Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • MAvic release a new rim, finally
  • honourablegeorge

EN821 – wider than an 819, UST, looks strong, looks good.

http://www.mavic.com/rims-mountainbike-en-821-disc#.UkmQbYbVDdU

chakaping
    Free Member

You missed the best bit.

“Available in 26/29”.

Sorry 27.5 suckers.

Northwind

Ooh nice. I guess it needs Mavic silyl nipples like the 819 so the weight will be higher than quoted?

honourablegeorge

Not many details, really. Nice to see them back in the rim game, though. Give Stan somethign to think about.

455g for an Enduro rim is right between Flow and Arch – how wide is the Flow?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Milled, too.

Nice. I’d rather have Mavic than Stans, special nips or not.

Northwind

ScottChegg – Member

I’d rather have Mavic than Stans, special nips or not.

All other things being equal I would too but with the 819s it adds about 60g so it’s a pretty big difference (819s end up being heavier than a Flow Ex IIRC despite the claimed weight being much less)

But yeah, depending on final weight, might be what I put on the big bike next

honourablegeorge

Is the difference that big, when you take into account the weight of the standard nipples?

scotroutes

Looks like it replaces the TN719 too (no TN models for 2014) or have the TNs just been renamed XMs now that range covers 26″ and 29″?

winch
    Free Member

how wide is the Flow?

EX? 25.5mm internal.

ninfan
    Free Member

821 does look very like the SX extrusion, in which case it should be good.

As for replacing the TN prefix and calling them the same thing – I can’t see that causing many order/delivery errors at all 😉

kimbers

bit of a fail with no 650b there

Im willing to be there will be a mid sized rim out by the summer, in the meantime stans will be happy

scruff
    Free Member

Is it actually 21mm internal? I’ve always thought Mavic were bestists and most dent resistant but I still cant fault my old Flows.

ratherbeintobago

“Available in 26/29”.

Didn’t know they made 29″ 819s, either. Given my lack of skill, I’d probably rather have Fore-drilld Mavic rims than Stan’s…

nosedive
    Free Member

it would be nice if these were on an option on nice cheap factory built hope hoops

cheap compared to having them handbuilt I mean, obviously

honourablegeorge

scruff – Member
    Is it actually 21mm internal? I’ve always thought Mavic were bestists and most dent resistant but I still cant fault my old Flows.

Yeah, Mavic have internal width as last 2 digits, with 1, 3, 5 or 7 as the position in the range, then 8 being top of the line and UST.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Is the difference that big, when you take into account the weight of the standard nipples?

You need to use nipples with the Mavics as well. Basically you’ve got the rim, then the insert/ferrule thing, then the standard nipple. Not sure if this new one is the same, they might have figured out something more like the wheelsets.

Saccades
    Free Member

it would be nice if these were on an option on nice cheap factory built hope hoops

I was told by Hope that their equipment couldn’t take the xm819 rims so I doubt these xm821s will either tbh.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I like the look of these, but they’re only 32H…

I_Ache
    Free Member

140g lighter than the 721! Sod the chinese carbon rims I think I have found my rim.

As for people comparing it to the weight of a flow, the 821 is proper UST and wont need rim strips so that will go some way to regaining the weight of the nips.

brakes
    Free Member

I really don’t understand the Mavic system of naming rims, particularly as they keep changing them!

br
    Free Member

As for people comparing it to the weight of a flow, the 821 is proper UST and wont need rim strips so that will go some way to regaining the weight of the nips.

The Flow doesn’t need rimstrips, just a length of yellow tape. And 21mm is really a Crest, so way heavier.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d wager that these are considerably stronger than a crest…….
    Still too narrow though.

Northwind

I_Ache – Member

Yellow tape weighs, give or take, 0 grams.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘MAvic release a new rim, finally’ is closed to new replies.