Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Matching skirting board
  • blitz

Need to replace a section of skirting board and having real trouble finding a match to what’s there already. The boards are 144mm and appear to be Ogee profile but the boards I’ve found in Homebase and Wicks which appeared to be the same don’t actually match.

The ones in situ have 95mm of board with the remainder architrave but all I can seem to find is boards with 119mm of board and a shallower portion of architrave making up the remainder of the 144mm height. Anyone point me in the right direction?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Where abouts in the world are you? We can run an exact copy if you are anywhere near Exeter, I’m sure there will be a company near you (if we aren’t) that can do the same.

blitz

In Kent. Didn’t think about custom options.  Will have a look if can’t get anything off the  peg.

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s a whole host of online retailers to work your way through.  I failed when trying to find matching stuff for my 110yr house (both skirting and door & window architrave)…In the end I had to go with the best match (everything was replaced as we were knocking through two rooms).

You can have it profiled and made to match if you fail to find the identical size….but it’s not cheap.

blitz

The house was only built in 2004 so was hoping it was relatively standard stuff used and wouldn’t be too hard to track down.

maccruiskeen

Homebase and Wicks

worth trying a local timber supplier rather than a nationwide chain. Particularly if your house is one a many built at the same time / same era. They’re  more likely to stock styles of moulding that have been used frequently in the local housing stock

EDIT – typed that as you were typing – if its fairly new then local trade stockists are still a better bet than DIY stores. The only down side is they’ll sell it in bits 4 – 5m long 🙂

wildc4rd
    Free Member

No, a match is never cheap for short runs as the machining cost is a set figure. It would be around £6.30 a meter for the timber and a flat £40.00 set up for a simple skirting. (This would cover up to ~15 meters, after that there would be extra labour costs)

dovebiker

I’ve used a router to make my own – Edwardian house where everything would have been to suit – including the doors which are all different sizes

globalti
    Free Member

I finished off our downstairs bog with PVCu profile with a rolled edge rather than wood. I was very pleased with the result; it’s flexible enough to stick to the wall and follow the imperfections, it doesn’t mind water, doesn’t need painting, doesn’t scratch, doesn’t have knots, which need knotting, and it comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses and is dirt cheap. I will never use wood again for skirting board.

blitz

This is two small sections in the lounge on a chimney breast either side of a wood burner we’ve had fitted. The original skirting was cut around the old fireplace/hearth and the new hearth is narrower and shallower and it no longer matches up.

Probably only 50cm either side that needs repacing but it will look crap if the architraving doesn’t meet and match up with the skirting that runs down the sides of the chimney breast and the rest of the lounge.

BigJohn

Options:

1 Look at skirting4u.co.uk

2 Get something close and add a bit on the bottom to get to the right height

3 Do something entirely different, stylish  and contrasting in the gap.

globalti
    Free Member

Have you tried your local timber merchant? They can often plane to order.

blitz

Managed to find it in the end! Went to local timber merchants who didn’t have it but they suggested trying Jewsons who did.

One tip the timber merchants suggested in case we couldn’t find it, which we hadn’t thought of, was taking some matching skirting from somewhere out of the way like behind a fridge and then bodging that area where it doesn’t really matter. Didn’t have to in the end but it was a useful back up option.

andyl
    Free Member

cut the splice on the angle too rather than butting it up.

andyl
    Free Member

just to be clear I mean angled through the thickness, ie scarfed, not the depth of the skirting.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxuru_I_9NA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Matching skirting board’ is closed to new replies.