Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Maths test, courtesy of Premier Inn
  • doris5000

Read and complete the following sentence:

Semi-Flex rate room bookings may be cancelled before midnight UK time three days prior to the original arrival date, (e.g. For a stay arriving on Saturday, you can cancel until….

northernmatt

Tuesday midnight

thols2
    Free Member

Tuesday midnight

This.

thisisnotaspoon

Wednesday?

Friday would be midnight the day prior
    2 days prior is Thursday
    3 Days prior is Wednesday?

But then we’re always having arguments in our house as “next Saturday” is clearly in 3 days time, the next Saturday. But my OH will argue it’s 10 days off (which is clearly Saturday next week).

dissonance

Think its more a when is midnight question (is midnight tuesday in a few hours or has it been and gone?) and also fencepost question.
    I would go with them defining it as the start of the day and so the last time being:
    Tuesday 23:59:59

slowoldman

Your OH is right, 3 days away is THIS Saturday, 10 days away is NEXT Saturday. But hey, let’s not argue, it’s probably a regional thing like scones and bread rolls.

scuttler

2359 (and 59s) Tuesday

1 day prior to arrival = Fri
    3 days prior to arrival = Wed
    Midnight (0000) is the start of the new day, so before midnight is the end of Tuesday

scotroutes

3 days away is THIS Saturday, 10 days away is NEXT Saturday.

Is the correct answer

IdleJon

Is the correct answer

+ another!

the00
    Free Member

Is the correct answer

yep, that’s my understanding too

nickc

Tuesday midnight would be my answer.

kcal

they are both ‘next’ Saturday (to my ears).

Aidy
    Free Member

Wednesday midnight, but ambiguous as to whether that’s towards 00:01 or 23:59.

doris5000

Yep, as most have said, the correct answer is 23:59 on Tuesday. Which I was a bit confused at, because 72 hours before a Saturday arrival puts you at Wednesday. But anyway.

This is correct. Unless you’re MrsDoris.

cp

Tuesday midnight would be my assumption based on three full days.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is the correct answer

I agree (as in that is how I have always understood it), although it does not make sense as next Saturday should be the next one coming up (even if it is Friday evening the next Saturday is, well, the next one).

And how many of us would ever think that next week isn’t *next* week, but the next one after that one?

molgrips

Stuff like this can get remarkably complicated. I once had to write code to implement legislation that said that something had to be submitted within one calendar month or it’d fine you. That wasn’t very easy to do arithmetically, and when I came up with a method then a lot of arguing ensued.

tjagain

I disagree – ( surprised?) 3 days away is next saturday. 10 days is the saturday after

Aidy
    Free Member

And how many of us would ever think that next week isn’t *next* week, but the next one after that one?

Yeah, but if today is Saturday, then next Saturday is 7 days away.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, but if today is Saturday, then next Saturday is 7 days away.

No – that would just be ‘Saturday’ 😉

doris5000

Maybe that’s where it stems from? Aligning it with the week? For me, ‘next week’ begins on Monday, and anything in that week is ‘next Tuesday’ or ‘next Saturday’ etc. Anything before that is ‘this week’ and therefore the days are ‘this Friday’ or ‘this Sunday’.

Anything more distant than ‘next Sunday’ is ‘a week on Tuesday’ or ‘two weeks tomorrow’.

stumpy01

The Tuesday midnight/Wed morning border.

Although…..is the hotel on a conveyor?

Speeder

The upcoming Saturday is just “Saturday”. The “this” is surplus but sometimes needs to be used in case the other party is those hard of thinking types that think that “next Saturday” is “this Saturday”.

Even when the “this/next” is used you can guarantee the “do you mean . . . ?” question comes up.

;O)

welshfarmer

Coming Saturday is next Saturday, the one after is Saturday week.

jimr80
    Free Member

Wednesday 2pm , working on the theory you can get into your room until 2pm Saturday.

lovewookie

Coming Saturday is next Saturday, the one after is Saturday week.

I tend to say this coming saturday, or saturday. however if it’s the saturday the following week, it’s a week next saturday, just to confuse things.

zilog6128

in case the other party is those hard of thinking types that think that “next Saturday” is “this Saturday”.

this is how I use it and I believe the generally accepted way, however it must be idiomatic because it doesn’t actually make sense – the next Saturday surely must be the one that occurs next?

crazy-legs

Tuesday midnight

Tuesday 11.59pm. Once it becomes midnight, it’s Wednesday so no longer 3 full days prior.

This came up in the Amazon version of Jack Reacher as part of the murder mystery / time of death.

Cougar

Semi-Flex rate room bookings may be cancelled before midnight UK time three days prior to the original arrival date, (e.g. For a stay arriving on Saturday, you can cancel until….

Consider, “… may be cancelled before midnight UK time one day prior to the original arrival date”

The midnight between Friday night and Saturday morning is clearly not ‘one day prior’ to the Saturday, it’s one second prior, so this must mean the midnight between Thursday and Friday. Now extrapolate back from there, you’ve got the midnight at Tuesday night / Wednesday morning.

doris5000

The midnight between Friday night and Saturday morning is clearly not ‘one day prior’ to the Saturday, it’s one second prior,

Ah, but Friday is still one day prior to Saturday! 😆

however if it’s the saturday the following week, it’s a week next saturday, just to confuse things.

now that’s just a recipe for chaos. A week next Saturday is nearly 3 weeks away!

molgrips

the next Saturday surely must be the one that occurs next?

No. Consider two people both wanting a taxi, and as one approaches you see the other person and graciously say ‘oh don’t worry I’ll get the next one’. The approaching taxi would strictly speaking be the next one, but you both know you mean the one after that. Because the approaching taxi is ‘this one’, it’s already in the current context. By analogy, ‘this’ Saturday is the one in this current context, and I would say ‘next Saturday’ to mean the one after the current context.

imnotverygood

No. Consider two people both wanting a taxi, and as one approaches you see the other person and graciously say ‘oh don’t worry I’ll get the next one’.

make your examples plausible. The one above would never ever happen.

Cougar

Consider two people both wanting a taxi, and before one approaches you say ‘oh don’t worry I’ll get the next one’. 😁

Honestly, the whole phrase is best avoided. “I’ll get the taxi after yours” / “not this Saturday but the next.”

crazy-legs

Is the taxi taking you to the Premier Inn?
    Is it on a conveyor belt?

northernmatt

This thread is no longer about OPs question.

Saturday is the one coming.
    Next Saturday is the one after that.
    Saturday after next is the one after that.
    Then you get into just giving the people the date after this, unless you’re a lunatic and start saying things like Saturday after after next.

colournoise

November 26. This Saturday.
    December 3. Next Saturday.
    December 10. Saturday after next.

Erm, but that last one also means the same as the second one?

English is a wonderful but crap language…

doris5000

Question two: is “the other day”

– Specifically, the day before yesterday
    – any day in the last week or so
    – any day since about 1986

crazy-legs

Question two: is “the other day”

– Specifically, the day before yesterday

Anyone using it to mean
    needs to be shot.

zilog6128

No. Consider two people both wanting a taxi, and as one approaches you see the other person and graciously say ‘oh don’t worry I’ll get the next one’.

No. in your analogy there are already 2 taxis, so it is only comparable in the specific case that it’s actually Saturday today so “next Saturday” is literally in 1 weeks time.

fazzini

(e.g. For a stay arriving on Saturday, you can cancel until….

the 12th of Jelember

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.