Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mavic rear hub noisy. Advice needed please…
  • grtdkad

As per the title really.
    I have a Crossmax XL rear wheel and have noticed on the last couple of shortish rides that the rear hub wails like a swarm of angry cellos when freewheeling.
    Just had a new set of rear bearings installed last month by a reputable LBS.
    Any thoughts please?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWaMPG8HDYs[/video]

Lemon Squeezy!

Stu_N

There’s a bushing inside the freehub that wears slightly over time and eventually starts making the noise. You can either live with it, give it some lube (presumably shown by the video above) or replace the freehub.

Live with it is free, lube buys you a bit of quiet time (a few hundred miles on my experience), replace is about £40 for the freehub plus either DIY time or LBS labour.

I got it serviced once and then replaced.

grtdkad

Thanks both. So I guess the question is, should this be happening just one month after it has been serviced?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Not if it’s been serviced properly.
    Has the freehub body been changed?
    it can get noisy very quickly if the M10 road type FHB (M40592) has been fitted by mistake. You can ID it visually by looking for 2 parallel lines around the body.
    It’s spaced for hubs with steel axles and will sit more outboard accelerating the wear in the outer bearing allowing it to oscillate.
    The correct part is the M40580 and is identified by a single line around the body perpendicular to the splines.

lightningbolt
    Free Member

replace the freehub body and clean the pawls and springs. or you can buy the replaceable freehub bush off ebay if you don’t want to replace the whole freehub body……worked for me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STD-Mavic-Crossmax-Freehub-BUSHING-Freewheel-Cassette-/250661501006?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5c96f84e#ht_919wt_1141

grtdkad

Yup. Free hub was replaced, seem to remember it was about £65 all-in for replacement parts (£35)?and true-ing the wheel.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Take it back and get them to replace it with the correct part.
    If the wrong FHB has been fitted, your smallest sprocket on the cassette will sit really close to the frame. There should be a couple of mm gap at least, allowing you to see the lockring when the chain is on that sprocket.
    HTH.

grtdkad

Thanks skyline!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

No problem buddy, let me know how you get on, as I’ve acquired knowledge of the sale of goods act from a similar problem with a car, that you can use to get the desired results if you need it.

BTW I’m a qualified Mavic Technician if they as where the info came from.

grtdkad

New pawls fitted today. Freehub body and bush looked good.
    Seems to have done the job, big ride later to test 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mavic rear hub noisy. Advice needed please…’ is closed to new replies.