Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Mate or pal?
  • blokeuptheroad

I’m not sure if this is a regional thing, but what is your default term for someone you interact with, whose name you don’t know, to whom you wish to convey a friendly demeanor?

It’s always ‘mate’ for me. Also useful when chatting to someone in a group whose name you should know, having been previously been introduced but have forgotten!

I don’t mind being called mate by complete strangers. It’s friendly, welcoming, convivial. ‘Pal’ on the other hand…

I’ve no idea why, but for some irrational reason I get mildly irked when someone calls me ‘pal’. I know it’s not intended that way, but to my ears it always sounds a bit disingenuous, sarky even. I do realise this is all in my head and it’s my issue, I just think it’s interesting how we sometimes react to certain words in an irrational way.

I grew up in Chester (though long since left) where mateists were the majority but where there were a sizeable cohort of palists.

thols2

Bud, or buddy if it’s a formal situation.

pandhandj
    Free Member

The accepted term here is “big man”.

docgeoffyjones

Kind Sir

itstig

Squire

blokeuptheroad

Bud, or buddy if it’s a formal situation.

I quite like that, but does feel a bit faux ‘merican.

onehundredthidiot

Fella or chap

blokeuptheroad

The accepted term here is “big man”.

Norn Iron? I like that. I lived there for a while and heard it a lot. Often preceded by ‘what about ye…’.

fasthaggis

Awright flower

pandhandj
    Free Member

@blokeuptheroad

I’m west coast of Scotland but I believe it to be popular in most of the central belt. And obviously in NI too!

NB – “big yin” is also socially acceptable.

robbo1234biking

Duck or ducky around here (luckily Im not from around here!)

blokeuptheroad

Duck or ducky around here (luckily Im not from around here!)

Nottingham or surrounds? My commiserations! 😉

TheDTs
    Free Member

If it’s a delivery, bus, truck, taxi, uplift or train driver,
    “Cheers drive” or just “drive with a nod” That’s definitely a local thing. “Mate” otherwise.

Yes “Pal” also seems to be a bit not quite right to me also. Mainly due to An altercation with a very drunk person in Scotland once. But that’s a whole other story.

blokeuptheroad

“Cheers drive” or just “drive with a nod” That’s definitely a local thing.

Brizzle or south Wales?

irc

Ive frequently been called big man. But I’m 6ft3. Is there a cut off height?

kilo

Treacle or big boy – depends on the exact nature of the interaction.

singlespeedstu

Mucka, butt,pal, bro, dude or mate depending on where I am.

plus-one

Darling

robbo1234biking

Nottingham or surrounds? My commiserations! 😉

Edge of Derby – its actually a convenient location to live for getting round the country with good riding as well. And Im not from here either! 😀

thols2

I quite like that, but does feel a bit faux ‘merican.

All Americans are faux, it’s not a real country, let’s face it, all their national foods are stolen from other countries and most important places are just named after some foreign place.

redthunder
    Free Member

NTSC

redthunder
    Free Member

You, Sir!

blokeuptheroad

And Im not from here either! 😀

Yeah, I think you did mention that. Noted! 😀

kayak23

Fam, cuz or bredrin.
    If anyone calls me ‘chap’ I shall rip their limbs off and feed them to piranha.

If a female style of person calls me mate, it always feels a bit weird.
    Don’t know why that should be though.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I generally go for mate but then do have a good friend who I often call pal just because when we dated we visited Scotland and had such a good time that its a nod back to a nice trip and he does the same. Interested as to whether you all go for mate or pal for female friends too or do we get greeted more formally? fairly sure I’d be offended by fella! I’d accept fella more than ‘love’ and if you refer to me that way I may have to try to inflict some damage!!

scruff
    Free Member

Homes,
    homeslice,
    homies (plural),
    blade.

stretch…
    Free Member

Mate, buddy or marra
    Pal is usually reserved for a more forthright approach

doomanic

Pal feels a bit aggressive for some reason, possibly related to a film or TV show. Mate is used for acquaintances, bud or buddy for friends.

scotroutes

Bud, buddy, fella, dood. Possibly Jimmy.

aide

Dood, squire or fella for me, – I’m useless at remembering people’s names

ta11pau1

Mate for me, pal definitely is more localised to certain cities, scousers etc.

james-rennie

Where I grew up round Tottenham and Edmonton, Mate was said with a smile, and Pal was said with a stoney face.

I imagine it like this…
    “You’re not really supposed to park there mate, but it should be alright if you’re quick”
    ..or this…
    “You can’t park there pal, move or I’ll move it for you”

However Pal feels completely friendly in other parts of the UK

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pal always comes across as aggressive in a “what you looking at pal?” kind of way.

Mate is fine but I detest the use of matey. Chap also riles me for some reason.

blokeuptheroad

Pal is usually reserved for a more forthright approach

Pal feels a bit aggressive for some reason

“You can’t park there pal, move or I’ll move it for you”

Pal always comes across as aggressive in a “what you looking at pal?” kind of way

This is the reassurance I was seeking! Glad it’s not just me!  Genuinely interested in all the variations and trying to guess where they are from.

@golfchick
    I would use ‘mate’ for female friends, but strangely not for someone I’d just met the way I might for a male. Not sure why, it would just feel a little bit overly familiar I suppose.  Though no clue why it wouldn’t for a male? Weird.

gingerflash

“I’ve no idea why, but for some irrational reason I get mildly irked when someone calls me ‘pal’.”

This. It always feels like a prelude to a punch. I really dislike bud or buddy too.

In all honesty i think i avoid any of those terms, and either use people’s names or nothing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Marra, pal or mate.

Possibly Jimmy.

I was in the Milton Hotel in Fort William (now the Ben Nevis Hotel) at the SSDT back in the 70’s & a very drunken Scotsman says to me, ‘what’s ya name Jimmy’?
    Unsurprisingly he didn’t seem surprised when I told him it was Jimmy.

revs1972
    Free Member

“Cheers drive” or just “drive with a nod” That’s definitely a local thing. “Mate” otherwise.

Said Cheers Drive to the pilot when we disembarked last week. Gave me a funny look 😂😂

chakaping
    Free Member

Bud, or buddy

Anything but this.

Where I grew up round Tottenham and Edmonton, Mate was said with a smile, and Pal was said with a stoney face.

I’m from that neck of the woods too originally, totally agree. Now living in one of the country’s biggest pal hotspots near Mcr. Took me a few years to stop bristling when people called me it.

ads678

Mate for me generally. I **** hate chap!!🤬

MoreCashThanDash

Bud or buddy round here if you know each other.

The more formal “mi duck” if not previously introduced.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.