Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maternity Leave & Redundancy….
  • Kryton57

Anyonw know what an employee’s rights are during maternity leave, should it be proposed that they are made redundant?

I’m led to believe its the same as being employed, and they wouldn’t be protected at all.

druidh
    Free Member

Correct – but they cannot be treated unfairly as a result of being on maternity leave.

djglover
    Free Member

Its no different at all, as long as a proper process has been followed you can be made redundant whilst on maternity leave

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

All above is entirely correct (coming from the husband of a pregnant woman who was made redundant whilst pregnant).

Unfortunately for her boss, she said to my wife ‘It was between you and xxxx and as you are pregnant we thought it was best to make your position redundant’. Stupid woman. She ended up without a job herself 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

Had the same situation as Fanylion.
    They made Mrs Fish redundant on the day she went on maternity leave. Ironically she was dealing with HR at the time so she negotiated a good deal with herself. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

While it is possible to make someone redundant while pregnant it is very esy to make it an unfair decision so sensible employers either don’t do it or make sure they are scrupulously fair.

HR / management are usually such plonkers ( as above) tho that they cock it up and the pregnant ex employer gets a nice payoff

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and the pregnant ex employer gets a nice payoff

Unfortunately for us my wife didn’t – they sacked her boss and offered my wife her job back instead. She declined and agreed favourable terms but nothing like the sums normally expected (our solicitor advised that we may not get a penny if we didn’t accept this offer so we decided we didn’t need the hassle whilst heavily pregnant).

Never mind.

edlong
    Free Member

As above, it’s such a potential minefield that may employers will be reluctant to get rid of a pregnant employee as it can be high risk, unless the circumstances mean it isn’t, by which I mean (both real scenarios):

1) Employee is cr*p and well on the way to being sacked for being cr*p, goes off on maternity, redundancy situation arises in that area, HR advise to not even think about selecting her for redundancy due to high risk of discrimination allegation and tribunal situation, far more able colleague loses job instead.

2) Office is being closed and everyone is being redundant, person on maternity is made redundant along with the rest.

It was the same person in (1) and (2) btw.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maternity Leave & Redundancy….’ is closed to new replies.