Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Maxxis 3C or Dual Compounds – Yes more tyre threads……..
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’m looking at the new High Roller 2 tubeless ready tyres.
    What is the Maxxis 3C compound like compared to a standard high roller dual compound?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have not used the 3C HRs but I have a 3C Minion for the front and I’m not too fond of it. The 70a centre compound seems fast enough but it doesn’t feel good as it transitions onto the softer shoulder lugs. Good grip once it’s over but a bit like the original HR there’s a brief feeling that the tyre is sliding.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers Rocketman.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

got 3c HR2 on the front and am happy enough. don’t know/think that the centre is 70a… certainly doesn’t feel soft. certainly softer than the 60a HR2 on the rear…

ride the alps, all natural, no trail centres. mostly rocky/loose.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

On the 3C Minions and High Roller 2s the MaxxTerra 3C compound is used. This is a 70a base layer, 50a on the centre knobs and 42a on the cornering knobs.

It rolls faster than Super Tacky but feels just as grippy. I’m really happy with it. It also wears better than 3C.

alpin
    Free Member

my finger nail squish test has been vindicated!

zelak999
    Free Member

Might give the 3C Maxx Terra a go then. When they are available!!

GolfChick
    Free Member

The OH has preordered some of the HR2 2.35 TR EXO, he wasn’t too bothered about the 3C bit. They were due in on the 12th, if thats any help.

zelak999
    Free Member

Took the plunge and bought the HR2 2.3 MaxxTerra 3C compound TR tyre for the front.
    I bought from Next Day Tyres only to find it £10 cheaper at STIF after i had fitted it!
    Tried it out last night.
    It was slower (obviously) than a HR 1 2.35 Lust on the ups and the small bit of road i encountered, but it was awesome on the downs.
    Super grippy in the corners and really confidence inspiring.
    Just need to find a ‘Summer’ rear tyre to speed things up a bit.
    Im using the HR 1 2.35 Lust at the moment, maybe go for a LUST Ardent but i am tempted to go for the 60a HR2 2.3 non 3C.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 3C Exo 2.5″ Minion on the front for a few weeks now and it’s way more grippy than the 60a it replaced. Hoping to gain more grip too as I’m pretty sure I can drop the pressure down from 30 to about 25psi 🙂

butterbean
    Free Member

It depends on the 3C tyres you are talking about?

The 3C downhill compounds are different to the 3C EXO compounds.

It sounds like you’re talking about the non DH compounds, which IMO are a nice bnalance between grip & rolling resistance. I run one on the front of my bike when I want something that’s a bit more than my usual tyres (Enduro racing mainly).

stevied
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis 3C or Dual Compounds – Yes more tyre threads……..’ is closed to new replies.