Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mavic Aksium buzzing freehub
  • molgrips
    Free Member

You know the sound that you get when a loose bearing moves too fast and it starts to rattle around the spindle? That, when freewheeling above about 25mph. Anyone else had it?

Obv a new freehub would fix it but I think the rear bearing is a plastic sleeve and develops play. So a bit of lube in it should extend the life? Anyone got experience of these?

Just sprayed some grease in and I can’t get it to make the noise again, on my street at least.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is this the well known mavic death squeal? If so, strip down and regrease.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

does Your free hub have vertical play? I.e. can you wobble it? If so I believe some Mavic hubs have a plastic spacer that can wear. Cheap and easy to replace if it is and I think you might be able to get alloy replacements.

molgrips
    Free Member

Very slight vertical play yes.

Possibly the well known ‘death squeal’ I’m not sure. I guess it’s worth a strip in that case.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you just pull the end cap off to disassemble?

BadlyWiredDog

Assuming it’s the classic Mavic freehub design, you can buy replacement bushings – and oversized ones to cater for advanced wear – but only from the States, see Hub Doctor and similar on eBay. Greasing it might quieten it down for a bit, but eventually you’ll need to fit a new freehub at around 35 quid.

Edit: a tenner with free shipping from the US on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STD-Mavic-Crossmax-Freehub-BUSHING-Freewheel-Cassette-plastic-hub-bearing-wheel/250661501006?hash=item3a5c96f84e:g:Ul4AAMXQaBtQ9c7C

coatesy
    Free Member

Don’t just pull it off, it needs to be rotated at the same time to compress the pawls and stop them catching/damaging the bushing.

singletrackmind

‘Google + Images ‘

crikey
    Free Member

Mavic freehubs occasionally need a service; you undo, slide it off, clean it then add some light oil and reassemble; look it up…

stevious

Mavic freehub sercive:

IN my experience, once the howl of doom had started then the bushings were gone and it was new freehub time anyway. Hope you have better luck with yours.

singletrackmind

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^snap^^^^^^^^^^^
    and i have a bnib one looking for a new home

molgrips
    Free Member

It only needs to do a couple of rides including tomorrow AM, I’ll order another one asap now I know what’s going on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well it was ok today for 3 wet hours after a bit of spray grease.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Aksium buzzing freehub’ is closed to new replies.