Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Mavic XA elite wheels
  • kimbers

if a NP mega cant handle BPW then CRC are at fault for speccing it

wasnt it named after the megavalanche?

sillysilly
    Free Member

lbizzle123

How heavy are you? Did you case any jumps badly?

Can’t decide if these are going back or not, haven’t fitted yet. They look nice and seem good value but pointless if they can’t handle the odd trip to BPW if well treated by a light rider.

jamesoz

The Mega track doesn’t have a feature every 30 secs, a lot of the new trails at BPW feel to me like a load of features with a bit of trail in between.

Done the Mega 5 times and personally BPW seems harder on my bikes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

As I said before, they wouldn’t be my choice for hard riding… Just from a durability POV.

Xc/trail wheels, and yes a poor spec choice by nukeproof

lbizzle123
    Free Member

I’m around 80kg. Didn’t case any jumps but I was trying to clear the two rock sections before the forest. I’ll find a pic off the vid one of lads made to show where it happened. It was rocky to be fair. I was probably really unlucky and just landed on a sharp rock.

Kryton57

Well I stuck my Crossmax Elites on.  No pinging on the obligatory garden test ride, tyres straight up tubeless.  Together with the quaxar rotors its taken 270g off – about what I expected which was 200g from the wheels and 70 from the rotors.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aSLrd2]2018-09-08_01-56-44[/url]

Its a lot of red but seems to work 🙂

I won’t be able to ride it for a week or so, so I’ll find out if they’ll fall to pieces then.

lbizzle123
    Free Member

Looks sweet mate, I’m sure your wheels will fine 🤘

johnw1984
    Free Member

@Kryton57

The wheels look spot on! I’ve literally just ordered the Spark RC 900 Team and was wondering how heavy the standard wheels are?

Thinking I’ll put my SC Reserve 27s on it and use the Scott wheels to sell on my Hightower.

Kryton57

They are about 1950g iirc.

They are robust being dtswiss internals, I’m keeping them for winter and these for events

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah they are pretty decent, if a little heavy then?  Good to know 🙂

RichT

Just received some xa elites 29er boost. Front came with some boost adapters attached with a little grub screw.

Rear boost adapters were in a little bag and I just pressed them on. Seems to work but is that it? I can’t find instructions in the box or online.

kimbers

I just got some torque adaptors

what size is the grub screw, I don think I have a hex key small enough

RichT

Not sure as they were already installed, but looks tiny.

Alex

I’ve just bought (from Wiggle) the XA Carbons. Huge reduction on list – I assume – due to new wider ones coming out. As i only want to run 2,3/2.4 max on this bike I’m very happy to have picked up the wheels/tyres/tubeless kit for £580.

Replaced a set of heavy DT Rims/Hope Pro4/Maxxis WT wheels. 2lbs lighter! The tyres tho will be coming off when it gets wet. They amusingly slide-y. Wheels are fantastic quality tho, ride really nicely up and down and I like the whole ‘wheel system’ thing where you get valves/sealant/etc.

kimbers

Saw the carbons were cheap, sadly, £580 not cheap enough for me right now !

Alex

Yeah cheap is a comparative term 😉 Just been for a second ride on them – now tubeless – and they do make the same trails more fun up and down. Whether that’s £580 worth of fun would be a more difficult calculation!

My last set of Mavix wheels were some SL’s. Brilliant but fragile and the freehub needed love on a weekly basis. These seem significantly more robust/less silly spoked. We’ll see how they get on through the winter.

trusty

How is the bargain winter bike then Alex? 😉

Alex

Bargain-tastic. I’d go as far as to say ‘cost neutral’. Although not if challenged to provide empirical evidence 😄

kimbers

Got some riding in and xa elites are great so far, seem tough enough & even survived getting a bit of air (followed by my usual cased landing)

They are much lighter & faster pick up & spin up than my old wheels, so bikes feeling much more agile.

Went up tubeless very easy.

Only grumble is that the torque caps are just held on with a rubber seal, rather than grub screw on 15mm caps.  Luckily they are a pukey lime green so easy to find in the mud when they fall off fitting the wheel.

Entonox
    Free Member

Resurrecting as these wheels are cheap again at CRC.
    What’s the consensus? A good buy? Strong enough for a heavy rider riding local trails?

Alex

Not used mine that much but took them on a very rocky ride ride Llangollen and they felt perfectly stiff. Running 2.35s on mine and that’s a good shape on the rims. Probably wouldn’t want to go much bigger as they are only 26mm internal. I’m 77kg so not exactly heavy. I do think there is a weight limit on the carbon ones?

Anyway so far so good, but as I say not too much use through the winter.

Entonox
    Free Member

Thanks. Other option is to get my old Pro2 hubs rebuilt into something 27.5.

chakaping
    Free Member

Amazing wheels at the prices CRC have been selling them, but I try to keep mine for less rocky trails as they can go out of true easier than a lot of wheels.

kimbers

mine are still going fine, Im heavy & clumsy, but still true

ill know for sure after WGES at Afan this weekend

seadog101

Very happy with my Crossmax Elites, 650b boost version. Tyres are definitely summery light, some others are on order, but that’s not to say they aren’t good for the intended purpose.

I haven’t put many miles on them, and I right pretty light too, but they feel very well put together.

Mine came with tubes installed, but with every thing included to go tubeless. Set-up to tubeless was a doddle though, no faffing around. Just needed to pop out the tubes, in with the T/L valves and the Mavic juice, then just pumped them with a track pump. I felt almost dissatisfied that it was all so easy, no heroic tale of hours of messing around.

kimbers

yup they survived rocky afan

loving them now tbh!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Mavic XA elite wheels’ is closed to new replies.