Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxx D / Six Pack how bright on low?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Is the low power setting on the reflex programs ok for bits of road riding or is it still mega bright and dazzling to cars? Going to be used mainly off road but there’s always a bit of road involved to get there and to link up bridleways.

Ta

lustyd
    Free Member

They are plenty bright enough, but are not road lights as they don’t have the right lens. As such they will put you in danger by blinding drivers coming towards you. Just get a second cheaper road light if you must go on roads.
    I find the low setting on my MaxxD bright enough for off road if I’m out for a while. If not I just stick it on sunshine mode and ride like it’s daytime.

chiefgrooveguru

If it’s like my earlier Exposures you just program the levels to suit the brightness you need.

parkesie
    Free Member

Maxxd on low is still bright on road I really have to angle mine down a lot to avoid blinding people.

steve_b77
    Free Member

About 1000 lumen, so plenty bright enough. I actually find a Diablo better as it had a more focused beam

leffeboy

It’s just too bright for road.  It’s much easier just to have a small light that is suitable for the road and that also gives you a backup in case the main light fails

tenfoot

I agree, the maxx d on low is still too bright for the road. I have a Switch set on low which is on during the whole ride and is bright enough to see with on road sections, where the maxx d gets turned off if someone is coming the other way.

ta11pau1

Exposure do a STVZO compliant light, the Optix all terrain, which has a low road beam with cut off and a high beam for off road.

Come winter I might buy one to cover both commuting on road and off road mtb duties. Reviews are hard to come by though!

benp1

I also have my eyes on an optix. Currently use a strada on and off road.

Strange how there are no reviews at all, yet loads of reviews on the other exposure lights. Something is up there…

bigfoot
    Free Member

don’t agree with others above, the sixpack is fine for road sections on low. only time i’ve ever been flashed at by cars is if i’ve forgotton to turn it off full.

chiefgrooveguru

I use my Maxx-D and Diablo as front commmuting lights in the winter. You can turn them down pretty low with the programmable newer versions. Surely the even newer reflex Maxx-D allows this?

ta11pau1

But if its low enough to not blind drivers, is it not bright enough to see on unlit roads?

My aldi Led set isn’t quite bright enough, it doesn’t have the ‘penetration’ to pick out potholes at 20-30mph. Yet it’s still bright enough to be pain in the beam.

Lights with a proper flat cut off can be as bright as they like and not dazzle.

chiefgrooveguru

“But surely if its low enough to not blind drivers, it’s probably not bright enough to see on unlit roads?“

You can turn them up and down, just like when MTBing. I’m in town anyway so the roads aren’t unlit.

simon_g

It’s how I use my MaxxD and I don’t get flashed when it’s on low. You can get the mount tight enough that it won’t move when riding but can be adjusted up and down a bit. You also have some side to side adjustment too – if I was using on road I’d have it down and left a bit more.

lustyd
    Free Member

The road use is nothing to do with brightness it’s the lens. Same as with cars when you take them from UK to EU – in the old days you had to fit blinders because the focus was in other drivers eyes. It says this clearly on the Exposure website – the reason they make a road specific light is that it has a focus down onto the road whereas the MTB ones spray light everywhere including at drivers eyes. In theory you could fit a shade but for the cost of a road light you may as well just buy a second light. Any setup that works on road and isn’t an issue for drivers will be ineffective off road so your £300 light will work like a £30 light in the woods.

I guess you could get two brackets and angle one at the ground for road use, but Exposure brackets cost more than cheap road lights…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxx D / Six Pack how bright on low?’ is closed to new replies.