Maxxis combos

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Maxxis combos
  • mjsmke

Hardtail has DHF front and Aggressor rear. Both 2.3 on 30mm rims

Full sus has DHF front and Ardent rear. 2.3 and 2.25 on 25mm rims.

I really like the combo on the full sus for dryer conditions but want something wider on the hard tail and something for a little mud too.

I’m thinking 2.4 High rollers on both ends or a High roller on the front and Ardent on the rear. I’ve heard the 2.4 ardent has much deeper tread than the 2.25. Am I right thinking the 2.4 ardent would be of for mixxed conditions on the rear?

Premier Icon strangey13
    Subscriber

DHF on the back is good too if you like it on the front. The WT ones are a good size on 30mm rims as well.

Running a 2.6 Rekon+ front and Minion SS rear on the HT but it is a bit slidey at the moment.

What are the rocks/dirt/mud like where you usually ride?

Assegai is the best front tyre I’ve used and I’ve tried loads. Works brilliantly in all conditions.

JP

Onzadog

I’ve just switched from a DHF/Aggressor combo to a Shorty/DHRII combo. Might get out to test it tomorrow.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

DHR2 on the back is the best option for mixed conditions for me. Grips and brakes better than the aggressor. Talking about 2.3” in both sizes. The 2.4 dhr2 is a weighty / draggy beast ime so beat avoided.

I’ve run a 2.5 DHF through the last 2 winters ok – not a bad all rounder – but out of its depth if you do a lot of natural / technical / steep / rooty stuff when wet and sloppy.

Both my bikes have a 2.3 dhr2 on the back – 3c Exo version.

The hardtail has a 2.35 Magic Mary and the FS has a 2.6” Hillbilly that I haven’t used yet (going to FOD tomorrow to try it out).

If you’re anti mixed tyres front-back then the Assegai is probably the next step on from the DHF with the shorty as a mud option.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Ardent front, ikon rear. Can’t be arsed to change it. Drift-tastic…

mjsmke

The worst bits are just wet mud. Nothing too claggy like clay. That’s why I was thinking Ardent.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

The 2.4 dhr2 is a weighty / draggy beast ime so beat avoided.

Mine is lighter than any of my other big volume Maxxis tyres (except the Rekon).

“Mine is lighter than any of my other big volume Maxxis tyres (except the Rekon).”

The DHR2 2.4 isn’t heavy (people mistakenly confuse tyre weight with rolling resistance) but it’s much draggier than the 2.3 dual compound version.

Onzadog

How does the DHRII 2.3″ sit on a 30mm rim?

Premier Icon seb84
    Subscriber

Fine that’s what I’m running at the back atm.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Question about the Assegai. I liked the look until I spotted the ‘terrain guide’ on Maxxis that indicated it was a terrible choice for the UK mud.

Is this actually not the case and Maxxis are underselling their tyre?

“Question about the Assegai. I liked the look until I spotted the ‘terrain guide’ on Maxxis that indicated it was a terrible choice for the UK mud.”

Much of the info on those Maxxis guides is wrong.

The two weak points of the Assegai is that it’s rather slow rolling and that it clogs up in sticky mud if you’re not riding fast enough. Makes a lot of sense for Greg Minaar!

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

So needs pace to clear itself (which is fair) but doesn’t struggle with the slip over wet muddy roots and rock?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

IMO no point in the highroller any more, the DHR2 is a better front and rear. 3C on the front, dual on the back for a competent-in-all-circumstances setup.

Shorty front, dhr2 rear is your #enduro mud and fear combo.

Rear depends on taste. I quite like a slippery rear end, so Ardent worked pretty well for me, semislicks do the same thing but better. But the Minion SS isn’t especially good, the Skwably Rockrazor is imo just a better tyre

carlos

Back to the OP question and as above, if you like the DHF on the front then

DHF 2.5 WT Maxx Terra on the front
    DHR 2, 2.4 WT Dual Compound on tbe rear

scruff

DHF and Agressor in the drier months, Shorty and DHR2 for the wetter, DHF /DHR2 for a couple of weeks / months in between.
    I only buy 2.5 WT tyres now, the grip and general feel are superb IMO, this is all on natural rooty trails.

