• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxle Worked Itself Loose – Anyone Else?
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

out in the peaks today, was pushing up, after about 40km noticed my bike was making a knocking noise from the front, stopped and checked and the Maxle had worked itself very loose.

2014 SID’s

anyone else had this issue, not like i can thread lock it 😐

moshimonster
    Free Member

Nope, never on my 2004 Pike.

grahamt1980

Had it on the back of my dh bike. scares the shit out of you when the wheel comes loose at speed. The way I fixed it was to tighten the maxle. flip the cam over then turn the cam lever until it is tight. No problems since then other than having to retension my back wheel

kimbers

yup had it happen a couple of times on my pikes, end up overtightening it coz im paranoid now and i have to have it pointing forwards to get it t stay done up

back one flapped loose a few times, took it to sram tent at a race and they said it was fine, came to put my bike in the car on the way out, loose again!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

SID is a maxle light i must add,

i cannot work out how it would come loose without the lever moving?

EDIT: hang on the lever is independent of the axle, i guess the axle could rotate while the lever remains in the same position

chip
    Free Member

I can’t see the maxle unscrewing itself without the lever turning with it or flapping about.
    If the lever remained tight against the bolt and pointing in the same direction I would have thought the threads where worn and it was pulling out,
    The threads on the fork leg are plastic are they not and are they some sort of insert that can be replaced.

curvature
    Free Member

There a small screw at the base of the lever that sets the tension on the maxel lever.

I think it takes a 2 or 2.5 Allen key. Tightening this will increase the clamping tension of the maxel lever.

Once adjusted you won’t have any problems.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

If the lever remained tight against the bolt and pointing in the same direction I would have thought the threads where worn and it was pulling out,

4th decent long ride out on the, shouldn’t be worn at all

There a small screw at the base of the lever that sets the tension on the maxel lever.

cheers ill have a look

twonks

I had the original maxel light on my 2012 SIDs and it was frankly horrid.

Whoever designed it then sat back and took pride in it wants shooting imho.

Never came loose on me admittedly, but also never quite (without a lot of messing around) got the wheel tight enough to stop the Hope pro II evo hub having play side to side.

When I did get it tight enough the square shoulder of the shroud snapped.

Enough is enough so I bought the latest version that works as a normal QR. Not had a problem since and it locks easily and solidly.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I had a set of Revelations where the Maxle would loosen. Oddly a bit of grease on the thread seemed to prevent it.

teasel
    Free Member

When I did get it tight enough the square shoulder of the shroud snapped.

As has been mused before, folk seem to misunderstand how the tightening of the axle works. The shroud you speak of should only be subjected to finger weight when turning. The screw advice above helps get the QR tension correct if it’s wrong out of the box.

A lot of people have stuffed their axles by screwing it tight instead of using the quick release.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rear one on my HT yeah, must be all the rattling about.

Done it up v tight now, just hope I don’t get a flat in the cold.

deviant
    Free Member

As others said, tighten the Allen key fixing at the base of the lever to get it good as new, have had to do my Sektors maybe twice in 18 months, most people don’t know it exists and complain about the maxle system but if the torsion is correct with this Allen key adjustment then it’s a great system.

twonks

As has been mused before, folk seem to misunderstand how the tightening of the axle works. The shroud you speak of should only be subjected to finger weight when turning. The screw advice above helps get the QR tension correct if it’s wrong out of the box.

A lot of people have stuffed their axles by screwing it tight instead of using the quick release.

Don’t get me wrong, I know the above and didn’t use the plastic bit as a edge to lever against until I’d had enough of the damn thing.

After 12 months of the grub screw coming loose every few rides and going through a process just to make sure the front wheel was in tight, I’d had enough and broke it.

I’d agree that when it works it is good, but you only have to search forums and see how many people can’t get a good fit with Hope hubs to suggest the mechanism is a flawed design (or the hub is ! )

Either way, mk2 of the axle is essentially a big QR and requires no faffing what so ever.

Del

After 12 months of the grub screw coming loose every few rides and going through a process just to make sure the front wheel was in tight, I’d had enough and broke it.

surely this just suggested that the grub screw wanted some loctite? some light stuff, like 222, would do the job of keeping it in place without introducing enough resistance to stop you adjusting it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxle Worked Itself Loose – Anyone Else?’ is closed to new replies.