• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mavic road wheels…any good?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

As the title really? I’ve always assumed so…not necessarily THE BEST WHEELS IN THE WORLD, but pretty much up there. I’m aware of the nylon bush issue in the freehub body that can wear and cause play, but I know that can be replaced easily and there is an aluminium piece you can replace the nylon one with that fixes this if it turns out to be an issue at all. Any real world experiences? Any reason not to? My mate has a set of cheapish Ksyriums which he rates but aware that is a sample size of one.

I’m after a good performing all rounder set of wheels – a bit aero, not too heavy, but above all durable. Doesn’t seem to be much better out there for the price – especially since the wheelset i’m looking at is currently reduced a couple or so hundred quid. Not looking for budget wheels, but then again not looking to go daft for a set of boutique wheels. Currently looking at the cosmic carbon pro SL disc UST, which can be had for a smidge over a grand (and can easily be funded on interest free credit thanks to a reduction in my home insurance – so practically free!!)

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi

Had the Aksium disc wheelset for my commuter/winter bike. Front wheel was fine no issues. The rear would not stay in true and was replaced by Mavic under warranty. The replacement went the same way so has now been demoted to my turbo wheel and the front was sold.

Now use Prime Peleton wheelset, they are lighter. Have had issues with breaking spokes in the back wheel. CRC did not want to entertain any warranty so got the LBC to re lace the non drive side and they have fine since then.

Would probably pay a bit extra and get some Hunt wheels the next time.

Regards

globalti
    Free Member

I love my old Mavic Ksyrium SLs, they are light, incredibly strong and run as smoothly now as ever. I maintain the freehub so it’s not showing much sign of wear. My problem is that the rear rim wore out and I couldn’t get another so I managed to source from France an Elite rim, which is the same but black and silver and I’m about to embark on a rebuild using new spokes as the old ones are all rusted up.

submarined
    Free Member

My only experience is of Aksium discs, Which appear to both heavy and bombproof.

jimdubleyou

My only experience is of Aksium discs, Which appear to both heavy and bombproof.

I killed a rear wheel, one of the spokes ripped out of the hub.

Got it replaced under warranty and the replacement has been fine.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Have some Aksium Race, rim brakes, no issues at all

13thfloormonk

The Cosmics with the alloy brake track always seemed a good deal.

What sort of bearing system do they use? Had assumed cartridge but sure I’ve seen mention of adjustment, which makes me think cup and cone a la Fulcrum/Campag/Shimano

w00dster

Had the Krysiums (expensive ones,
    Possibly elites). Had them for about 6 years with only free hub service needed. Only summer miles, but still a lot of miles.
    Mine were pretty light at the time, good braking performance, so can’t really fault them.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks all. They won’t be commuting wheels so won’t see heavy duty. I don’t think they’re cup and cone bearings. In the reviews i’ve Seen ( not that many) son’t Seem to raise the bearings as an issue or problem. I’ll have a think for a few days and might give them a go. Ta for the replies.

mashr

Currently looking at the cosmic carbon pro SL disc UST, which can be had for a smidge over a grand

Definitely the SLs? That’s a huge wedge (£800+) off if that’s the case! I’ve had them for around a year now and they’ve been nice so far!

The non-SL version (retails for around £1,300) would likely be very nice too if it turns out it’s them

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Think so..reduced from almost £1700 to £1200 (£200 is a bit of a stretch for a smidge I guess). Maybe they’re last years model. There’s only £100 off the non-SL’s!

mashr

Fair enough! From what I can see the only change from 2018 to 2019 is that the big (pretty ugly telly) graphics have gone. Going by mine there’s a good chance they’ll gradually turn into 2019s anyway 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Ksyrium Pro disc and Allroads (2017, I think). Superb, I think they’ll last me the rest of my life! One of the Pros mysteriously lost the ability to be run tubeless, but some rim tape fixed that. I think the graphics are pretty sexy too. Though the hubs on the Allroads are a bit of a duff shade of brown.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

CRC/Wiggle have some 2017 Cosmic Pro Carbon Disc wheels for about £500 last week.

Not sold as a pair, front and rear sold separately. Photos on the site are wrong, front wheel shows a 2016 Cosmic Carbon with an ally break track, rear shows a 2018 carbon Disc.

Took a punt and they are a matching pair.

Rear

Front

dickie
    Free Member

What about cheaper alternatives of a similar weight & quality?
    Reynolds AR41 £1100
    Hope RD40 £1063

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I am also considering the Hope’s as I like a bit of Hope bling, but couldn’t find out much about the rim. Its not manufactured by them so assume its a standard ‘off the shelf’ rim. I’m sure they’re sturdy though and probably made in the same factory as carbon rims fitted to far more expensive and boutique wheels.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have been using Mavic wheels since 1988, need I say more. They have never let me down.

bob_summers

I’ve got them at both ends of the scale, Ksyriums and CCUs. Inexplicably, they share the same (crap) freehub, but do roughly what I bought them for and are cheap to keep rolling.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bob, have you ever used the free hub kit that replaces the nylon ring bush on the freehub with an alloy one to address the freehub play problem?

singletrackmind

I have a spare brand new mavic freehub somehwere I somehow ended up with 2 from JE James
    If anyone wants it open to offers
    Otherwise, apart from a screaming freehub bearing , that caused some sort of wind up in the chain and casette making the driveline overun been pretty good. Once the scream commenced the bike asically became a fixe meaning fast decents meant pedaling fast , braking and steering
    Got it wrong and jammed up my fromt mech once and had to do 40 odd miles home with just the inner ring on the compact ( Krysium )

PrinceJohn

I had a set of Askium wheels – the wheels themselves were fine, but the tyres were shite.

The had very little grip & washed out on me on a corner that left me with my femur in 2 pieces.

mashr

Mavic tyres are always ‘interesting’. The old Yksion (sp?) seemed to have a habit of being proper ropey, the new ones on the Cosmic Pros seem good, but mine started cracking across the tread due to “too much O-zone”*. Think I’ll be going elsewhere for their replacements

*I shit you not, thats what they blamed and wouldn’t warranty them

globalti
    Free Member

Interested in that freehub, PM sent.

bluebird
    Free Member

Maybe they’re last years model.

I think last years were 40mm, this years are 45mm. This years are a smidge lighter too – 1515 x 1570g

mashr

Good spot – interesting that the rim brakes are still 40mm but the discs are deeper

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mavic road wheels…any good?’ is closed to new replies.