“So needs pace to clear itself (which is fair) but doesn’t struggle with the slip over wet muddy roots and rock?”

I haven’t ridden it but the reviews suggest it’s an outstanding front tyre and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new tyre have such a quick uptake from WC DH and EWS racers!

bsims

I really like the Ardent on the back of my trail bike and on the front of my general bike, so much so I have bought an ardent for the rear of that bike to go on when the MK2 dies. Not sure Im brave enough for the front slidy action on the trail bike so maybe a Minion.

The Asssegai Maxxgrip has more grip on wet roots, rocks and slippery stuff than any tyre I’ve ridden. The next best tyre for me is the Magic Mary Ultrasoft, which clears slightly better, but isn’t as good at everything else.

The downside is that it’s really heavy and is pretty slow rolling – two things that don’t really bother me that much, as almost all of my winter riding is uplift or grinding up a fire road/push up.

JP

pothead

+1 for Shorty / DHR2, Doubledown casing on the rear, both 3c maxterra. I almost bought an Assegai for the front but could only find DH casing and was told the Shorty is a better tire in mud/wet conditions despite the shop in question having the Assegai in stock and no Shortys

alan1977

i had the hr2/ardent combo.. but now the mud is here swapped the hr2 to the back and chucked a shorty on the front

mjsmke

The Assegai seems very heavy. I don’t need the tougher casing so think I’ll stick to some of the others recommended above.

Looking at the skin wall versions I might have to go for them. They do look nice! Just wish there were more options for those.

pothead

+1 for Shorty / DHR2, Doubledown casing on the rear, both 3c maxterra. I almost bought an Assegai for the front but could only find DH casing and was told the Shorty is a better tire in mud/wet conditions despite the shop in question having the Assegai in stock and no Shortys

Shorty is better in mud, but the Assegai is better on wet roots/rock, and much better in mixed conditions.

The DH casing isn’t much different in weight to the DD – I think there’s only 30g in it.

JP

pothead

Each to their own I suppose and I would say look elsewhere if the op rides a lot of hardpack/rocky trails, but I find the Shorty to be the best up front for this time of year. The lad who recommended it is Danny Harts world cup mechanic and said that after testing prototype versions of the Assegai Danny still uses the DHR2 front and rear most of the time. To be fair Danny seems to ride in mud like most people ride in perfect conditions so I’m not ruling the Assegai out in future

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

I am on DHF 2.5 rear DD, 2.8 DHF exo front Plus. Seems to grip pretty good around Caberston.

Each to their own I suppose and I would say look elsewhere if the op rides a lot of hardpack/rocky trails, but I find the Shorty to be the best up front for this time of year. The lad who recommended it is Danny Harts world cup mechanic and said that after testing prototype versions of the Assegai Danny still uses the DHR2 front and rear most of the time. To be fair Danny seems to ride in mud like most people ride in perfect conditions so I’m not ruling the Assegai out in future

I think the DHR has got just as much grip, but it’s got a bit more of an on/off feel before it really digs in at greater lean angles. This doesn’t bother the pros, but I prefer a smoother transition.

JP

Premier Icon snotrag
    Subscriber

Shorty front DHR2 rear here for the soggier half of the year. Both in 2.35 MaxxTerra flavour as I am not into massive tyres!

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Tried my Hillbilly 2.6 / dhr2 3c 2.3 combo today and liked it a lot at a muddy FOD. Neither really clogged and braking was secure. The hillbilly seems quite similar to a magic Mary. You can get a little bit of a drift on with the rear in thickish mud but the front was glued down.

My previous comment about the 2.4dhr2 being draggy is compared to a 2.3 version of the same tyre. 2.4wt being dual compound exo and the 2.3 being a 3c exo version. Totally different tyres – I much prefer the 2.3. I’ve run it on both a 25mm and 30mm internal rim.

mjsmke

I really fancy a 2.4 Ardent rear and DHF 2.5 on the front but can’t find the DHF with skin walls in 2.5.

I can see it’s available in 2.3 but want a little wider.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.