Maximum RAM for a Laptop

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maximum RAM for a Laptop
  • mk1fan

Afternoon.

My laptop has 3gb RAM at the moment – 2gb and 1gp SODIMM cards/sticks. The laptop – according to manufacturer – can use up to 4gb. However, I am running 32-bit Vista and have read that it only recognises / uses up to 3.5gb of RAM.

My question is;
    If I were to swap out the 1gb for a 2gb would Vista use the extra 500meg or would it just not run at all?

The 2gb cards are only about £25ish so buying one isn’t going to ruin me.

z1ppy

all you wanted to know and more

I’d save the cash and ‘maybe’ put it towards a SSD (solid sate) hard drive, to get supposedly better performance.

Premier Icon db
    Subscriber

would not bother unless you plan to upgrade to 64bit OS tbh

Any real reason why you want to? I would put the money towards an OS upgrade

dirtydog

Waste of £25.00, it won’t make any noticeable difference.

cranberry

I’d save the cash and ‘maybe’ put it towards a SSD (solid sate) hard drive, to get supposedly better performance.

^^^^^^ This.

An SSD will make a big difference to performance and use less power. If you want to make better use of your current memory install CCleaner and reduce the number of applications that do sweet FA and yet still start at each boot.

EDIT: If you stick with a standard hard drive then Fraggles are your enemy – get a defrag program and that’ll help keep things running nicely.

mk1fan
    xiphon

If you upgrade a 64bit OS, your laptop may support up to 8GB RAM.

Mine ‘officially’ only takes up to 4GB, but it has 8GB inside it (£30 from MrMemory!! silly price!)

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

There’s a lot of misunderstanding around this particular wormcan, so thanks to z1ppy for posting that link so that I don’t have to get vexed on my day off.

Will it work? Yes. Can you use all of it? No. Will another half a gig (give or take) make a massive difference in the the grand scheme of things? No.

That said, for the sake of £20 quid it’s a small upgrade at a low price, I’d almost certainly do it regardless. If you’ve got an SD card slot in there that you never use, then a smallish fast SD card for Readyboost is another quick win for next to no money.

The other approach, as others have hinted at, would be to go to 8Gb / x64. This is a much bigger job; broadly, you’re looking at replacing all the RAM (about 80 quid) and formatting and reinstalling the OS with a 64-bit version. To do this your laptop chipset will have to support it and you’ll have to source Vista 64-bit (or buy W7), both of which will involve longer conversations. Whether this is even remotely worth your while will depend entirely on the usage of your laptop.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Mine ‘officially’ only takes up to 4GB, but it has 8GB inside it (£30 from MrMemory!! silly price!)

I’m in the same boat actually, the scanners from the likes of Crucial go “4Gb” but the chipset supports 8Gb and there’s tales on forums from people who’ve done it successfully. Only problem is the RAM is prohibitively expensive, cheapest I’ve found for a pair of 4Gb PC2-6400 SODIMMs is about £85 which, whilst not bank-breaking, is more than I want to spend on a whim.

xiphon

Cougar – The laptop in question is a Tosh L450-136, upgraded over the 2 years of ownership.

http://bit.ly/JL7TyL

Intel GL40 chipset – officially has 4GB limit..
    Celeron 900 2.2G -> Core2Duo 2.2G T6670 (just dropped in and worked!)
    3GB RAM -> 8GB RAM
    160G disk -> 128G SSD

Needless to say, it’s a completely different beast to what I originally purchased. Fantastic laptop!

mk1fan

That said, for the sake of £20 quid it’s a small upgrade at a low price, I’d almost certainly do it regardless. If you’ve got an SD card slot in there that you never use, then a smallish fast SD card for Readyboost is another quick win for next to no money.

Thanks, may well just do it. It does have an SD slot that has been used only to download movies from the headcam quicker. I have no idea what you’re refering too so will google later for some reading.

Whether this is even remotely worth your while will depend entirely on the usage of your laptop.

The laptop is a HP G60 Notebook PC with Intel Pentium Dual T3200 processor.

It was used as my personal computer. However, since starting my practice it has become my work computer. The problem is AutoCAD 2013 seems to be pushing the system unless it is the only programme open.

mk1fan

Just used a spare 16gb SD card I had as Readyboost – it’s using 4.09GB of space for it. Thanks for the tip it seems to have made a difference.

ETA Have just bought a 2GB ram stick too. – £18 for a Hynix one to match the existing 2GB stick.

mk1fan

Installed the extra Ram and things are better. AutoCAD is a lot smoother.

Cheers for the advice.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maximum RAM for a Laptop’ is closed to new replies.