Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Mawddach Trail set to close permanently. Also Somerset Levels and Bude
  • stumpy01

MoreCashThanDash

Subscriber
    I was brought up next to the River Welland in Deeping,

We’re in DSJ off the main road running along the river (nr The Bell pub).

eddie11
    Free Member

Those outlines assume no flood defences are in place but worth noting that the current picture isn’t too far removed
    From that if any of the Thames barrier, Hull barrier, pumping fens etc. Ever failed.

CountZero

Wetlands are also first-line defences against further flooding, so the map doesn’t even begin to show the knock-on impact of losing these areas to rising sea levels.

The Somerset Levels are only the way they are due to monks digging drainage ditches and building dykes and sluices, otherwise they’re be salt marsh or a shallow inland sea, depending on tides, so migrating wildlife would be largely unaffected, only humans will be most put out.

jerseychaz

Fortunately, I’ll be long retired by the time my workplace in Lymington is submerged! There’s some very expensive houses that are going to see their values slashed 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Sloshed, not slashed.

johnners
    Free Member

Well, I’ll be gutted to lose access to those classic mtb trails of the Somerset Levels.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Mawddach Trail set to close permanently. Also Somerset Levels and Bude’ is closed to new replies.