• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maverick Speedball/Joplin Creeping Down ~ DIY Job?
  • P20

I’ve fitted a Maverick Speedball seatpost to wor lasses bike and its creeping down. It returns to full height with the lever. Any ideas? Its pressure is fine, but can you service the oil side of things or is it a send it away job?

crftom
    Free Member

Make sure there’s no dirt or debris under the lever/valve area

P20

Cheers i’ll have a look. Should have mentioned its a remote one

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hopefully its something simple.

First try and cycle it up and down a good few times when installed on the bike (you’ve probablly done that).
    Second check the cable tension isnt too tight (opening the internal valve just a smidge).
    Third clean out under the lever on the post head (the lever where the cable attaches). Gunk can accumulate there are cause the valve to partially open. WD40 with a straw on the can is handy for this.

If its none of those – and wont stay at max height but will stay at a partially lower height – it needs oil which is easyish. If it wont stay at any height – thats a “challenge” (the internal valve may be failing).

mattbee

On my wife’s bike the saddle was flexing slightly and hitting the lever on the seatpost, causing it to drop a bit especially when she hit bumps in the saddle. I replaced the cable clamp bolt with a lower profile one.

P20

The saddle is slotted, so it won’t be catching the lockout. I’ll have a look at cleaning the mechanism. Any link to a walk through for the oil change/top up?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

p20 – I’ll dig out a link to the strip down instructions that include the oil fill. Top tip – dont do it indoors. Oil stains on the ceiling never really get covered up by paint 😳

Hopefully you wont need it though.

#Edit: here’s the link – http://www.suzwuppertal.com/download/FB/Joplin_1.pdf

I would still do the above checks first though- esp checking if something is moving the lever and checking if its rock solid when sitting / riding it when partially lowered.

P20

😀
    Brilliant cheers

P20

Does anyone know if the damper is the same on the remote and lever versions? Cheers

gary

You can buy the remote kit to add to a lever version so I imagine they are exactly the same. It just changes the way the post is released.

P20

Good point. Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maverick Speedball/Joplin Creeping Down ~ DIY Job?’ is closed to new replies.