Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Maxxis Aggressor 2.5WT up front?
  • chevychase

Looking for something faster rolling than a 29er 2.5WT DHF – which whilst great shouldn’t be anywhere near my hardtail 🙂

I want something large volume but fast rolling which is still going to give me decent levels of grip. Doing a full tyre swap (putting an ardent race on the rear, don’t mind a bit of rear slip) – and have 30mm hunt trail-wide rims.

Looking at the aggressor 2.5WT tho – it comes up *heavier* than a 2.4 WT DHR2 :\

What suggestions do you have? I know the aggressor in its slimmer format is a good rear, but was thinking the WT version would be good up front.

My hardtail is slow and dead with DHF up front and DHR on the back 🙁

carlos
    Free Member

DHR2 on the front?

I’ve run the DHR2 2.4 WT with a 2.3 Aggressor and I found it a good all round combo. I have now swapped to a DHF 2.5WT on the front and the DHR2 2.4 WT on the rear as its a bit sloppy out. As soon as it dries up a little I’ll be back on the DHR/Aggressor combo

chevychase

Got DHF/DHR combo atm. Want something faster rolling than them both ideally.

coppice
    Free Member

950g for the 29 2.5wt aggressor on my scales. I’ve bought it to go on the back replacing a 3″ knard

chevychase

How’s it roll @coppice?

benpinnick

For trail centre type riding the 2.5 is good. General riding less so but ok. Mud…

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, unless all your riding is dry or rocky maybe?

transition1
    Free Member

Looking at trying a 29X2.6 Hans Dampf speed grip on the front of my Smuggler

the00
    Free Member

I have bought an aggressor to try on the front like you suggest, paired with either an ardent or ardent race. When it dries up a bit that is, so no feedback yet.

chevychase

@the00 – I hear the 2.5 WT clears mud well.

Go on, give it a bash and report back 🙂

RichBowman

I’ve got the 2.5 on the back (DHF on the front). I like it – not noticed much losing grip from the DHR II WT that was on before, seems to roll better and okay in mud…

I’d say that the DHR II edges it for grip/braking in the mud, but I swear I can hear it virtually ripping up the ground as you move along!

Northwind

transition1

Looking at trying a 29X2.6 Hans Dampf speed grip on the front of my Smuggler

Unless the 2.6 has magically made it good, it’ll be both slower rolling and less grippy than a DHR2

davros

2.6 butcher grid? Only 30quid at Rutland. If you dare mix tyre brands…

chakaping
    Free Member

New Hans Dampf is way faster rolling than a dhr2.

Not sure I’d put one on the front though.

coppice
    Free Member

I’ve not fitted mine yet, it only turned up last week so cant comment on performance but its to go on the back of a 29+ rigid

the00
    Free Member

I’ve switched to 29×2.5 Aggressor on the front, and 29×2.4 Ardent on the rear as my early summer / mid-season tyre combo. I have now tried the Aggressor at the front like this, and at the rear partnered to a DHF or Magic Mary on the front earlier in the year.

Generally I think the aggressor is best suited to hard pack and rocky trails. It has more knobs than a Minion, more closely spaced. I think it does roll better than a Minion on hard surfaces, and would attribute that to the more closely spaced tread. Obviously this is most noticeable on the rear. However the difference to a DHF is pretty small when off-road.
    It does get ‘part-clogged’ in softer surfaces, which can reduce the bite available. It’s performance on roots has been ok, better than the Ardent, possibly mostly down to width, volume and area of rubber available. Performance in loam and loose soil is pretty rubbish compared to the more aggro tyres, but similar to the Ardent.

So overall… yes it works on the front when not too wet or loose. It has proved to offer similar or better grip than the Ardent in most situations. For me my preference lately is to ride steeper, looser trails, so I am finding the Aggressor / Ardent combo to be a bit lacking compared to Minions, but it’s ok as a middle ground offering. For most people I’d say a DHF is a better option front or rear. I suppose it is designed to sit between a DHF and the Arent or Ikon, and that was exactly my experience.

I haven’t got much experience of Schwalbe tyres, but the MM is ok, so perhaps I’ll try Hans Dampf next year. I’ve had two Maxxis tyres go wobbly in the last year (1x Ardent, 1x DHF), so I do wonder if Schwalbe might be tougher… but then the HD is pretty lightweight so perhaps not.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

What about a chunky monkey? I’ve found it pretty good as a front on my HT.

mrhoppy

I’ve got one on the rear of my Rallon, not a chance would I think of putting it on the front. It’s a good rear tyre in most conditions but it can be wandery at the best of times.

dc1988

You can get a Nobby nic in a decent volume, would be much lighter than a DHF and still provide some bite

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Was pleasantly surprised by how well the 2.3 DHF rolls up front but probs not for 30mm rim? Sounds like the 2.5 doesn’t roll as well? Now running an e13 up front and its grip is immense – better than DHF IMHO but like towing a bucket on the back.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve seen a bike offered for sale with Aggressor front and High Roller rear?

It would need to be full hardpack rocky rocks for me to consider putting an Aggressor up front #suicidaltendencies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Aggressor 2.5WT up front?’ is closed to new replies.