Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mattress topper – half King Size?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am struggling at the moment with an arthritic hip, which can wake me up in the night sleeping on our fairly firm newish, expensive King size mattress

So solution, but a single mattress topper, apart from the fact a single bed is bigger than half a king.

I believe half a king is known as Twin XL, which when you Google brings up lots of American results and Amazon but nothing else.

Am I searching the wrong thing or is it not possible to get a half king mattress topper in the UK?

Thanks

mattyfez

Depends what you mean by matress topper, I’ve got a quitled sheet type thing to prolong the life of a knackered matress… maybe you have the wrong matress?

I’m curuoius as I’m looking at buying a new matress soon, and in the words of Rhod Gilbert, “it’s a **** nightmare”.

ElShalimo

Have a look at custom memory foam mattresses made to measure.

E.g. Duvalay make them for beds, caravans or boats

Esme
    Free Member

Buy a thin kingsize foam topper, and cut it in half. Then use both pieces as a thick topper.

IHN

A king-size bed is 5′ wide, half of that is a ‘small-single’, 2’6″ (standard single is 3′)

Anyway, if you can’t find exactly the size you need, just buy a single and cut it down, it’s only foam.

ElShalimo

A single is 6’3″ long so is a double… but king size is 6’6″ long

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the input so far, I was hoping not to get memory foam as it is much hotter

IHN – thanks obviously in UK reffered to a small single !

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just a side note if you don’t already pillow between legs certainly helps reduce discomfort.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just a side note if you don’t already pillow between legs certainly helps reduce discomfort.

Thanks may have to try that, but I dont tend to stay in one position for long !

It looks like memory foam is the easy answer, but heat puts me off them.

Various places will do made to measure wool toppers, but do not quote prices on their website so assuming ££££

sharkbait
    Free Member

We took our unused king size topper to daughter #3 uni accomodation the other day…. Turns out her bed is a double and not a king size as advertised.
    5 mins with some sharpish scissors had it cut down to size – it’s easy.

theotherjonv

Thanks may have to try that, but I dont tend to stay in one position for long !

How much of that is due to the discomfort, worth a try because if discomfort goes you may stay in one position much longer.

PiknMix
    Free Member

but heat puts me off them.

Im a very hot sleeper and had the same concern. I went for a Panda topper and I honestly haven’t noticed any heat issues with it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bit of an update

I ended up buying this King Size slab of memory foam from Amazon for £40

Deal: Southern Foam Memory Mattress Topper, 2 Inch, UK King Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LTQ46UE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_9KN9Q05A6M28VHENBGNZ?psc=1

It’s brilliant! In fact so much so Mrs FD wants to keep it on the bed and not cut it down

We are also going to get one for our sons bed. This stuff is a genuine bargain compared to the branded stuff out there

13thfloormonk

Hmm, good shout! I need to fix my sleeping but don’t know if I need to go for a softer or firmer mattress, opinion seems to differ as to which is better for back pain.

£40 to stick it on the guest bed and try it out couldn’t hurt…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mattress topper – half King Size?’ is closed to new replies.