Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • maximum you would pay for a………………..
  • ton

frame…
    how much would it be……….. ❓

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

£3k plus for something utterly, deliciously bespoke.

What are you buying this time, big fella?

brakes
    Free Member

£1k of my own money
    £2k of someone elses
    £3k of yours

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IA

Depends how much cash I had…. i look enviously at gboxx2 nicolai Ions, and they're 4.5k… do include drivetrain mind.

mafiafish
    Free Member

depends on income, if you can afford it and it will make you happy buy it.

CHB

How much is a Jones? Theres your answer.
    However in practice probably £1500.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I would pay a lot for a decent condition Kirk Revolution

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A few hundred secondhand. I'm tightfisted me.

ton

nothing yet mate.
    just interested really.
    i was talking to a bloke about it today, he does not understand why someone would pay a couple of k for a frame.
    got me thinking, for a grand you can buy a very good framed bike.
    pretty light, pretty robust.
    is the stuff above this any better??
    or is it just pose value??

big-chief-96
    Free Member

£200

then i can afford the rest of the bike 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

for a grand you can buy a very good framed bike.

That's a tough one. As you say, £1k gets you a whole lot of bike these days! That said, if you were to pay treble that and have something built just for you, to do exactly what you want it to, I would expect it to be that much better. You can buy a suit from Asda for £50 or so. Or, you can go to your tailor (if you have one!) and have a suit made to order for about £700 to £1000 or so. The latter will fit properly, the breaks in the trousers will be spot on and the shoulders will fit just so. Also, it will have the raffish turnups I am currently trying to bring back in to fashion!

Equally, a bespoke frame, let's say an ultra distance tourer, will fit your body shape better, it will have the braze ons which you want for what you are going to do, and that has to be a good thing!

Pays yer money etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not much tbh dont see that much engineering/materials or workmanship to justify £1500+ prices. Think they see you coming personally and they are a rip off – look what Brant /On one can knock them out at and I assume still make a healthy profit.

mrmo
    Free Member

for a road bike, whatever i can afford, for an mtb i am a bit more reserved, it is going to get trashed quickly

singlespeedstu

My only restrictions would be.
    Can I afford it.
    Do i really want it.

If the answer to both of these is yes then I'll buy it.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Depends on how much you're gonna use it I reckon. I'd be prepared to spend whatever I could afford (and borrow) if I really wanted/needed something. Most expensive frame I've ever bought was my current Tazer and I don't regret it for a second . . . I still look at other frames but I couldn't justify how much I'd lose if I considered another frame swap just for the sake of a change. That said, I bought a rather expensive BMX frame just after Christmas – looks the dogs built up but a combination of it being a tad too long and my zero bmx skills certainly not justifying such expenditure, means that it was replaced even before being ridden properly, by another frame less than one third of the price and hey, this one fits 😛 .

vinnyeh

Doesn't really matter- I'd probably baulk though at buying new something expensive that was going to depreciate massively as soon as I'd bought it-
    For example, anything by Foes, Scott carbon all mountain frames. 8)

igm

ton – Member
    nothing yet mate.
    just interested really.
    i was talking to a bloke about it today, he does not understand why someone would pay a couple of k for a frame.

Did you explain you'd already ridden/owned all the frames at a lower price point?

Taff
    Free Member

I would pay a lot for a Fat Chance shockabilly or Yo Eddy. 300 on xc hardtail and 600 on secondhand dh frame

Onzadog
    Free Member

The problem is, the next best thing is only ever a couple of hundred quid more than what you were drooling over last so it's easy to keep upselling yourself.

I've been known to spend way more than I can afford on a frame before.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Come on Ton spill the beans, my bets are on a Foes 29er or Nicolai custom 29er 😉

oxnop
    Free Member

just bought a 2010 mojo SL frame – that's the most I would spend.

andrewh
    Free Member

for a grand you can buy a very good framed bike.

Is a Ferrari 458 worth three times as much as a Skyline? I've driven a 575 (sadly not mine) and suspect it might be…

Got a Yeti Carbon, cost £lots. much better than my old Marin. Three times as nice? No. But then laws of diminishing returns must set in at some point.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I wouldn't pay anymore than the market value of a custom made 853 frame which I think is about £650ish at the moment. I am not at all sold on ti frames…

vrapan
    Free Member

However much Giant would charge me to make an Advanced Anthem SL in XS size 🙂

luke
    Free Member

Upto £500 for a steel frame (although I have spent more)
    Upto £1000 for an off the shelf ti frame
    upto £1000 for a run of the mill full sus frame maybe £1500 for something a bit special
    and up to £2000 for a special ti frame.

bol

My Litespeed would have cost about £2.5k new, which I would never have considered, but I got it for a snip as it belonged to one of the only other guys in the world as lanky as me, who happened to get his team race frames for free. Now I've got it, if I lost it, I guess I'd have to find the money to get another one made, so about £2.5k. 😯

ac282

I would only pay 1/2 what I could afford. I don't think I could ride hard on a frame I couldn't afford to replace.

nuke

About £1000 max for me but I've never spent that much yet as I've never found a frame I think is worth spending that on.

Special_ized_Jamie

I have decided as soon as my wedding is out the way (Aug this year) I am getting a Turner 5 Spot. They are about £1900 at the moment so guess thats how much!

genesis
    Free Member

Steve Potts Cycles lots if only I could actually afford one!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think everyone viewing/posting on this thread would shell out a large lump of their disposable – 200 or 2K…

stoney
    Free Member

I bought a road TT frame from the states @$2200….(£1700) They retail over here @ £2700 😯

Only have to build it now 😐

mboy
    Free Member

The age old "law of diminishing returns" question…

If I'm spending my money, am I getting technology that works, or just pose value? I'm way more bothered about the former than the latter by the way…

Most I have spent to date on a frame only was £900 (a 2003 Specialized S-Works Enduro when it came out). Would I pay that again? Yes/No/Maybe dependant on the situation…

If I won the lottery on Wednesday, Thursday morning you maye very well find me going straight out to buy a brand spanking new Intense Uzzi, a Cotic BFe, a Niner SIR9 and a few other frames all at the same time though! But until then, it's not gonna happen…

igm

as soon as my wedding is out the way

Romance lives

steve_b77
    Free Member

Most I've paid for a frame was £400 yes £400 for an '07 Nicolai Helius CC :mrgreen:

Don't see the point of paying much more when 2nd had bargains are available like that

tazzymtb

if it makes my shiny tart synapses start firing then lots of money, I'd sell organs (maybe even mine) for something really "special"

usually up to 1.5K for a hardtail frame up to 3.5K for a boingly frame, although at the moment I've gone back to reasonably priced frames until I see something I REALLY NEED. 😀

will1
    Free Member

I reckon £2k on a frame and £400 on a shock is about right!!

ton

I reckon £2k on a frame and £400 on a shock is about right!!

i think that sounds spot on too………. 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

Mine cost £1200 new.
    They now sell them, one year on, for £800.
    🙁

bonesetter
    Free Member

stinger

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘maximum you would pay for a………………..’ is closed to new replies.