Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Mass extinction event.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

If the boffins and governments and general people in the know were aware that there was a mass extinction event coming up (not specifying a timescale), would you want to know?
    Should they let on?
    Would it lead to the downfall of civilization?
    If so, who cares if it does? Would we essentially ruin our quality of life without rules, laws, jobs, money or could we just “live”?

tomhoward

What do you know? *dons tin foil hat*

bearnecessities

I’d want to know why they weren’t specifying a timescale.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camo16
    Free Member

wrecker, please tell me you’re not (a) a boffin, (b) a government or (c) a general person in the know.

This is all theoretical, right?

😕

kimbers

shit is it time to instigate my Doomsday plan…….

Im seconds away from downing a bottle of Glenlivvet 70yr single malt, stripping naked and propositioning every woman in a 500 metre radius

wrecker
    Free Member

What do you know? *dons tin foil hat*

I wouldn’t worry. I’m not even sure what day it is.

richmtb

We are currently in the middle of a mass extinction event. We are largely the cause of it.

CountZero

shit is it time to instigate my Doomsday plan…….
    Im seconds away from downing a bottle of Glenlivvet 70yr single malt, stripping naked and propositioning every woman in a 500 metre radius

Every woman? 😯
    You wouldn’t if you lived near me!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Haven’t we had one already??

McHamish
    Free Member

We are currently in the middle of a mass extinction event. We are largely the cause of it.

This is true.

Also, oxygen is poisonous…it just takes about 80 years to die from it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Should I cancel my subscription? I’d hate to waste the money.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

would you want to know?

yes. I sometimes ponder on what it would be like to live in world free of the shackles of conformity and society. mainly I think about post-apocalypse rather than pre.

a more interesting question is ‘what would you do?’
    If it was certain death then I think my answer would be very different to if there was a chance of survival. If it was certain death, I think my answer might upset my family…

zilog6128

yes. I sometimes ponder on what it would be like to live in world free of the shackles of conformity and society.

IMO society is the only thing that separates us from animals – “nice” behaviour is completely unnatural and would very soon disappear if society ceased to exist. So if you were top dog or in a big gang it might be fun, otherwise not so much, I’d wager.

Pretty sure this has been comprehensively covered in many disaster/apocalypse films. The government will just retreat to a bunker and leave everybody else to figure it out amongst themselves. Military might try to preserve order for a while but they won’t last long.

fasthaggis

brakes
    Free Member

I think I’d create some zombies as that would give everyone something to focus on.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

separates us from animals

Strange. Other (note: other) animals don’t regulate themselves in tribal groups and look after their young and old? Have I been misinformed?

CountZero

The government will just retreat to a bunker and leave everybody else to figure it out amongst themselves.

Hope they’ve organised a new one then; the old one under Copenacre near Corsham was closed years ago, and is pretty derelict now.
    Used to be almost a city undr there, about 150′ down. Whole site has now been sold.
    Pretty amazing place, there’s photos on the net, somewhere.

samuri
    Free Member

Strange. Other (note: other) animals don’t regulate themselves in tribal groups and look after their young and old? Have I been misinformed?

Yes. Other animals very much organise themselves into tribal groups and while they do tend to look after their young, their old, on the most part are pushed out of society and left to die.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s not going to end well.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Just googled that Copenacre place, holy cow!

chambord
    Free Member

According to the majority of Horizon episodes, we’re all going to die any minute now.

Off the top of my head I can remember mega tsunamis, mega volcanoes and asteroids all waiting to kill every one of us.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

a more interesting question is ‘what would you do?’

I’d run outside and put the recycling in all the wrong bins

zilog6128

No need for the sarcasm you divvy 😀 Yes animals organise themselves into groups to ensure the survival of their genes whereas humans often do it for fun. Would you actually enjoy being in the human equivalent of an ant colony, toiling ceaselessly until you die? Or as a lion where there is an alpha male and all other males are attacked and driven away? What do you think animal groups do when they encounter other groups who have things they need (food/territory)? Do you think they share and play nicely?

hot_fiat

Would you actually enjoy being in the human equivalent of an ant colony, toiling ceaselessly until you die?

You seen the inside of a call centre or any of HP’s offices?

philconsequence
    Free Member

the question is not “what would i do”, but more a case of “who would i do”

fasthaggis

I’d run outside and put the recycling in all the wrong bins

😆

CheesybeanZ

[/quoteI’d run outside and put the recycling in all the wrong bins

Brilliant 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

What if it was specified at say, 100 years?
    Would we carry on working away so that we can get BMWs and iPads and ceramic hobs? Would business owners bother any more? Their business’ would be next to worthless, money will burn eventually and there wouldn’t be much point in leaving it to their kids.
    Would the birth rate plummet?
    Alchohol and drug consumption would probably hit the roof.

hot_fiat

100 years is probably enough time to build some sort of escape mechanism or effect mitigator. Not for everyone, but enough to ensure species survival. We’re pretty clever when we put our minds to it. Though if the sun was found to be going kaput then we’re all screwed.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I find the ubiquitous line about “end of the world is nigh, so let’s all have sex” interesting; shirley impending doom will act as a pretty significant passion killer…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Plenty of time to move.

camo16
    Free Member

Ahh, then I’d stop writing the novel that will surely define our age for future generations (its rare blend of sophistication, humour and no little wit destined to make said opus a future Penguin classic). Simultaneously, I’d desist washing/shaving/going to work/talking politely to idiots and openly talk hotties into ‘one last bang before the big one hits’.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

You’ll know if a mass extinction event is coming.
    I’ll say “pull my finger” first.

mrmo
    Free Member

If the boffins and governments and general people in the know were aware that there was a mass extinction event coming up (not specifying a timescale), would you want to know?

look around you, we are in a mass extinction event….

wrecker
    Free Member

look around you, we are in a mass extinction event….

In that case, f*** work. I’m off to the pub.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It is here…. we’ve got the highest level of extinction since that space brick hit mexico

well done us.

wrecker
    Free Member

highest level of extinction

Is that us chopping down rainforests and huntin’ and fishin’?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

More farming and building, open cast mining, discharging untreated effluent

but yeah, that kind of thing…CONSUMING

anyhoo, off to the classifieds for more of the same

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mass extinction event.’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts