Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax tyres… reviews? real world experiences?
  • alpin
    Free Member

toying with the idea of running these now that my HRIIs are getting on a bit (well, the rear at least, but need that factory look, :wink:…. front will be moved to other bike).

have looked for reviews, but the majority seen to be after the product launch. anyone have long term experience with these?

in addition to that, worth running the Charge on the back, too? i remmeber seeing some of the “Enduro (TM)” riders doing so, despite there being a specific rear tyre, the Roam, for the rear.

any words welcome…

brokenbanjo

Just get some conti protection trail kings. Beasts of tyres and seem to handle anything that’s thrown at them!

Brake-neck
    Free Member

And prize for the shortest time to deviate from what the OP wants to know goes to………..

duir
    Free Member

Just get some conti protection trail kings. Beasts of tyres and seem to handle anything that’s thrown at them!

apart from anything remotely rough or rocky. Lasted 1 Lakeland descent for me before tearing and the same for several others I know. Probably brilliant at trail centers though.

Heard some very good things about the charge and top racers seem to love them. Apparently they are trying out a new charge with stronger side walls so that could be a great rear tyre for the rough stuff.

alpin
    Free Member

cheers Banjo, but no Contis for me, thanks… destroyed several Rubber Queens and Mountain Kings within the space of a year (wasn’t upset as i got 5 pairs for free). great tyres, but too fragile for where i ride (Bavarian Alps/Tirol). have a set of Kaisers that i’m yet to rag properly. plenty thick enough, but they weigh over a kilo each!

thicker sidealls on the Mavics can’t be a bad thing. any idea as to when they might be out?

suppose with winter coming up Charge front and rear might not be a bad thing…

tmb467
    Free Member

Great tyre – loads of grip and I’ve been running it up front at about 20psi and they’re reasonably ok rolling for a heavy dual ply tyre

Did Ard Rock and a few rocky Peaks rides with it no problems – not cheap but strong and reliable. Went up tubeless really easy. Not tried it on the back tho – had the Roam but it was like soap on anything damp so I’ve gone HR2 instead

philbert31
    Free Member

The front tyre is great, tough as old boots, grips like a fat kid holding a chocolate bar, not really draggy as such. Definitely will be replaced by the same. The rear tyre is great in the dry, but gets found out in the damp.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

duir – Member

apart from anything remotely rough or rocky. Lasted 1 Lakeland descent for me before tearing and the same for several others I know. Probably brilliant at trail centers though.

Heard some very good things about the charge and top racers seem to love them. Apparently they are trying out a new charge with stronger side walls so that could be a great rear tyre for the rough stuff.

and when they deform… Had two deform on me this year, one so bad the tyre hit the frame. It’s a known issue on Conti’s…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax tyres… reviews? real world experiences?’ is closed to new replies.