Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • mavic xm 719 or xm 819
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will be going tubeless with it but anyone got any experience of the 8 over the 7? Only 10g in the rim but I’m guessing I won’t need nipples in the 8.

real_ben10
    Free Member

819 if you will be running UST tubeless, 719 if you use a conversion kit like Stan’s.

819’s use an insert that you push the nipple through and then screw into the rim. Nipple then connects to spoke in usual way.

real_ben10
    Free Member

Well actually you drop the insert over the spoke first, screw the nipple on and then screw insert into rim!

househusband

The XM719 isn’t tubeless/UST but you could still convert using rimstrips. The XM819 is proper UST but you do still need nipples; they are retained by the threaded eyelets; I’ve built a couple of sets of wheels using XM819’s and it’s a bit if a faff but okay once you get going. I’ve been using ZTR rims for a few years now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers have you run them?

real_ben10
    Free Member

The inserts for the XM819’s are made from one of the softest metals ever and are very easy to damage when tightening up, even with the proper tool.

nickc

819 are a bit of a faff to build (do everything on the wrong side because of the threaded eyelets), and TBH they’re a ‘bit’ heafty, but they’re nice easy UST rims

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Will be going tubeless with it but anyone got any experience of the 8 over the 7? Only 10g in the rim

The 450g claimed weight for the 819 is crooked, it doesn’t include the eyelets. The real, ready-to-build weight is 507g.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Coming from ex721’s I’d call neither heafty. May just got for the simple build on the 719. Looked at ztr rims but non seem to have eyelets and seen some split ones after heavy use.

Northwind

People fixate on the eyelets thing a bit but then, I’ve seen an awful lot of 721s crack around the eyelet. I don’t think Stans give you quite the long-term durability of Mavic but then there’s a decent chance you won’t be using the long term lifespan, if something nasty happens to the wheel before that.

If I wanted something to do the job a 719’s designed for, but tubeless, I’d get a Crest or an Arch tbh, Mavic wouldn’t get a look in. My 819s are fine, perfectly capable, but it’s an ancient design and it shows.

househusband

I’ve found tubeless and UST tyres easier to mount on Flows and Crests than I ever did on 819’s! Building a 29er over the next month or so, and that’ll be having Arch EX’s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll take another look at the ztr in the shop this week. 719 is still o the list as a tougher option. Crest looks a it too light weight for me. Going to run between my heckler and 150mm ht.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘mavic xm 719 or xm 819’ is closed to new replies.