Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Maxxis Aggressor?
  • Fat-boy-fat

I’m looking for a decent dual ply tyre for the rear wheel for a trip to Finale. The Maxxis Aggressor has been recommended by my local bike shop. Does anyone have experience of these on the rear or any other recommendations?

For info, I’ve got a magic Mary on the front and normally run a hans dampf on the back.

Cheers.

Neb

I use the Aggressor on the back, it’s a good tyre! The Doubledown carcass is nicely thick, but not too heavy. It is a bit gripper than I expected, but that’s compared to my previous knackered tyres. Id say ideal for an alps / finale trip.

honourablegeorge

Waiting for my DD version to arrive, but everything I’ve read/been told suggests it’s a great tyre. Figured the DD version onthe rear woud be ideal for uplifts and the like without going full dual ply.

Surprisingly though, Maxxis reckon it rolls slower than a DHR2.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’m running EXO versions front and rear. Previously ran various combos of HR2 and Minion DHF and they’re more like HR2 than the Minions. Had a Minion SS before it on the rear, Aggressor grippier and not any difference in rolling resistance.

I like them, feel like a good all rounder. Surprised at just how much grip they’ve got, and they seem to roll quicker than expected too. Weighed less than listed.

zelak999
    Free Member

I have a 27.5 X 2.3 TR DD in the for sale ads if you’re interested, two rides old.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Maxxis reckon it rolls slower than a DHR2.

Really? I found the DHR2 horrible on the back for that reason. Currently running an Ardent rear but the aggressor looked a good compromise

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t trust Maxxis’s rolling resistance ratings at all – they’re a bit random at best but also rolling resistance varies so much with the surface, so a tyre which is quicker on hard ground than one may be slower than another on soft ground.

I’ve found the DHR2 3C surprisingly fast rolling for how grippy it is but the dual compound is a lot faster on the back, not much slower on softer ground than a Minion SS though more obviously slower on hard ground.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rock razor supergravity was spot on for me in Finale, with a mary on the front.

Fat-boy-fat

Ooo. You mean I could keep my schwalbe loyalty? Interesting.

honourablegeorge

simons_nicolai-uk – Member

Really? I found the DHR2 horrible on the back for that reason

Yep… 4 for Minion SS, 3 for DHR2 and 2 for Aggressor. In the 2016 catalogue. I’ve chosen not to believe them.

beano68
    Free Member

I’m running a DD Aggressor 29er up front and it does hold its own well even in sloppy conditions.

Got an Ardent on the rear at the mo, but just waiting to fit a minion ss on the rear next

chakaping
    Free Member

Ooo. You mean I could keep my schwalbe loyalty? Interesting.

Yep, the RR was absolutely perfect for out there.

The Mary maybe a bit overkill, but I couldn’t afford a new HR2 or Minion to use instead.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just did a blog about the trip if you fancy a little aperitivo, so to speak…

That Riviera Touch – Finale Ligure and Molini

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Aggressor?’ is closed to new replies.