Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mavic Crossrides…better than what I already have?
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

I am trying to sell my bike but to be honest I think the wheels that are on it are letting it down so was thinking of upgrading them.

I currently have fitted a set of wheels from an 09 enduro expert (dt rear hub,spesh front and dt rims.)

I was looking on the merlin site earlier and noticed they have a set of 2012 crossrides for £119 which will fit my bike and fork(15mm front)

Do you think it is worth doing or not? Are the crossrides any good?

cheers

Steve

renton
    Free Member

Anyone ??

Pieface

I bought a set for about 200 pounds and are happy with them. Not as nice as my hope except pros with stand arches though

greeble
    Free Member

they don’t call the rims dt swiss cheese for nothing.

Crossrides are the base wheel build from mavic.
    Some people slate them others love them.
    I personally rate them. Though I did ditch the hub and spokes and am currently running them on hope sp-xc3 hubs and to be honest the rims taken everything i’ve thrown at them. a great wheel in its current guise.

breadcrumb

Unless the wheels are mullered I really wouldn’t bother.

Bregante

There is absolutely no way I’d be spending money on mediocre wheels to go on a bike that I’d be better off breaking up and selling separately in the first place.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

I’ve a crossride rear (now on mrs Orange’s bike) and it is ok. In my opinion its not really an upgrade on what she had from a weight perspective spesh rear hub on alex rim, they have a proprietary spoke which are the negatives however they do have cartridge bearings which the spesh hub didn’t so I consider that a positive.

I guess it all depends what the bike is if it XC biased then they may help it sell they certainly look good. Personally if it is a mid spec XC/trail bike then may be a step up form a crossride or hope hoops would be more of a pull (granted more expensive).

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I still have a set of crossrides from 08 !! … still true and ride great … id recommend them 🙂

Bregante

Is it just me?

The OP intends to spend £120 on making his bike more saleable?

renton
    Free Member

It does come across like that doesnt it Bregante….

Steve77
    Free Member

It’s not just you. There’s no way he’ll make the bike £120 more valuable by doing it

renton
    Free Member

So thats my answer then NO.

Steve77 Im not trying to make my bike £120 more valuable??

I was hoping that by fitting a nicer set of wheels for around £120 it would make it more appealing at its current price.

Then i can always sell the set of wheels I take off to.

Jeez, the crap you lot dish out on this site is getting tiring !!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just drop the price by £60ish and save yourself the hassle of buying new wheels, it still not selling and when it does you’ll be trying to recoup some of the £120. Postage costs etc.

matther01
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t bother TBH mate. Still no guarantee it would sell and the weight would put a buyer like me off. Think they’re 2000gm.

As mentioned earlier, probably better to break up and sell individually.

Best of luck!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Knock £120 off the bike and sell it on, stick it on eBay. Speculate to accumulate doesn’t work in this instance.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Assuming its this bike then I think you’re maybe asking too much, it would need to pretty special to make me want to splash around £1500 on a second hand bike.

greeble
    Free Member

sorry but that bike is over priced

renton
    Free Member

greeble I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion?
    Last year I sold a 2010 stumpjumper elite with lower spec than this for nearly the same price I have this up for, I also sold a pitch comp which was a 2011 model in the same ssort of spec for more money.

I’ve watched quite a few go on eBay for around the same price in slightly lower spec but also to be fair a few have gone for under my price to.

Bearing in mind my price is posted ono.

Thanks

Steve

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TBH It’s a spec thats too nice in places and a not that in others. DH bars (new?), 15mm axle 32’s (RL is the OEM one?) and a triple chain set on a stumpy. Are the current wheels rebuilds or the custom spec (oem) ones? Most people looking second hand are thinking what do I need to replace. It wont change if you put cross max’s on.

Problem with specialized is they sold a lot of them, hence there are generally plenty to choose from.

You seem to have got through a lot of Specialized in the last couple of years. The fact that it’s a warranty replacement would also put me off. What failed on the last one is it typical of the model – as there is no warranty for the second user. There have been some bikes recently with a serial fail problem.

Also as said above things either don’t sell because the right people don’t see it or the price is wrong.

I’d offer a grand probably (not looking to buy though)

Split for parts if you want it shifted.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You need to look at what’s available new. You can pick up new Stumpys, not the same spec, but with a warranty for £240 more

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-stumpjumper-fsr-comp

funkybaj
    Free Member

As above, the 2012 model has a 142mm rear end and tapered head tube.

renton
    Free Member

Mikewsmith.

Wheels are oem specialized ones.

The previous frame was replaced because of a common problem on the 2010 elite which was the lacquer peeling off.

I don’t think I have ever come across a stumpjumper in this model that had failed?

renton
    Free Member

I agree with what you are saying about the 2012 bike but that still has a q/r fork and standard post. Most people will wAnt to put a bolt through fork onto it which will cost more as you will need a new front wheel too!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2013 Carbon Stumpjumper Comp

Brand new 5 year warranty £3,000.

Taking the 50% rule that makes that worth £1500 at the end of the year.

You have added a joplin and some bars/stem to a stock bike (maybe some brakes that are dirt cheap on offer all over the place) the rest is Specialized OEM gear.

Not trying to knock the bike just it’s probably overpriced.

renton
    Free Member

Thats a 29’er though….everyone knows 26 inch wheels are best :mrgreen:

Nah in all seriousness I think I am better off keeping it and riding the damm thing, hell I might even see what this double and bash malarky is all about !!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossrides…better than what I already have?’ is closed to new replies.