Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • matching tyre criticism
  • swiss01
    Free Member

so i’m having a bit of a fettle and discover a hole in the wall of one of my road bike tyres. i retreat inside to have a wee look to see what i can get in the way of a replacement. i like these schwalbes i mull, maybe i’ll get them in red to match the frame.

at which point my oh pipes up witheringly – tyres to match your bike? that’s so gay.

after berating her for the obvious inflammatory homophobia of her comment she nevertheless stuck to her guns. what next she suggests, matching shoes? and perhaps i’d fancy being in one of those sidi adverts…

is she correct. matching tyres – a step too far?

RealMan
    Free Member

Not at all, tyres should either be black or match the bike in some way.

My bike is black and red with white decals. So is my waterbottle and cages. And my shoes.

clubby

I always have matching shoes.
    Well, one matches the other at least.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    angryratio
    Free Member

Well as you’ll know already… a lot of people who ride any bike believe they look “cool” and “rad” or “aero” or some such toss.
    In reality all we do is look atractive to others of the same sex because our gear cables are the right length, or the right number of stackers are below the stem.

we’re all suckers for the bike company ad mans magic.

I’m off to polish my annodised bolts.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    My bike is black and red with white decals. So is my waterbottle and cages. And my shoes.

swiss01 – Member
    that’s so gay.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tyres should be black, black with skinwalls, or black with whitewalls.

Any other colour is acceptable only if on a retro BMX or mountain bike (see Onza Porcs or butterscotch Psychos for example)

Anything else is for fixie-riding ****monkeys only. 😉

Zoolander
    Free Member

Black bike and black tyres…. Works for me!

I have to admit to having lots of matching red bits though – so I do understand completely!

tomaso
    Free Member

There is a fine line between some choice colour co-ordination and looking a bit ghey. Matching cycling kit to co-ordinate with your bike is in my opinion too far.

Its a bit like those adverts you see for motorcycle leathers that say bought new bike and it doesn’t match – ok if you like looking like a power ranger.

radar
    Free Member

Flicking through the roadie mags at the moment it is hard not to notice how much kit is based on red/white/black colour scheme.

Mainly blue road frame, blue bling, black and blue Vittorias, blue valve caps
    Grey mtb frame, red bling, black tyres, red valve caps

Sad but satisfyingly sad

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have matching jersey, shoes and water bottles for my road bike.

radar: where did you get red valve caps?

slowrider
    Free Member

Pook to the thread please! Pink tyres to match his pink bits…

swiss01
    Free Member

i am not alone then.

or as mrs swiss has just muttered – you and your lycra bromance pals

(and followed it up, seeing as we’re watching the fort william shenanigans – that emmeline ragot, i bet she’s not worried what colour tyres she’s got)

slowrider
    Free Member

Ha! I like her already. My mrs gets colour coordination; wife swap?

njee20
    Free Member

Black tyres, a small stripe at most of a neutral colour. Anything else looks crap!

I match helmets/glasses/kit though!

aracer
    Free Member

what next she suggests, matching shoes?

Presumably she doesn’t have shoes to coordinate with her clothes then?

crikey
    Free Member

Pah.

Tyres should be chosen for the tyre. If you can colour co-ordinate them that’s good, but not the major reason for choice.

Black and green Pave tyres for the Classics…

radar
    Free Member

red valve caps – air b tubes (yonks ago). Schraeder ones crop up from time, presta much harder to get hold of. Alternatively visit Purely Custom – alu presta valve caps in literally any colour you want. More bling than you could shake a stick at (cable ends, ahead caps etc)

senorj

I have blue & red bits on my bikes.
    I also have matching helmet and shoes.HA.tart.
    Re tyres – what Capt flashheart said.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Is it your bike?

Otherwise why worry?

wynne
    Free Member

My wife thought there was something wrong with me when I matched my nipples with my flanges. She has no idea.

Carry on up the Singletrack…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don’t like coloured road tyres.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘matching tyre criticism’ is closed to new replies.