Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxle QR lever broken
  • ThePinkster

After lending one of my bikes to someone the 20mm Maxle on my Lyriks has come back broken (please don’t ask, it’s a long and not very good story).

Although it tightens up OK the QR lever flops around now rather than locking in position, so I’ve got 2 questions –

a) is it easy/cheap to fix?
    b) if not, which replacement Maxle do I need?

All the sales stuff refers to chassis size of either 32mm or 35/40mm. What does that relate to?

Cheers for any light you can shine on this.

woody2000

I’m sure there’s an allen bolt somewhere you tighten up to resolve this. Mine did the same thing after only a couple of rides, I just tightened it up “somewhere” and it was fine after that.

ThePinkster

Cheers woody, much appreciated, will check that out when I get home.

woody2000

3mm allen key in here I think:

flyingmonkeycorps

If not then the chassis size refers to the stanchion size – my Lyriks are 35 mm, (old) Pikes were 32 mm – the Maxles weren’t compatible. It’s worth stripping / regreasing every now and then anyway, that might help shed light on the problem.

ThePinkster

Brilliant, thanks both.

Northwind

There’s an older version of the maxle that came on a lot of lyriks, that has the adjuster on the other end, it’s basically like a QR. Totally compatible, just they work differently so be careful when trying to find out how to tweak it.

I reckon it’s fine and just needs adjusted, most things that would stop the adjuster from working would also make the lever drop off I think.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah – I *think* mine unscrews by hand from t’other end, it’s probably just that that needs adjusting.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a good chance it’s the older kind with the classic qr nut on the other end. When my mate fiddled with mine he had no idea how it worked, unscrewed the nut and it disappeared, luckily I had a spare. Sounds like you mate may have done something similar.

ThePinkster

Mine does look rather like the one Woody posted the image of (2013 vintage IIRC) but will know for sure this evening. I’m pretty certain the threaded end is just a tube – don’t remember seeing and nuts there.

Cheers folks, will let you all know how I get on.

hainman
    Free Member

The maxle on my lyrics is like this too,goes very slack to the point it just flips around so need to tighten the Allen bolt slightly and it stops it flopping

ThePinkster

Yep, woody was right – it was a 2.5mm hex bolt at the lever end. Took about 30 seconds to sort out.

Thanks for your help folks. 😀

Marin
    Free Member

Mates snapped off on Sunday on Garburn Pass.
    May now carry a spare. It was a long walk in the rain.

Marin
    Free Member

That’s a handy tip by the way. Remove the axe from my helmet unnamed person.

Northwind

You just need some mangineering.

The old maxles were more bodgable, since they’re basically just bolts with delusions of grandeur. The new cam type ones need a little thought.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxle QR lever broken’ is closed to new replies.