.1 62a eXC folding 120tpi) are quite succeptible to cuts although it has been due to riding in pretty rocky conditions, I think it’s worth considering getting one with EXO sidewall protection.

I’m thinking of swapping my rear for a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 soon as they sound like a good halfway point between a Crossmark and something liek a High Roller.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

good rear tyre. surprisingly capable in mud too – just needs carefully power application. In the past i have run the hard compound 2.1s both front and rear. Amazingly fast in the dry and could lean them over hard too – but they were death on a stick on roots with even a hint of moisture on.

the 60a is much much better though.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Widow makers of the XC tyre world. I’ve seen riders cut the round nobs on the shoulder to improve grip and traction – also makes the tyre lighter. They are very popular in South Africa where it is mostly dry and dusty, but lethal in the wet.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have onee on the back of the Singlespeed, coupled with an Ardent up front..

Pretty spotty dog combo for Delamere in the summer IMHO.

bellys
    Free Member

Took it off the front before and replaced with an Advantage.

Went out with them on last night front was not great on wet grass, no that’s wrong they were **** crap. 😯
    On dry packed trails were spot on could not fault them untill I hit some mud then front was all over.

Any way got loads of diff tyres mounting up now so might be sale time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis crossmark’ is closed to new replies.