Matt Carroll's 'Escape Routes'… anyone else tired of smashing themselves?

Home Forum Bike Forum Matt Carroll's 'Escape Routes'… anyone else tired of smashing themselves?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Matt Carroll's 'Escape Routes'… anyone else tired of smashing themselves?
  • Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I mis-read this as Matt Cardle!!

iDave

sounds like he had an idea for a book before he decided to change his outlook on cycling?

Ecky-Thump

Each to their own I suppose.

rocket

Sounds **** tbh, and what iDave said.

no_eyed_deer

Yep. I had a feeling things would pan out this way. Think I should try talking to some actual real live people in the real world instead of this borderline aspergic outlet for social interaction! Hmmm… Perhaps a lesson to be learnt there. πŸ™‚

crackhead

I pootle in all walks of life,very happy to do so.Don’t feel the need to put the hurt on anybody or have a need to measure myself against others…I do ride on my own a lot,which is perhaps quite significant!

no_eyed_deer

I heard this guy on Radio 4 a few weeks back. Then he popped up on On-One:

On-One linky to Matt Carroll’s Escape Routes

Something behind the motivation for his changed outlook rang slightly true. Tired of ‘pummelling himself into the ground’ and following his training partner’s back wheel, he’s taken a different approach to cycling, exemplified by his book.

15 mile road rides to be taken all day on, featuring cake and beer.

I’m often torn between the pointless need/want to smash myself to pieces and a hankering to pootle and just take it easy. Yet the former pretty much always wins out.

So hey, anyone else out there feel something along similar lines..?
    (Or is that getting too sharey-sharey, group huggy for STW? πŸ˜‰ )

thomthumb

sounds like the attitude from someone who can’t win a race.

MrK mkII

ahahaha love all these responses! i love gentle rides. i remember someone asking about the edinburgh-glasgow canal route and most responses went along the lines of “it’s rubbish, just no technical challenging bits, blah blah blah, it’s hardly a super-greulling mountain adventure”.

TandemJeremy

I do a fair amount of “just pootleing along” cycling. Its great. I have no need to be all macho about it. Nowt better than a pootle on a sunny day thru the highlands.

bigyinn

Indeed, sometimes its nice to just potter about, visit old routes or explore an area with no set plan at a leisurely pace.
    Other times its good to put in a big hard ride. Whatever mood takes you really.

theflatboy

does one ever get tired of smashing oneself?

no_eyed_deer

Sometimes one does get tired of smashing oneself, a bit like now (for me) maybe. Maybe I’m just feeling a bit tired atm.

My pootling bike (note the pedals):

edlong

I’ve tried but I just don’t seem to be able to do it – I set out with the intention of having a nice leisurely ride, lots of break stops etc., but once the wheels start turning, I just seem to push a little harder, don’t feel like breaking the flow with stops and before I know it I’ve pushed myself round what I thought was going to be a leisurely half day in the saddle in a couple of hours and I’m shattered.

It’s f***ing great

Dancake

I really fancy a night pootle – Start at Stupid oclock and Watch the Sun come up at some-beacon-or-other.

during daylight hours I rarely get more than 2 consecutive hours of bike time so it is usually go out, thrash as many local trails as I can then go home

daznal

Apparantly smashing ones self is now worth Β£35 a pop

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

He’s not wearing a crash helmet πŸ™„

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I’m taking myself for 50 mile pootle on Saturday.
    Obviously I’ll be smashing it on Sunday though.

Some of my fave rides are when I’m just pottering about and also when I’m making my legs bleed. πŸ™‚

Which one’s best??

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

I’m often torn between the pointless need/want to smash myself to pieces and a hankering to pootle and just take it easy

could just do both. I do nad both are equally good in different ways.

N_E_D are those unfeasably large mushrooms you have tied to the back of your bike?

Sue_W

Another subscriber to the ‘pootler’ approach to riding. My favourite rides are usually 20 – 50 mile road rides, or ‘low tech’ mtb rides – both of which take time to admire the scenery / watch birds / inpect flowers, fungi, gardens etc. I love having a blast when riding, but overall I’m more of a ‘pootler’ πŸ™‚

The only thing I find is that it’s hard to find others to ride with. I don’t fall into to the ‘beginners’ ride category, but most clubs either seem to focus on the ‘knarly’ (if mountain biking), or race / training (if road riding).

Anyone fancy getting together for a pootlers ride πŸ™‚

TandemJeremy

Its all good – I enjoy working hard to ride aoroud Glentress – I enjoy a pootle round the scenery. Its all riding bikes and having fun

sue – thought of contacting the roughstuff fellowship folk? I think you are a bit of a distance from us to meet up for a pootle

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

It’s the philosophy of the pootles. All about the fun and friendliness.

I find the idea of a sunrise pootle intriguing though I must say……

no_eyed_deer

Thems is parasol mushrooms, proper tasty too! πŸ™‚

I’d like to do both types of riding, but just can’t seem to avoid pushing it when out on my own – which is pretty much most of the time to be honest.

Perhaps I need to hook up with fellow-pootlers πŸ™‚

Otherwise, the shopping bike’s probably the only way I’ve found around this little problem.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Matt Carroll's 'Escape Routes'… anyone else tired of smashing themselves?’ is closed to new replies.