Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Maxle/Revelations/Hope Pro2 issues – Help please
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

hello

my new bike is so close to being done apart from I have one really niggly little problem. For the life of me I can not get the front wheel completely rigid, or to put it another way, there is slight play coming from somehwere. It’s not the headset, it’s not the calpier or disc and I can only hope it’s not the fork lowers or the Hope hub as they are brand new. I have screwed the Maxle in as tight as it will go and the qr bit through the Maxle I really shouldn’t do any tighter I don’t think (I am using a cloth to get it that tight otherwise my hand slip) but still there is a minute amount of play.

I remember on old STW there was a similar thread (which I can find on Google strangely) but as I can no longer see it I can’t remember what the outcome was.

Would it be a Maxle issue?
    Could I try shimming the hubs?

any thoughts?

ta in advance

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How are you checking for play? It should be fairly easy to work out where it’s coming from if you approach it logically.

(I have a theory, but let’s see what you say first 🙂 )

GEDA
    Free Member

Had to bash the bearing in on the pro II’s after swapping from my Z2 to a pike fork.

csb

You sure it’s not the brake pads moving slightly in the caliper when you rock the bike forward?

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mate, i think you should get out there and ride it, the rattles will sort themselves out! 😉 Matt

rustydub
    Free Member

Hi whippersnapper, I went through the same frustrating problem recently with my Pikes.
    I thought it was the wheel bearings but after changing them the problem was still there. In the end I solved it by stripping the Maxel down, giving it all a good clean and streching the springs which are in there, they seemed to have become compressed over a few years use.
    The best test I found to confirm if its a Maxel problem is to fit the Maxel without the wheel and do it up, if there is play there its definately the Maxel.It should screw in to the RH stantion and then when closed the slack is taken up on the cones, try it you will see what I mean.
    The position in which the Qr is closed also has effect on play.
    Hope this helps.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

check one headset
    check two front brake bolts

the play is felt when holding front brake and rocking gently, exactly the same as when I check my headset. If you do this and hold the front wheel too you can feel a gently knocking. Tip the bike upside down, foot on handlebar and gently move wheel from side to side i can feel very slight play.

Strangely before i put the tyre on everything seemed tight, it’s not the tyre though i’m fairly sure of that 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

go on PP, gimme a clue, please

Rustdub, will try your method this evening

retro83
    Free Member

I had exactly this problem with brand new Pro 2s and Pikes.

I think the thread was on the old forum though.

In my case replacing the bearings solved it. Phone Hope, but if you’ve tightened the maxle (both parts – screw it into the fork then tighten the other QR nobby bit) then I’d bet it’s the bearings.

fwiw Chelmer Cycles said my bearings had ‘lateral play’

whippersnapper
    Free Member

ok, checked the Maxle on it’s own without the wheel Rustydub, that has no play.

PP? What’s your theory…go on you can tell me 😉

Should it be a Maxle or bearing issue and given that everything is brand spanking new is it just something I have to take on the chin and cough up for or do you think contacting Hope/Rock Shox first is the way to go?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Are you doing up the QR thingy as tight as possible before you have screwed the Maxle all the way home? This gets the cam as tight as possible before screwing it all the way in and flipping the lever over. The lever should have significant “spring” in it as you flip it over.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

The QR is am doing as tight as I would a normal QR. To get it any tighter I’d have to start using something to get a good grip, do I need to do that?

rustydub
    Free Member

NO don’t overtighten the Maxel otherwise you will damage it and they cost 40 quid!
    Out of interest have you had the Pikes from new?
    I seem to remember someone claiming a flaw on some of the Pikes, but that was on the old forum.
    Others with this problem have had them sorted out on warranty by Rock Shox.
    Mine are about 3 years old so it was nevert an option for me.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

they are brand new Revelations with the new Maxle lite (luckily at old RS prices)

rustydub
    Free Member

They will be covered by warranty then, I think the next step should be contacting RockShox, or Hope who have good customer services.

clubber
    Free Member

As suggested above, it sounds like the slight movement of disc pads in the caliper that you get on some brands (certainly Hope ones) – easiest way to check that is to do the rocking test and see whether the rotor moves relative to the caliper.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

but pads and caliper (Shimano by the way) issues wouldn’t account for sideways play without brakes on would it?

clubber
    Free Member

No, shouldn’t do so long as you’re doing it straight but this:

the play is felt when holding front brake and rocking gently, exactly the same as when I check my headset. If you do this and hold the front wheel too you can feel a gently knocking.

certainly sounds like the pads moving in the calipers

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mate, look at the first reply to this review
    http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/reviews/hope-pro-2-hub-set-review/
    Matt

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Not that useful, but other people seem to have the same problem
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14784469

Don’t want to seem cheeky but have you put the steel clips for the 20mm bits in the right place as i seem to remember i effed that up first time i tried…
    cheers
    matt

whippersnapper
    Free Member

useful link that first one, ta dexbex. Regrading metal clips, I havent moved them since I’ve had them….where should they be?

just had an interesting chat with Hope who told me that unfortunately it could be one of those things. Assumming bearings are good (checking tonight) then it is just a compatability issue. Due to the floating spacer design, tolerances and the fact Maxles do not clamp the forks as a bolt thru or QR would then this small amount of play will happen. I wasn’t being fobbed off, the bloke was incredibly helpful and said if it was the bearings or a hub issue then they would replace no probs.

This will really bug me if it is ‘one of those things’. Bloody impulsiveness and STW articles scaring me about QRs 😉

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, my mate has this issue with his Hope pro 2 hubs on a 36 Vanilla… Hope told him the same thing.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

yep, I was told it was both the RS and Fox systems.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmm, i had the same problem on some old Z1’s and bulbs

the axel appeared to be smaller than the bearings so therw eas play, which dissapeared when everythign was tightened up. I just ignored it in the end.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Maxle/Revelations/Hope Pro2 issues – Help please’ is closed to new replies.