Mavic wheelset riders of the larger bodyweight?

Home Forum Bike Forum Mavic wheelset riders of the larger bodyweight?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mavic wheelset riders of the larger bodyweight?
  • Suggsey

I am considering getting a Mavic UST wheelset to go on either my Orange 5AM or on my On One 456 (as the wheels I currently have on my Orange are a decent UST set and the now ancient Hope Hoops DT 5.2s on the On One are eating front left bearing sets and are getting near to another re-string with a few bent spokes but the rims are tatty corroding round the nipples etc etc).Thing thats stopping me now is having been on the Mavic website they are now quoting recommended maximum weights on all their wheelsets and even on the Deemax its 100kg- its fair to say I am in excess of this by 25% 😀
    So who is riding what Mavic wheelsets at a similar weight with no issues?

Premier Icon stufield
    Subscriber

I’m about 115kgs in gear and ran Crossmax SX wheels for years without hitch, looking at getting a set of Crossmax STs now on 29er.

I’ve only had hand built Hope wheels, Halo Wheels to compare but would always go for mavic if i could afford them

Suggsey

Thanks for that, I know I would be limited on choice too of axle combo without a change of forks as both are set up 20mm with a maxle rear end on the orange.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I’m pretty much bang on 100kgs. Been running mavic EN521’s for a couple of years. No problems.

Premier Icon treklee
    Subscriber

Been running 721’s and I’m around 110kg, again no problems yet.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

About 105 kg in gear and still running the same Crossmax St’s I bought second hand from Dave Froy in Spain., circa 2007 ish.

Staight and true after 5 Ciclo Montana trips, Tour Mont Blanc, 3 Morocco holidays as well as surviving Scottish grinding paste for many seasons..

Needless to say wheel bearings and hubs have been serviced but the wheels have been faultless. Just bought another set of 2009 St’s from CR to build up another bike… We have 5 bikes on Mavics, all tubeless and all great.

Suggsey

Should add I want UST specific rims and cartridge bearings i used to go through a set of cup and cone bearings every ride before the switch to Hope Hubs.
    Ghetto is okay (thats how I run the wheels on the On One) but I swapped the Orange to UST specific due to a nasty off camber deflation caused by ghetto set up at Antur Stiniog that thankfully didnt result in too bad an injury to me or damage to the bike.

Same weight, always happy on F219s they feel nigh on indestructible, but in fairness never bent any Mavic XC wheels (317s, 221s) only ever come unstuck recently from badly built Alex DP17s

peasant

I am running a set of crossmax st (2011 front 2012 rear) weighing in at 110 kg 😯 without kit no problems at afan,lakes aston hill etc way better than my pro2 on mavic en321 rims

Suggsey

Okay cheers, time to start some serious deep googling shopping to find that ultimate bargain.

thegman67

I am 105kg and had a set of Mavic EX823 tubeless rims with Hope hubs with thicker spokes made up from Big Al at Wheelcraft. Been to the Alps and done 3 uplift days with them at Inners and they are still spot on

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

I had a set of 2013 Crossmax ST 29er wheels.

They felt great at first, later developing a creaking and issues with free hub engagement.

They had a rebuild (new spokes and new free hub body) after maybe 1500 miles and shortly after a new axle and another free hub body.

I sold them and am back on Hope hubs and some WTB rims – these are slightly heavier, a little less responsive but much easier to fix not that they have needed it in some long time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mavic wheelset riders of the larger bodyweight?’ is closed to new replies.