• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • maxle unwinding?
  • jedi

3 of us had the maxle work loose whilst riding last week in chamonix. my mate pauls was almost fully out!
    anyone else had this?

Stoner
    Free Member

tighten the cam nut and lock it in the recess?

Jeffus
    Free Member

not had any problems for 2 years , but not riding as extreme as chamonix

julianwilson
    Free Member

never! (2 ‘old maxle’ pikes and a maxle lite reba team). But i am way less gnar than you 😆 you’d have thought that because they screw in clocwise from the right hand side that if there was any resistance in knackered or severely rattled hub bearings, it would tighten it up not loosen it…

jedi

stoner. all done but happened

Stoner
    Free Member

was the cam lever open or closed?

jedi

closed on all 3 firmly. pauls lever opended!

Jeffus
    Free Member

maybe lock with a tie wrap until you get back better safe than sorry

Stoner
    Free Member

given how they work, then for the whole maxle to unwind from the NDS, the cam and wedge would need to have not flared the ends enough. That’s where Id be lookin’

jedi

im back now. its never happened before but i wonder if it does but only slightly and as i change wheels often i dont notice

grantway
    Free Member

put a little bit of Araldite glue in the thread and tighten.

This has been mentioned before regarding the Maxle coming loose on here.

jedi

araldite? i remove the front wheel lots

Potdog
    Free Member

Never had it happen on the front, but the rear Maxle regularly works itself loose on mine. Only way to stop it is to have the adjustment so tight that I can barely open and close the QR lever.

It always worries me that after tight comes broken, so now I have it at a reasonable tightness and just check it regularly.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Never happened to me – 2.5 seasons guiding in the Alps with a maxle.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Twice had it come out completely on a rear Maxle. I now check it religiously.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Interesting – Jedi, it sounds like you think there might be a link between you removing the Maxle a lot to swap wheels, and the associated looseness.

Maybe a little threadlock might do the job? The zip tie idea sounds like a good temp fix as well – we used to do that back when it were all fields in Metabief back when DH bikes had QRs that occasionally came undone. All stuff that’s meant to come undone easily with the human mitt tends to shake loose eventually, if jiggled enough, I suppose.

Hope Chamonix was good, mind.

jedi

chamonix was rad as ever. its never happened before but to happen to 3 of us is wierd

big_scot_nanny

Are 3 of you particularly close mates, with friend number 4 being slightly outside the main group?

Any one of your party sitting with a face like thunder, glaring at the fun the three of were having as great mates together?

Did one of your group’s maxle mysteriously remain unnafected?

😯

I think some finger pointing might be in order! 😉

Kev

NigE5
    Free Member

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago, I thought that I did not put enough turns on it. I have adjusted the nut at the end and make sure the cam is very tight.
    So much for the axle type being safer than QR.

jedi

maybe the heat of braking heats the thread leg?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Had loads of problems on my rear one loosening too. Eventually i took it off and went back to QR.

Its a fundamental problem with the design IMO. Unless you do it up amazingly tight, its quite easy to put enough leverage on the lever to make it spin round and undo. That can’t happen with a regular QR.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

I had this problem whilst riding Yak Attack, literally had to stop 2 to 3 times a stage to tighten it up. No matter what I did / how tight I had it , it would still come loose. Never did cure it and reveted back to QR once back in the UK

alpin
    Free Member

???? never heard or seen this happen.

rode over 4,000km last summer and i removed the front wheel twice…
    once due to a puncture and then half an hour later to fit a new tyre.

is the lever tight enough? the lever on my Lyriks takes some effort to close.

odd.

GW
    Free Member

I’ve only had boxxer maxles come loose/unscrew themselves and never pike/reba ones. take it you lot had big forks with the same size thread as a Boxxer maxle?

jedi

lyriks.

GW
    Free Member

Aye, same thread size. (I think)

jedi

gw, weird though eh. pauls almost fell out 🙂

i have mine done up stoopid hard too

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘maxle unwinding?’ is closed to new replies.