Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Massging ones own legs
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Is it worth it for recovery purposes? I know proper massage is meant to allow the release of toxins and whatnot, but if I just give myself a good firm rub down* is it going to do anything other than feel nice?

* this thread is going to get pulled I’m sure.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

You’ll go blind.

grum
    Free Member

Make sure you shave your legs first, to make it easier for the masseur.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

By the way the thread title read I thought it was Prince Charles posting on here !

DezB
    Free Member

There was an article in MBR about it couple a years back. They seemed to think it was beneficial.
    Nice soft music, candles, some scented oils… fill yer boots 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

Change hands at 99

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

A tip I got years ago was to lie on your back with your legs up in the air, leaning your legs against a wall.

Work your way downwards from your ankles, down your calve to your knee, then from your knees up toward your hip.

Then do the other leg. If you can be bothered, keep your legs up like that for a while after youve finished.

Read it in an old road cycling training book.

The idea is to use gravity to help your bloodstream remove the metabolic slag, or something like that.

Dunno if this is rollocks but seemed to work for me.

Really only did this after a long road cycle and seemed to help with recovery a bit.

chakaping
    Free Member

if you use your left hand, it feels like somebody else is doing it

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t think I’m flexible enough to attempt that!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nickquinn – and give yourself a great ab workout at the same time 😯

The gravity part sounds silly though – all the blood going down there has to come back up again even when you’re standing up, doesn’t it?

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I think it’s alright to bend your legs while your doing it 😳

This post has the potential to go badly wrong.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

metabolic slag

Insert own punchline here.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Being serious one of those pilates roller things does a great job using your own body weight

However “massaging” yourself having been out in public wearing nowt but lycra for a while is grounds for being locked up

DezB
    Free Member

I love that this ad has appeared on the thread –

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

/sensible answer coming up/

use a foam roller and compression tights. lying in the waterfall yoga pose is also meant to be good.

i prefer to pay someone for sports massages – diy not as good.

jonb
    Free Member

google “the stick”

lucien

If you lie on your arms first, until they go to sleep, it feels like someone else is doing it – so I’m told…………..

hilldodger
    Free Member

It can certainly help, and the roller/tights suggestion is pretty good.

A quick post rise routine is to lay down, legs up but supported, hands either side of thigh in line with leg and ‘wobble’ the thigh muscles slowly by moving the hands 2-3″
    Also can try cupping hands around lower calf, finger towards shins and slowly ‘milking’ the muscle by moving hands towards the knee and sliding back towards the ankle with reduced pressure.

However, it’s also important to prevent blood pooling in the lower legs, so good to sit with feet up as soon as possible after riding. Preferably relaxing with a post ride rehydration beverage 🙂

Seriously though, I’m pretty convinced that the ‘drive to riders’ can suffer more than the ‘ride from homers’ – several hours spent in the typical car seat posture is not good for leg recovery, even worse if you’re the driver and have to keep using the flexors/extensors of the lower leg to operate pedals and are more restricted in being able to shift your posture.

EDIT molgrips, you’re right the blood will return of it’s own accord but tissue fluid/lymphatic fluid will not. Lower limbs can also impede blood return due to overcontracted muscles constricting the veins.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Massging ones own legs’ is closed to new replies.